Thread: How do I find out what directory contains the linux kernel source code? What's the default for 13.1?

Default How do I find out what directory contains the linux kernel source code? What's the default for 13.1?

Cisco VPN client is asking me for "Directory containing linux kernel source code" during the installation process. I have no idea what directory it is or how to find out. Please can anyone help?

Thanks!

Default Re: How do I find out what directory contains the linux kernel source code? What's the default for 1

I think the sources are in /usr/src/linux-3.16.6-2

Default Re: How do I find out what directory contains the linux kernel sourcecode? What's the default for 13.2?

nauru wrote on 11/28/2014 07:06 AM:
    > Cisco VPN client is asking me for "Directory containing linux kernel
    > source code" during the installation process. I have no idea what
    > directory it is or how to find out. Please can anyone help?

If the sources are installed, the path is /usr/src/linux
    It's a symlink to the directory containing the sources for the currently running kernel.

HTH
    Uwe

Default Re: How do I find out what directory contains the linux kernel source code? What's the default f

Quote Originally Posted by Thor_Thenhammer View Post
    I think the sources are in /usr/src/linux-3.16.6-2
    For kernel 3.16.6-2 that is correct.
    But there should be a symlink /usr/src/linux that points to the latest one.

Oh, and you have to install the kernel sources of course. The package is called "kernel-source".

Although kernel-devel and kernel-desktop-devel (if you're using kernel-desktop) should be sufficient as well for compiling kernel modules. (I don't know what the Cisco client needs it for)

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do I find out what directory contains the linux kernel source code? What's the default for 1

Quote Originally Posted by nauru View Post
    Cisco VPN client is asking me for "Directory containing linux kernel source code" during the installation process. I have no idea what directory it is or how to find out. Please can anyone help?

Thanks!
    When I last installed a Cisco VPN client (several years ago), it asked for this directory but told me its guess (which was correct). I did have kernel sources installed.

I think you need to install kernel sources, or at least kernel-devel.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha