Thread: VirtualBox or VMware Player Installs

Default VirtualBox or VMware Player Installs

Anyone have success installing either VirtualBox or VMware Player (free) on openSUSE 13.2? I added the Virtualization (VirtualBox) repo to my list, and installed VirtualBox from the 1-click option for 13.2 located here >> http://software.opensuse.org/package/virtualbox but I cannot find an icon/app to start it. The only one I find that is remotely close is called VBoxGtk, but it doesn't do anything...I'm not sure VMware Player has a openSUSE install, still looking into that.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Default Re: VirtualBox or VMware Player Installs

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireITtech View Post
    I added the Virtualization (VirtualBox) repo to my list, and installed VirtualBox from the 1-click option for 13.2 located here >> http://software.opensuse.org/package/virtualbox but I cannot find an icon/app to start it.
    You don't need an additional repo or a 1-click install to install virtualbox.
    It is included in the distribution, just open YaST and search for it.

The only one I find that is remotely close is called VBoxGtk, but it doesn't do anything...
    vboxgtk doesn't work at all any more.
    Remove it and install virtualbox-qt instead. That's the official GUI, and you should find an icon in the menu afterwards (System->Emulators).
    If not, type "VirtualBox" into a terminal window to start it.

And if you haven't done so already, you have to add your user to the group "vboxusers" to be able to run it.

I'm not sure VMware Player has a openSUSE install, still looking into that.
    There is no RPM package or repo, if that's what you mean.
    The downloadable installer should work fine on openSUSE.

But in my experience they always decisively lag behind the kernel development, so you probably have to hunt down patches to make it work with the recent kernel included in 13.2 (or any new openSUSE release).

All the VirtualBox software says it's installed, but I have no way to run it and I don't see where an executable is for it...is there a command line way to start it?

Why would they have both the repo and the 1-click install if you don't need it?

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireITtech View Post
    All the VirtualBox software says it's installed, but I have no way to run it and I don't see where an executable is for it...is there a command line way to start it?
    I already told you:
    Code:
    VirtualBox
    But again, you need to have "virtualbox-qt" installed. Remove vboxgtk, this doesn't work (and you would have to start it with "vboxgtk" anyway).

Why would they have both the repo and the 1-click install if you don't need it?
    software.opensuse.org is a general search page for openSUSE packages. It offers a 1-click install for any package available.

There is the additional Virtualization repo (even included in YaST's Community Repositories list) which you _can_ use (it always contains the latest version of VirtualBox, and some additional software unrelated to VirtualBox.
    But you do not _need_ it, as VirtualBox is shipped with openSUSE, it is included in the standard repo.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I already told you:
    Code:
    VirtualBox
    My bad sir, I did not see the CODE and I completely missed that part of your reply. I am ashamed and will try to not to do that again

And for anyone else needing to know this, you must also enter your username into the vboxusers group in order to use the application.
    Easiest way is by performing the following as su:
    Code:
    usermod -G vboxusers username
    Replace username with your username, obviously, and either re-login or restart.

Thanks