Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE menus items gone

Default KDE menus items gone

OpenSUSE 13.1 64 bit.

Since today, prob after some update, when I click the program starter button and then go to programs its all empty.

One other thing I notice to be missing, is yast from the computer tab.

Google gave me this: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...is-not-working

kbuildsycoca4 -noincremental

Code:
    XXXX@linux-wovc:~> kbuildsycoca4 -noincremental
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kbuildsycoca4(8115) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Keywords in "plasma-applet-lockout.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
    kbuildsycoca4(8115) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Keywords in "k3bsetup.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon). 
    kbuildsycoca4(8115): "applications.menu"  not found in  ("/home/guus/.config/menus/", "/etc/xdg/menus/") 

XXXX@linux-wovc:~>

Default Re: KDE menus items gone

Hi,

I think the problem is that the "applications.menu" file is missing in "/home/guus/.config/menus/" and "/etc/xdg/menus/".
    I paste my file on pastebin. Download it and copy the file in the folders mentions above and run
    Code:
    again. Maybe that helps.

http://pastebin.com/REHDq3Xx

Thank you that did help a bit.

When I first tried it it failed.

Then I went looking for the file I had downloaded.
    it had an second extention.txt.

When I removed the .txt extension and run the command again, programs are back in the menu.

Desktop is missing everything what was on their, but I should be able to fix that. I hope I wont have to do it one by one. ( shortcuts )
    This problem might be because of one of my fixing attempts.

And I still have to reboot, so who knows.

Well no you have to logout then back in or run
    kbuildsycoca4

To force an update

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    Thank you that did help a bit.

When I first tried it it failed.

Then I went looking for the file I had downloaded.
    it had an second extention.txt.

When I removed the .txt extension and run the command again, programs are back in the menu.
    Yeah, sorry.
    Fforgot to mention that you have to delete the txt-extension on the end first. My bad .

Desktop is missing everything what was on their, but I should be able to fix that. I hope I wont have to do it one by one. ( shortcuts )
    This problem might be because of one of my fixing attempts.

And I still have to reboot, so who knows.
    Is your problem solved now?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor_Thenhammer View Post
    I think the problem is that the "applications.menu" file is missing in "/home/guus/.config/menus/" and "/etc/xdg/menus/".
    I paste my file on pastebin. Download it and copy the file in the folders mentions above and run
    Code:
    again. Maybe that helps.
    Sorry for joining in late.

But IMHO you should _not_ create the file application.menu manually.

The copy in /etc/xdg/menus is included in the package desktop-data-openSUSE. If it is missing, reinstall that package to fix it:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f desktop-data-openSUSE
    You might miss other files too.

Yes its working again. The file association was broken too.
    All fixed after manual inserting that file.

I will now uninstall and reinstall the opensuse part.

I tried running that comand, that failed, then tried yast, same error

Code:
    1 opnieuw te installeren pakket.
    Totale downloadgrootte: 477,1 KiB Na de operatie zal er geen extra ruimte in gebruik zijn of vrij komen.
    Doorgaan? [j/n/? alle opties tonen] (j): j
    (1/1)  Installeert: desktop-data-openSUSE-13.1-3.1.3  ..........................................................................................................................[fout]
    Installatie van desktop-data-openSUSE-13.1-3.1.3 is mislukt:
    Fout: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM is mislukt: error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: lstat failed - Input/output error
    error: desktop-data-openSUSE-13.1-3.1.3.noarch: install failed

Afbreken, opnieuw, negeren? [a/o/n] (a):
    Installatie = Installation
    is mislukt = it failed.
    fout = error.

it fails to unpack ? wtf ?

Default AW: Re: KDE menus items gone

I tried running that comand, that failed, then tried yast, same error

Code:
    1 opnieuw te installeren pakket.
    Totale downloadgrootte: 477,1 KiB Na de operatie zal er geen extra ruimte in gebruik zijn of vrij komen.
    Doorgaan? [j/n/? alle opties tonen] (j): j
    (1/1)  Installeert: desktop-data-openSUSE-13.1-3.1.3  ..........................................................................................................................[fout]
    Installatie van desktop-data-openSUSE-13.1-3.1.3 is mislukt:
    Fout: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM is mislukt: error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: lstat failed - Input/output error
    error: desktop-data-openSUSE-13.1-3.1.3.noarch: install failed

Afbreken, opnieuw, negeren? [a/o/n] (a):
    Installatie = Installation
    is mislukt = it failed.
    fout = error.

it fails to unpack ? wtf ?
    Well, this might explain why you had the problem in the first place.

First of all, try to clear the zypper caches so that the package is re-downloaded. Right now it is just installed from the download cache, regardless whether you use YaST or zypper. They both use the same library underneath, libzypp.
    Code:
    zypper clean -a
    "Input/Output error" would suggest that you have a problem with your hard disk though.
    Run "dmesg|tail" after trying to install the package and post the output.
    Try to run fsck (boot from a LiveCD to do this, or add "rd.break" to your boot options to stop booting before / is mounted and used to boot from).
    Have a look at the output of smartctl.

Oh dear

Code:
    guus@linux-wovc:~> dmesg|tail
    [ 8632.616327] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.616481] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.624611] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.624824] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.626698] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.627559] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.627713] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.658492] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.688097] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    [ 8632.694264] EXT4-fs error (device sdb2): ext4_lookup:1438: inode #131329: comm rpm: deleted inode referenced: 131761
    guus@linux-wovc:~>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast