ssh to local machine fails unless tricked

Hi,

I have a raspberry pi which I have installed freebsd on. It is a Model “B” 512 MB version.

I have been asking around and had a great deal of trouble connecting via shh to this via ethernet cable (Cat 5E).
The Pi is only connected to this machine (workstation-xw62.home) via a cable from the ethernet plug in the rear of the computer, and, likewise on the front of the Raspberry Pi.
When I am connected to the Pi from xw62.home I am not connected to the internet or modem/router/bridge.

I was just looking through some previous posts before and I saw mention of wicked, so I thought I would try it. In the process of doing this the initialization of the network interface allowed me to connect or something. I switched back to network manager after reading some of the help on the dialogue. After that I just plugged the computer into the internet so that network manager would initialize and it worked… I could ssh to the Pi.

My network setup is not well done. For now though I would like to fix the ssh behaviour so that I can connect to the Pi. I have spent some time investigating the FreeBSD end of the problem and am trying this side now.

Thanks,

a5’

Maybe you could tell us what is this ssh behavior that you are seeing, and that you want to fix.

I am not having any problems at all with ssh to connect to local machines (or remote machines where I have an account).

Hello,

Specifically, I think I get Network is unreachable or, Name or service not known.

Thanks,

a5’

ito@xw62-work:~> ssh root@70.44.113.89
ssh: connect to host 70.44.113.89 port 22: Network is unreachable
ito@xw62-work:~> host -a 70.44.113.89
Trying "89.113.44.70.in-addr.arpa"
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
ito@xw62-work:~> ssh root@snaokwrx
ssh: Could not resolve hostname snaokwrx: Name or service not known
ito@xw62-work:~> ssh root@snaokwrx.com
ssh: Could not resolve hostname snaokwrx.com: Name or service not known
ito@xw62-work:~> host -a snaokwrx.com
Trying "snaokwrx.com"
ito@xw62-work:~> host -a snaokwrx
Trying "snaokwrx.home"
ito@xw62-work:~> 

ito@xw62-work:~> netstat -a
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State      
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN      
tcp        0      0 localhost:ipp           *:*                     LISTEN      
tcp        0      0 localhost:smtp          *:*                     LISTEN      
tcp        0    118 70.44.113.83:43524      74.125.225.147:https    FIN_WAIT1   
tcp        0    118 70.44.113.83:43100      204.186.215.53:https    FIN_WAIT1   
tcp        0    118 70.44.113.83:44724      74.125.226.77:https     FIN_WAIT1   
udp        0      0 localhost:ntp           *:*                                 
udp        0      0 *:ntp                   *:*                                 
udp        0      0 *:53646                 *:*                                 
udp        0      0 *:ipp                   *:*                                 
udp        0      0 *:mdns                  *:*                                 
udp        0      0 xw62-work.local:ntp     *:*                                 
udp        0      0 *:50654                 *:*                                 
raw        0      0 *:ipv6-icmp             *:*                     7     

ito@xw62-work:~> sudo ifconfig 
root's password:
enp1s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:17:08:2A:25:A5  
          inet6 addr: fe80::217:8ff:fe2a:25a5/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:90175 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:70663 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:108999445 (103.9 Mb)  TX bytes:8036569 (7.6 Mb)
          Interrupt:16 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:164 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:164 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:13616 (13.2 Kb)  TX bytes:13616 (13.2 Kb)

AFTER PLUGGING IN MACHINE xw62 to INTERNET

ito@xw62-work:~> sudo ifconfig 
enp1s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:17:08:2A:25:A5  
          inet6 addr: fe80::217:8ff:fe2a:25a5/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:90175 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:70679 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:108999445 (103.9 Mb)  TX bytes:8040373 (7.6 Mb)
          Interrupt:16 

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:164 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:164 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:13616 (13.2 Kb)  TX bytes:13616 (13.2 Kb)

udp        0      0 *:bootpc                *:*                                 
udp        0      0 70.44.113.83.res-cm:ntp *:*                                 
udp        0      0 *:tl1-raw-ssl           *:*                                 
udp        0      0 *:60656                 *:*                                 
Active UN

AFTER PLUGGING RPi BACK INTO XW62

ito@xw62-work:~> host -a snaokwrx
Trying "snaokwrx.ptd.net"
ito@xw62-work:~> host -a 70.44.113.89
Trying "89.113.44.70.in-addr.arpa"

udp        0   1536 70.44.113.83.res-:33849 24.229.54.212:domain    ESTABLISHED 
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Fla

AFTER CONNECTING VIA SSH

ito@xw62-work:~> ssh root@70.44.113.89
Password for root@:
Password for root@:
Last login: Wed Dec  3 07:31:32 2014 from 70.44.113.83
FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE (RPI-B) #0 r274401: Wed Nov 12 04:42:19 UTC 2014

Welcome to FreeBSD!

Release Notes, Errata: https://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/
Security Advisories:   https://www.FreeBSD.org/security/
FreeBSD Handbook:      https://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/
FreeBSD FAQ:           https://www.FreeBSD.org/faq/
Questions List: https://lists.FreeBSD.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions/
FreeBSD Forums:        https://forums.FreeBSD.org/

Documents installed with the system are in the /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd/
directory, or can be installed later with:  pkg install en-freebsd-doc
For other languages, replace "en" with a language code like de or fr.

Show the version of FreeBSD installed:  freebsd-version ; uname -a
Please include that output and any error messages when posting questions.
Introduction to manual pages:  man man
FreeBSD directory layout:      man hier

Edit /etc/motd to change this login announcement.
root@:~ # 

LOCAL

tcp        0      0 70.44.113.83.res-:46688 70.44.113.89:ssh        ESTABLISHED 
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)

RPi

root@:~ # netstat -a
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0      0 70.44.113.89.ssh       70.44.113.83.46688     ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0 *.ftp                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 *.ftp                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0 70.44.113.89.telnet    *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0 70.44.113.89.ssh       *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0 70.44.113.89.ftp       *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0 *.ssh                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 *.ssh                  *.*                    LISTEN
Active UNIX domain sockets
Address  Type   Recv-Q Send-Q    Inode     Conn     Refs  Nextref Addr
c2a77b00 stream      0      0 c2a5ec60        0        0        0 /var/run/devd.pipe
c2a77a50 seqpac      0      0 c2a5eb40        0        0        0 /var/run/devd.seqpacket.pipe
root@:~ # 

Okay.

That’s a network problem, rather than an “ssh” problem. You just happen to notice it when using “ssh”.

Your “ifconfig” outputs show a link-local IPv6 address, but no IPv4 address.

AFTER PLUGGING IN MACHINE xw62 to INTERNET

I’m not sure what you are saying there.

If your computer was not connected to a network, then it is not surprising that you could not make a network connection. And it is not surprising that plugging in to a network changed this.

If your ssh is just back to the same computer, then use “ssh localhost” to connect. That only depends on a virtual local network. If you ssh is to another home computer, then you need some sort of connection to the local network for that.

I am probably still not understanding the problem.

you mean

inet6 addr: fe80::217:8ff:fe2a:25a5/64

but nothing like

inet addr:127.0.0.1 

in other words no inet but inet6. I was thinking that is the problem because the FreeBSD is set up to use ipv4.

On the RPi when it is connected

ue0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
    options=80001<RXCSUM,LINKSTATE>
    ether b8:27:eb:20:0e:71
    inet 70.44.113.89 netmask

but the entire ifconfig of that interface is missing ipv6 info, maybe. Unfortunately I um unsure which to change and how to do it the Raspberry Pi or The xw6200. On the xw6200 which is running OpenSUSE, I can go into the Network dialog in YAST and turn ipv6 off. I tried that though and it does not seem to work.

inet 70.44.113.89 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 70.255.255.255 
    media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
    nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

Thats Ok, when I end up looking for help I am usually exasperated. I am typing on a hp xw6200 workstation, this is my main computer. After I connect the ethernet from the modem to this machine (xw62.home), I can access the internet. Once Network Manager or some subsystem establishes a connection, I can then unplug the ethernet cable from the modem and plug the ethernet cable from the RPi into it establishing a connection that I can use for ftp and ssh. If I don’t do this trick it does not work.

So the sequence relative to the code I pasted is this;

1.) Starts without label, at this point the xw6200(xw62.home) is disconnected from everything.

2.) AFTER PLUGGING IN MACHINE xw62 to INTERNET – corresponds to the main computer getting connected to modem via ethernet.

3.) AFTER PLUGGING RPi BACK INTO XW62 — corresponds to unplugging the ethernet cable (from the modem) and replacing it
with the ethernet cable (from the RPi).

4.) AFTER CONNECTING VIA SSH – corresponds to connecting with ssh after this sequence which results in a successful ssh
session

INFO

LOCAL – readouts from the xw6200, my main computer and the machine I am typing and using ssh from (to RPi), which is running
OpenSUSE openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64) 64-bit and Gnome Version 3.14.1

RPi — readouts from Raspberry Pi running FreeBSD while connected via ssh (from xw6200)

Thanks a bunch,

a5’

That’s not really a problem. I have only had IPv6 from my ISP for around 6 months. Before that, it was all IPv4, which should be fine.

On the RPi when it is connected

inet 70.44.113.89 netmask

but the entire ifconfig of that interface is missing ipv6 info, maybe.

That should not matter.

Thats Ok, when I end up looking for help I am usually exasperated. I am typing on a hp xw6200 workstation, this is my main computer. After I connect the ethernet from the modem to this machine (xw62.home), I can access the internet. Once Network Manager or some subsystem establishes a connection, I can then unplug the ethernet cable from the modem and plug the ethernet cable from the RPi into it establishing a connection that I can use for ftp and ssh. If I don’t do this trick it does not work.

Okay. I think I’m beginning to understand your problem.

Your issue is that your network card is not initialized unless you are connected to the modem. But you want to disconnect that, so that you can plug the RPI into the same connector.

The best way of solving your problem, is to use a home router.

Your router plugs into the modem (or not, if you don’t want that).

You connect both your main computer and your RPI to the router.

Your computer will then have an IP address from the router, even if the router is not connected to the modem. And you won’t have to switch cables around to connect your RPI.

Okay, that takes a router and maybe an additional ethernet cable. I’m not sure of your budget, but there are probably low cost routers available.

If you lived in the Chicago area, I’d tell you to buy me a coffee and give you an old router (no longer used) and a short cable. But that’s too long a drive from where you live. Maybe there’s a local computer hobbyists club where somebody has a working but no-longer-used router.

I was under the impression that they had to have the same type to interface, but this is vague knowledge.

Budget OK, I appreciate the thought, really! That is very kind of you. That is not really what I am looking for. I intend to have the raspberry as a server and connected to the internet all the time. The only reason I am connecting to it from the xw6200 is to configure it and tinker. I do not think I need a router although I think it would make the current problem go away. I am trying to figure out the configuration details to get it to work, when I plug it in (the Pi).

I mean, I guess simply put, I want the raspberry pi to recognize the xw6200 everytime I connect them via ethernet not only when I switch the xw6200 from the raspberry pi to the modem back to the raspberry pi.

Like I said I have looked at the network configuration stuff in YAST but don’t really get it. Suffice it to say I think it is this end (xw6200, OpenSUSE) that needs to be configured.

thanks,

a5’

To configure a network connection, you need to give it an IP address.

The standard practice is to use “DHCP” to request an IP address from a DHCP server somewhere.

The trick you are using allows your main system to request an IP address, probably from an ISP provided server. And that allows the network to be configured.

An alternative would be for you to manually configure an IP address. But since this has to match what your ISP expects, that can cause problems if the ISP ever changes how it is assigning and routing IP addresses.

When you use a SOHO router (“Small Office Home Office”), that router will run a local DHCP server. The router DHCP server gives out private IP addresses such as 192.168.1.5. When you communicate with the Internet, the router translates all of the packets so that they go out using the public IP address provided by the ISP.

You could still manually assign IP addresses that way. But you would assign addresses within the private IP range supported by the router. Then, even if your ISP changes how it is routing, your home router will manage that part and it won’t affect what you are doing. That will make it a lot easier to do what you are trying.

So, is it possible all I have to do is change the /etc/hosts file to something that is reasonable and it will all work? I have purchased a static ip but am learning how to use it.:shame:.

a5’

No, that’s not enough.

If you are using NetworkManager, then you will need to edit the settings for your ethernet connection. Otherwise, use:
Yast –> Network Devices –> Network Settings
and edit the settings for the ethernet device (give it a fixed IP address).

You may also need to edit “/etc/hosts”.

If you are using NetworkManager, then you will need to edit the settings for your ethernet connection. Otherwise, use:
Yast –> Network Devices –> Network Settings
and edit the settings for the ethernet device (give it a fixed IP address).

I see Network Connections and Network Settings, when I go into Network Settings I now see a warning that

Warning
Network is currently handled by network manager or
completely disabled YaST is unable to configure some options

and I cannot edit the connection/device.

When I go into Network Connections which appears to be

nm-connection-editor (1) - network connection editor for NetworkManager

I have the options, without entering password, to choose

Network Connections —> Wired Connection 1 —> EDIT ----> IPV4 Tab —> Method, Automatic (DHCP), Automatic (DHCP) addresses only, Manual, Link Local Only, Shared to other computers, and Disabled.

From this I gather that the computer is not designed to do something as ad-hoc as plugging in and replacing ethernet cables. This should have been obvious. If I am guessing right, I would choose Link Local Only if this was to be plugged into the raspberry pi and Automatic (DHCP) if it was to be connected to the internet. As you mentioned A router is what is indicated I here I think, or maybe a hub, although I was not intending to do that.

thanks

a5’

That’s the default for laptops and probably machines that look like laptops to the installer.

You can change that if you want. When in Yast Network Settings, go to the “Global Options” tab. There, you can change to using “ifup settings” (versions of opensuse up through 13.1) or “wicked service” (opensuse 13.2).

I don’t think you ever mentioned which version of opensuse you are running.

Whether you should change is a different issue. Given your general unfamiliarity with networking, it might be best to put off that decision for a while.

When I go into Network Connections which appears to be

nm-connection-editor (1) - network connection editor for NetworkManager

I have the options, without entering password, to choose

Network Connections —> Wired Connection 1 —> EDIT ----> IPV4 Tab —> Method, Automatic (DHCP), Automatic (DHCP) addresses only, Manual, Link Local Only, Shared to other computers, and Disabled.

If you choose “Manual”, you should be able to specify an IP address, such as the static IP assigned by your ISP.

From this I gather that the computer is not designed to do something as ad-hoc as plugging in and replacing ethernet cables.

NetworkManager is designed for the needs of laptops. And they are used in a way that depends on plugging or unplugging ethernet cables or connecting to WiFi networks.

This should have been obvious. If I am guessing right, I would choose Link Local Only if this was to be plugged into the raspberry pi and Automatic (DHCP) if it was to be connected to the internet. As you mentioned A router is what is indicated I here I think, or maybe a hub, although I was not intending to do that.

If you have a static IP assigned by your ISP, then use manual and specify that IP address.

Let’s talk a little about hardware.

A switch: At one time, people use hubs. These days we use switches which do roughly the same job but do it better.

With a switch, you would connect the switch to your modem. Then you would connect each computer to the switch.

From the point of view of a computer, this is pretty much the same as directly connecting the computer to the modem, except that if there are two or more computers they are also connected to each other. That would already make life easier for you.

A router: Here, I am talking of a home router, not a large router such as your ISP might have. The home routers are designed to allow several computers to share a network connection, when your ISP has set things up for you to have only one device. The router makes itself the one device that your ISP thinks you have. And then it allows multiple devices to share that connection by using what is called “IP masquerading” or NAT (network address translation) or NAPT (network address and port translation). The router typically has a built-in switch to allow up to 4 devices to directly connect. You can add an additional switch to connect more.

Either a switch or a home router would help you with your setup. I recommend a router, though it may look a tad more complex to setup. You can get an idea of prices by browsing to Amazon or NewEgg or other online computer store.

An additional note. Many routers come with software to setup under Windows. You do not need that software and you do not need to be running Windows. You can set it up with a web browser. And you can ask on this forum, if you need help setting it up. Usually it will work out of the box, and you only need to go into setup to do non-standard things (such as making your RPI a server).

OK,

xw6200
openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64) 64-bit
Gnome Version 3.14.1

RPi
FreeBSD 10.1

Modem
Motorola Surfboard SB6141

If you choose “Manual”, you should be able to specify an IP address, such as the static IP assigned by your ISP.

Yes, I understand, I am trying to fix a problem with the Pi, so I needed to access it locally. I am not sure how I was going to go about having access to the internet from both computers. I had a reasonable concept of hubs, and routers. I was not aware that one could buy a switch.

If you have a static IP assigned by your ISP, then use manual and specify that IP address.

That is manual in Network Manager. OK. Again though, not sure about how I am going to go about this and I was only trying to temporarily access the raspberry pi through ssh.

thanks,

a5’

Right. And you had problems with that, because it needed an IP address (on both systems) in order to communicate.

You can actually just make up IP addresses to use (of the form n.n.n.n where each “n” is an 8-bit number). Have the two computers agree in all but the last of those numbers and they will be able to communicate.

A made up IP only becomes a problem when you connect to the Internet, because you might have made up an IP that properly is used in Australia or Japan or wherever.

IP addresses that begin 192.168. are safe to use at home. That range is reserved for private networks, so they will never conflict.

What a router would do, is make up those two IP addresses for you, and allow you to request them with DHCP (which your computers are probably already trying to do).

Yes, and that is exactly what I saw going on, in fact in the info that I posted early on. The Pi has taken up the 77.44.113.89 while the xw6200 has 77.44.113.83. I am interested in understanding this, which is one of the reasons I don’t really want to buy a router. I was thinking that it is possible with what I have. I think I set the RPi to have that IP and then the xw6200 assumed that it could take the other one. Have to read some stuff about this now.

Thanks,

a5’