Thread: Suggestions for openSUSE 12.3 to openSUSE 13.2

Default Suggestions for openSUSE 12.3 to openSUSE 13.2

Hello all,

Anyone have any tips/suggestions on how I would go about upgrade a openSUSE 12.3 64bit desktop to openSUSE 13.2?

I have a 3 openSUSE 12.3 desktop installs and all are rock solid.

• All have the latest KDE (4.14.3) from KDE:Current repo.
    • 1 desktop has the nvidia proprietary driver
    • 1 desktop has an Apache web server (personal webcalendar service and my local repo management, etc.). This is not accessible outside of my Intranet.
    • 2 have the latest kernel (3.17.4) from the Kernel:stable repo
    • 1 has postfix configured as a mail relay so that cron can send emails to my ISP email address.
    • All are inaccessible to incomming Internet traffic (NAT'd, router, etc.).
    • All are 64bit installs

I was thinking that I could use the 'zypper dup' method to upgrade all the system. Is there anything I should be aware using that method?

Is there a better method? I would just like to upgrade as to minimise having to restore/reconfigure the system (system services, not too concerned about my KDE desktop config - I can rebulid that if necessary). All machines are using for work and pleasure so I would like to be able to quickly get back to using the computers as soon as possible.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks,

Alvin

Default Re: Suggestions for openSUSE 12.3 to openSUSE 13.2

On 2014-11-28 15:36, alvinbeach wrote:

> I was thinking that I could use the 'zypper dup' method to upgrade all
    > the system. Is there anything I should be aware using that method?

That first you have to upgrade to 13.1, then to 13.2. Not direct.
    And that you must do a full backup.

> Is there a better method?

Which is better, is a matter of preferences. I prefer the offline method.

> Has anyone tried this before?

Hundreds :-)

Some reading material:

Online upgrade method
    Offline upgrade method
    Chapter 16. Upgrading the System and System Changes
    Chapter 16. Upgrading the System and System Changes
    openSUSE 12.3 Release Notes
    openSUSE 13.1 Release Notes
    openSUSE 13.2 Release Notes

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Thanks Carlos, I didn't realise that I had to got to 13.1 first. Good to know!

I prefer offline methods as well. Especially since I have multiple machines that I would like to upgrade. Depending on the size of the distribution repo, I could make a local clone and do a net install/upgrade from my local repo.

In the past I would burn the DVD iso and use that. However, I find that I typically have newer packages installed than what is provided on the DVD. Just means I need to update via the repos. I haven't checked, but I suspect glibc (et al) are probably newer than what came with 12.3. Therefore, I appreciate that I need to download the packages that have been compiled with the newer glibc.

Are there any system issues that I need to be concerned about? I guess, whether my apache config, postfix config, nfs config, etc. can be used or would it be recommended that I reconfigure those services?

Any time you move more then one version (even in steps) there can be issues. One big one it that the configuration file formats/options can change this can introduce problems.

Note that you should be fully patched before moving to next version note that this can be a problem since the repos for older versions may not be where they were. ie thy have been archived. So you have to find them and set the yast/zypper to the new locations.

IMHO you should just do a clean install (first note the important programs you use) Backup the /etc directory for a reference to configurations. Do a clean new install to the root partition keeping your home partition mounted as /home but not formatted.

Once up and running you can load the important programs you use. You can reference your old /etc for config files if you need to. This will actually take less time then futzing with upgrade issues. Unless you like fuzing around

Thumbs up Re: Suggestions for openSUSE 12.3 to openSUSE 13.2

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    IMHO you should just do a clean install (first note the important programs you use) Backup the /etc directory for a reference to configurations. Do a clean new install to the root partition keeping your home partition mounted as /home but not formatted.

Once up and running you can load the important programs you use. You can reference your old /etc for config files if you need to. This will actually take less time then futzing with upgrade issues. Unless you like fuzing around
    I have a cron job that backups up /etc as well as other dirs, so that would be fine. Now that I think of it, I think it may just be quicker in the end to just do a fresh install. If it was just one version jump, I think upgrading would be fine. Since I am two behind now, this may be the way to go.

Thanks all for the feedback!

On 2014-11-28 17:06, alvinbeach wrote:

> I have a cron job that backups up /etc as well as other dirs, so that
    > would be fine.

I strongly recommend doing a full backup, not just etc. Even an image.

> Now that I think of it, I think it may just be quicker in
    > the end to just do a fresh install. If it was just one version jump, I
    > think upgrading would be fine. Since I am two behind now, this may be
    > the way to go.

With the dvd (offline method) you can jump two.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2014-11-28 16:26, alvinbeach wrote:
    >
    > Thanks Carlos, I didn't realise that I had to got to 13.1 first. Good to
    > know!

With zypper dup, yes. Unless you really know what you are doing and take certain steps, in which case you can attempt the jump. Some people do.

Basically it means updating first zypper and its toolchain.

With the dvd, you can jump two, perhaps three versions. I jumped from 11.4 to 12.3, for instance. No big problems, just some nuisances.

> I prefer offline methods as well. Especially since I have multiple
    > machines that I would like to upgrade. Depending on the size of the
    > distribution repo, I could make a local clone and do a net
    > install/upgrade from my local repo.

In that case, you might consider making a local mirror of at least the entire oss and non oss repo. As the DVD can not contain everything, it is advantageous, when you have the capacity, to point the dvd to use the local repo instead (it can be a bit tricky to find the correct combination, as there are variations from version to version).

> In the past I would burn the DVD iso and use that. However, I find that
    > I typically have newer packages installed than what is provided on the
    > DVD. Just means I need to update via the repos. I haven't checked, but I
    > suspect glibc (et al) are probably newer than what came with 12.3.
    > Therefore, I appreciate that I need to download the packages that have
    > been compiled with the newer glibc.

Huh.

The recommendation is to let the upgrade replace everything it wants, to the versions in 13.2. The other recommendation is not to touch glibc. Finally, /me/ recommends recompiling all those apps that have your own versions of.

Finally - before the previous "finally" ;-) - re-add whatever extra repos you need, and switch versions. Doing this in the same step as the "system upgrade", while possible, is quite complicated. I never managed it.

> Are there any system issues that I need to be concerned about? I guess,
    > whether my apache config, postfix config, nfs config, etc. can be used
    > or would it be recommended that I reconfigure those services?

Fight as you go :-)

Run:

Code:
    cp /var/lib/rpm/Packages /dev/null
    rcrpmconfigcheck
    (the first line speeds the query if you have ample RAM). This produces a list of config files to study — for instance:

Code:
    Please check the following files (see /var/adm/rpmconfigcheck):
    /etc/localtime.rpmnew
    /etc/ntp.conf.rpmnew
    /etc/pam.d/common-password.rpmnew
    /etc/pam.d/common-session.rpmnew
    /etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.rpmnew
    /etc/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg.rpmsave
    /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc.rpmnew
    Telcontar:~ #
    ..rpmsave is an old file, replaced with the version in the rpm. .rpmnew are propossed changes. I would create a backup of all those files, plus the currently active files, then run:

Code:
    meld /etc/localtime.rpmnew /etc/localtime
    on each config file, evaluate the differences, and decide which to use. Meld is a magnificent editor-comparator for this purpose.
    Then I delete the /etc/localtime.rpmnew

The final run of "rcrpmconfigcheck" should come out empty.

Notice that this check not only happens during system upgrades, but also after any lifetime update (as my examples above display).

[...]

Huh.

Found a first.

The meld sample above fails, they are binaries:

Code:
    Telcontar:~ # file /etc/localtime.rpmnew /etc/localtime
    /etc/localtime.rpmnew: symbolic link to `/usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/UTC'
    /etc/localtime:        symbolic link to `/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid'

Probably a bug.

Code:
    Telcontar:~ # l /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/UTC /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid
    -rw-r--r-- 13 root root  127 Sep 28 09:22 /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/UTC
    -rw-r--r--  2 root root 2619 Sep 28 09:22 /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid
    Telcontar:~ # file /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/UTC /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/UTC:       timezone data, version 2, 1 gmt time flag, 1 std time flag, no leap seconds, no transition times, 1 abbreviation char
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Madrid: timezone data, version 2, 9 gmt time flags, 9 std time flags, no leap seconds, 164 transition times, 9 abbreviation chars

Thus I have to delete the /etc/localtime.rpmnew link.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.