Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Accidentally deleted Helvetica

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12

    Default Accidentally deleted Helvetica

    I accidentally removed helvetica in Start=>Configure Desktop=>Font Management, and now some websites in my browser look thouroughly awkward with barely readable fonts. Is there a way to restore Helvetica font? I cannot click on the "defaults" it's greyed out!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Accidentally deleted Helvetica

    Quote Originally Posted by gedalus View Post
    I accidentally removed helvetica in Start=>Configure Desktop=>Font Management, and now some websites in my browser look thouroughly awkward with barely readable fonts. Is there a way to restore Helvetica font?
    There is no "helvetica" in a default openSUSE installation.
    Only "Adobe Helvetica", but that's a bitmap font, so I doubt that you meant that.

    Probably you mean Microsoft's "Arial"? That's similar to Helvetica.
    Then reinstall the package "fetchmsttfonts", this will download and install those fonts.
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f fetchmsttfonts

    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Nov-2014 at 11:34.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Accidentally deleted Helvetica

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    There is no "helvetica" in a default openSUSE installation.
    Only "Adobe Helvetica", but that's a bitmap font, so I doubt that you meant that.

    Probably you mean Microsoft's "Arial"? That's similar to Helvetica.
    Then reinstall the package "fetchmsttfonts", this will download and install those fonts.
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f fetchmsttfonts

    In KDE's font settings?
    "Defaults" is greyed out until you change some settings. But clicking "Defaults" only sets back the settings to the defaults, it doesn't install any fonts.
    Yes, sorry for not giving more info I was in a hurry. OpenSUSE 13.2 and yes, using KDE and yes, KDE's font manager was the place. Actually, i remember seeing "Helvetica" in font management "all fonts section, but of course no more since I removed it. Gonna try that, thanks mate!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Accidentally deleted Helvetica

    Quote Originally Posted by gedalus View Post
    Actually, i remember seeing "Helvetica" in font management "all fonts section, but of course no more since I removed it.
    Well, the only "Helvetica" I see here is "Adobe Helvetica" as mentioned, but I don't think you'd mean that.
    Anyway, this would be part of "xorg-x11-fonts", so try to reinstall that as well:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f xorg-x11-fonts
    Did you install any additional fonts packages?
    You could run "rpm -Va" to find out which package has files missing...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Accidentally deleted Helvetica

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, the only "Helvetica" I see here is "Adobe Helvetica" as mentioned, but I don't think you'd mean that.
    Anyway, this would be part of "xorg-x11-fonts", so try to reinstall that as well:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f xorg-x11-fonts
    Did you install any additional fonts packages?
    You could run "rpm -Va" to find out which package has files missing...
    The "sudo zypper -f xorg-x11-fonts" fixed my problem somehow, not sure what it did but it doesn't matter as long everything works okay. Thanks alot mate! :3

  6. #6

    Default Re: Accidentally deleted Helvetica

    Quote Originally Posted by gedalus View Post
    The "sudo zypper -f xorg-x11-fonts" fixed my problem somehow, not sure what it did but it doesn't matter as long everything works okay. Thanks alot mate! :3
    Well, it copied all files from that packages to the correct places on your hard disk again, including the "Adobe Helvetica" font.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Accidentally deleted Helvetica

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, it copied all files from that packages to the correct places on your hard disk again, including the "Adobe Helvetica" font.
    Reply with quoteTHanks wolfi, you're really helpful mate!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •