Thread: gedit latex plugin does not work

Default gedit latex plugin does not work

Hi,
    i am currently testing gnome on my laptop (i always used kde before) thats why i cannot use kile which i used for editing and compiling latex documents.
    I found that on gnome i should use gedit + the latex plugin.
    So i installed the gedit latex plugin via yast and then tried to activate in on gnome, but when doing so the a little error icon pops up next to the plugin entry.
    Another thing that bothers me is that gedit has basically no interface at all iam wondering how the latex plugin will work if i get it activated if there is not room for buttons and such?!

So is there a solution for that? Is gedit + latex plugin really the best choice when working with latex on gnome?

Default Re: gedit latex plugin does not work

Quote Originally Posted by sabo007 View Post
    Hi,
    i am currently testing gnome on my laptop (i always used kde before) thats why i cannot use kile which i used for editing and compiling latex documents.
    No idea about gedit and its latex plugin (I don't use either of them, nor GNOME), but you should be able to use kile in GNOME just fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabo007 View Post
    Hi,
    I found that on gnome i should use gedit + the latex plugin.
    So i installed the gedit latex plugin via yast and then tried to activate in on gnome, but when doing so the a little error icon pops up next to the plugin entry.
    Another thing that bothers me is that gedit has basically no interface at all iam wondering how the latex plugin will work if i get it activated if there is not room for buttons and such?!

So is there a solution for that? Is gedit + latex plugin really the best choice when working with latex on gnome?
    Hi
    It's a bug..... (guess it never got upstreamed?)
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=986892

Quick fix, remove or rem the line 111 "print self.__file.path", opening a terminal and running gedit showed the issue
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No idea about gedit and its latex plugin (I don't use either of them, nor GNOME), but you should be able to use kile in GNOME just fine.
    Further explanation for those new to openSUSE...
    Unlike some other distros which deploy distros pointing to Desktop-specific repos which isolate Desktop deployments(eg Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu), in openSUSE all packages for every supported Desktop come from the same base repos...

So, you can "mix and match" in openSUSE if you wish, installing and running apps from one Desktop(eg KDE) in another Desktop (eg Gnome). You should be aware that the downside is using far more disk space because to install and support that one "alien" app, you'll need to pull down an array of dependencies you won't normally need if you installed apps that are recommended for your Desktop.

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Further explanation for those new to openSUSE...
    Unlike some other distros which deploy distros pointing to Desktop-specific repos which isolate Desktop deployments(eg Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu), in openSUSE all packages for every supported Desktop come from the same base repos...
    AFAIK, even on Ubuntu _everything_ is in the same base repos.
    The different flavours (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu) are just different Live/Installation CD's with different sets of default packages. The base repos are the same.

So it's no problem at all to install KDE applications (or the whole KDE even) on Ubuntu, and GNOME applications on Kubuntu.

Though Ubuntu might not have that many desktop environments available in the standard repos as openSUSE has.