Thread: Rebooting to Windows 7 wipes grub2

Default Rebooting to Windows 7 wipes grub2

Hello,

I installed openSUSE 13.2 64Bits. last week and, until now, I'm glad to have it done but, there are some that are driving crazy.

I have a dual boot machine, openSUSE shared with a Windows 7 professional. When I start the machine, grub2 shows and I can choose what O.S. to boot. Everything works fine that way. But, once I am in KDE desktop and want to reboot to Windows, using a long press on "Reboot" in order to show grub entries, and choosing Windows, seems that grub removes all the entries and, at reboot time, boots directly on openSUSE.

I have to lauch "System" - "Boot loader" from Yast and reinstall grub in order to make the grub screen reappear.

Does anybody have this problem?. Did anyone manage to fix it?.

I need some help here.

Thanks for your replies.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rebooting to Windows 7 wipes grub2

Is this an EFI machine?

For at least some EFI boxes, the way the BIOS implements UEFI is partly to blame here.

Alternatively, is "/boot" part of the root file system, and is it formatted "btrfs". There's apparently a problem when you reboot within linux, and tell it to reboot a particular operating system. It creates a small file that grub2 will use. But the grub2 support for "btrfs" is such that grub2 cannot write to the file. So you have to manually remove it. I think the file is "/boot/grub2/grubenv".
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Default Re: Rebooting to Windows 7 wipes grub2

Thanks for your reply.

My machine is about 5 years old, so I don't think it has EFI and, yes, /boot is in the same partition that / and is formatted as btrfs.

I managed to pause my computer at start and I can read a message that shows just for a moment: "Sparse file not allowed" which, surely, points that problem you say.

I'll search for a solution around. Wish me luck. :-)

And thank you, again.