Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ads Coming to Firefox 33.1

Default Ads Coming to Firefox 33.1

In-browser ads are coming to Firefox 33.1, and I don't like this for a number of reasons. One being, that there may be tracking going on even though Mozilla denies this (per user), however I can't trust that. The second, is that Mozilla ran analytics on people before releasing this "feature", and this was to essentially see what users were willing to put up with. What concerns me is that now more analytics will be done to see how to further foist ads on users. This whole thing defies open source and free software concepts, and I haven't heard whether or not the version of Firefox for openSUSE will have this. What a bunch of sellouts.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...in-firefox-331

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ads Coming to Firefox 33.1

I recall a similar discussion a while back (perhaps at a different site).

But these sponsored ads are in tiles for the new tab page. I never see tiles, so I guess I won't see ads.

If you can turn it off, why is this a problem?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by pirithous View Post
    What a bunch of sellouts.
    How would you see Mozilla being funded?

Fundraisers which is essentially begging for money from people?
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

The problem, to me, is that it sets the wrong precedent. It's more data coming to users with the potentiality for an attack surface, and it's data going the other way over the line back to a central server. How can we guarantee that the data received by Mozilla is going to be stripped of identifying individual users? It's just like how Canonical started putting spy features in Ubuntu; it sent negative reverberations throughout the Linux community and many people shunned Ubuntu because of this. It's going to be Mozilla running more analytics on users in order to get more money for their "foundation", and figuring out new ways to target ads on users who already have all the tile place holders full with pages they've already been to. If people accept this, then the browser will start going downhill. It's just like Microsoft; give an inch, and they take a mile. So, I don't accept this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    How would you see Mozilla being funded?
    Did they not make enough already with their search engine deal with Google? How about all the other open source software titles that don't have ads in them?

Did they not make enough already with their search engine deal with Google?
    The deal is expiring this year. After that they're left with no reliable revenue stream.

How about all the other open source software titles that don't have ads in them?
    How many of them are the size of Mozilla foundation and encompass as many projects and people?

You provide quite a weak argument.
    Yes, I hear not getting funded is a "weak argument" and if it's open source it should be completely free because money just keeps raining from the skies.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Blog Entries

Maybe I am not sufficiently paranoid to appreciate the alleged problem.

On the other hand, I'm reading/replying with "rekonq" rather than "firefox", though not because of concerns over "firefox".
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    The deal is expiring this year. After that they're left with no reliable revenue stream.
    I've seen reports that they have signed with Yahoo, and that Yahoo will become the default search engine.

I guess they will still have a revenue stream.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Try check out Mozillas public accounts. They were rich long before latest Google deal.

Is really not fair to 1000s of other devs. and projects to play on the "free open source" with no income. Should their kids go hungry to bed???? Is nonsense regarding Mozilla. They have LOADS and can use what ever because hmm "mobile".

They sold out years ago, long before they cut arms and legs off Thunderbird.

The real depressing thing is it is another company 100% bending over to this ad-economy Google have shown works. Not convinced it does not corrupt and mess up though some at the top collect.

Many powers in Linux world love it too. They also love Firefox because they can add affiliate links in search. Lots do that.

http://static.mozilla.com/foundation...attachment.pdf might be interesting reading - from a company with people like Darren Herman. When they want to avoid paying tax they say all the right things

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I've seen reports that they have signed with Yahoo, and that Yahoo will become the default search engine.

I guess they will still have a revenue stream.
    Yahoo love advertising, they already sell advertising space in search results. I wonder how that will tie in with there funding?
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

It is my understanding that these are going to be delivered via "Sponsored Tiles".

For the moment setting the following preferences will completely disable this "Nice New Feature".
    Code:
    user_pref("browser.newtab.preload", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtab.url", "about:blank");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.columns", 0);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.directory.ping", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.directory.source", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.enabled", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.enhanced", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.introShown", true);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.rows", 0);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.storageVersion", 1);
    There has been quite a lot of discussion about this over on the MozillaZine Forums http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php
    Regards, Paul

2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191207) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast