Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Firefox (and Chrome) broken

  1. #1

    Post Firefox (and Chrome) broken

    Running Suse 13.1.
    After returning to my PC after a few days holiday neither Firefox or Chrome will now start.
    My system did do a bunch of updates before I shut it down prior to going away.

    If I try to run >firefox from within Konsol I get the following output :-

    HTML Code:
    (process:5373): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
    /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
    I dont know command\how to run Chrome from a terminal

    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling FF and also deleting the .mozilla directory, but all to no avail...

    Any help much appreciated.

    TIA
    Chris

  2. #2

    Default Re: Firefox (and Chrome) broken

    Quote Originally Posted by shadychris View Post
    If I try to run >firefox from within Konsol I get the following output :-

    HTML Code:
    (process:5373): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
    /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
    Seems to be a mix of incompatible packages.

    Can you run other gtk2 applications?
    (GIMP, avidemux-gtk, kino, MPlayer, audacity, inkscape, LibreOffice, gnucash, xchat, .... )

    Please post your repo list:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    AFAICS there haven't been a gtk2 update for 13.1 recently.
    Still, you said you installed updates before you shut down. Did you wait for the updates to finish?
    Try to run "sudo zypper up" to maybe finish an aborted update.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Firefox (and Chrome) broken

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Seems to be a mix of incompatible packages.

    Can you run other gtk2 applications?
    (GIMP, avidemux-gtk, kino, MPlayer, audacity, inkscape, LibreOffice, gnucash, xchat, .... )

    Please post your repo list:
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    AFAICS there haven't been a gtk2 update for 13.1 recently.
    Still, you said you installed updates before you shut down. Did you wait for the updates to finish?
    Try to run "sudo zypper up" to maybe finish an aborted update.
    Hi Wolfi,

    Thanks for the quick response which I think has helpoed me to identify what could be a couple of my problems
    First off I dont seem to have most of the gtk packaes you suggest to run but although Libre Office does open OK GIMP fails with
    HTML Code:
    gimp: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
    Now Libre Office I have tweaked thus :-
    HTML Code:
    The menu-bar of Libreoffice looks ugly under KDE (Qt/Gtk conflict). But there is an easy way to fix it.Remove libreoffice-kde4 packagesInstall gtk3-engine-oxygen & gtk3-theme-engine[COLOR=#555555][FONT=Roboto]Now, go to desktop settings > application appearance > Gtk configuration[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#555555][FONT=Roboto]Select oxygen-gtk in both GTK2 and 3 themes. Now, you Gtk apps will look beautiful and KDEfied.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    That maybe explains why Libre Office is OK...??

    However after calling up my repo list I see that I have the 13.2 repo enabled......

    [HTML1 | AMD/ATI-FGLRX | AMD/ATI-FGLRX | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fglrx/openSUSE_13.1/ | 2 | Firepro | Firepro | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/amd-fir...openSUSE_13.1/ |
    3 | download.opensuse.org-13.1-non-oss | Update Repository (Non-Oss) | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1-non-oss/ |
    4 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | No | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/ |
    5 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/distrib.../repo/non-oss/ |
    6 | download.opensuse.org-oss | Main Repository (OSS) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...13.1/repo/oss/ |
    7 | download.opensuse.org-oss_1 | Main Repository (Sources) | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/source/...13.1/repo/oss/ |
    8 | download.opensuse.org-update | Main Update Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/ |
    9 | ftp.gwdg.de-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman...openSUSE_13.1/ |
    10 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 |
    11 | home:ksmanis | home:ksmanis | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/ |
    12 | openSUSE-13.1-1.10 | openSUSE-13.1-1.10 | No | Yes | 99 | yast2 | hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1........................1.00-part2 |
    13 | openSUSE:13.1 | openSUSE:13.1 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...13.1/standard/ |
    14 | repo-debug | openSUSE-13.1-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/d...13.1/repo/oss/ |
    15 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1/ |
    16 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-13.1-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/13.1-non-oss/ |
    17 | repo-update | openSUSE-13.2-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.2/][/HTML]

    I was planning to do an 'upgrade' about a week ago and had begun the process by adding the 13.2 repo, but then thought better of going any further. I could have swore I had disabled the repo but apparently not...
    Also a buinch of the updates (about 19) that I was offered before I went away failed to install with dependancy errors - now I think I know why :-(

    So it seems that I have probably installed someeething for 13.2 which has broken FF, Chrome and GIMP etc...

    Any ideas how I can find out what I might need to remove ??

    Chris

  4. #4

    Default Re: Firefox (and Chrome) broken -FIXED

    Yay!!!

    All sorted!!! I did a search in yast package manager for gtk and there were about a dozen entries showing in red relating to various gtk things.. my installed versions were 2.24,25-4.4.1 but showing as available were versions 2.24.23-7.1

    Figuring that the latter were likely to be the older original versions that I really needed i selected them ot upgrade to the earlier version and FF, Chrome and GIMP all now open up just fine.

    Thanks for prodding me in the right direction.

    I haev now made double sure the 13.2 repo is disabled and never to be enabled again by using the safer method of deleting it ;-)

    Cheers
    Chris

  5. #5

    Default AW: Re: Firefox (and Chrome) broken

    Quote Originally Posted by shadychris View Post
    Now Libre Office I have tweaked thus :-
    HTML Code:
    The menu-bar of Libreoffice looks ugly under KDE (Qt/Gtk conflict). But there is an easy way to fix it.Remove libreoffice-kde4 packagesInstall gtk3-engine-oxygen & gtk3-theme-engine[COLOR=#555555][FONT=Roboto]Now, go to desktop settings > application appearance > Gtk configuration[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#555555][FONT=Roboto]Select oxygen-gtk in both GTK2 and 3 themes. Now, you Gtk apps will look beautiful and KDEfied.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    That maybe explains why Libre Office is OK...??
    Not really. Actually it should be more ok if you used libreoffice-kde4 than libreoffice-gnome.

    But LibreOffice probably doesn't even use libgtk2 itself, only the themes. I'm not sure.

    However after calling up my repo list I see that I have the 13.2 repo enabled......
    That's definitely a source for problems, yes.
    So apparently you installed the latest gtk2 update for 13.2, which is of course incompatible with the rest of your system.

    I was planning to do an 'upgrade' about a week ago and had begun the process by adding the 13.2 repo, but then thought better of going any further. I could have swore I had disabled the repo but apparently not...
    Well, you only added the 13.2 update repo. An "upgrade" is not possible that way, you need the full oss repo as well.

    Any ideas how I can find out what I might need to remove ??
    First and foremost, that repo.
    Then, search for gtk in YaST, in select "Update Unconditionally" for all packages that are marked red.
    Or even browse through the "@System" repo and look for packages marked in red.

    The easiest way to revert fully to 13.1 would probably be running "sudo zypper dup" though.
    But you should also run a "sudo zypper dup --from 9" afterwards to make sure you have all necessary packages from Packman.

  6. #6

    Default Re: AW: Re: Firefox (and Chrome) broken

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Not really. Actually it should be more ok if you used libreoffice-kde4 than libreoffice-gnome.

    But LibreOffice probably doesn't even use libgtk2 itself, only the themes. I'm not sure.


    That's definitely a source for problems, yes.
    So apparently you installed the latest gtk2 update for 13.2, which is of course incompatible with the rest of your system.


    Well, you only added the 13.2 update repo. An "upgrade" is not possible that way, you need the full oss repo as well.


    First and foremost, that repo.
    Then, search for gtk in YaST, in select "Update Unconditionally" for all packages that are marked red.
    Or even browse through the "@System" repo and look for packages marked in red.

    The easiest way to revert fully to 13.1 would probably be running "sudo zypper dup" though.
    But you should also run a "sudo zypper dup --from 9" afterwards to make sure you have all necessary packages from Packman.
    Thanks a lot. I used your suggestion of zypper dup which found 70 packages needing upgrade and 44 to downgrade along with switching ownership of another bundle from Suse to packman. All seems fine now.
    Dunno what I was thinking really 'upgrading', as that is something I never ever do - be it Linux or Windows I've always gone for a fresh install of a newer version. Hopefully this little escapade will remind me in future to not even get tempted down that route ;-)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Firefox (and Chrome) broken

    Quote Originally Posted by shadychris View Post
    Dunno what I was thinking really 'upgrading', as that is something I never ever do - be it Linux or Windows I've always gone for a fresh install of a newer version. Hopefully this little escapade will remind me in future to not even get tempted down that route ;-)
    Well, upgrades are fine normally, if you do them properly.

    My system here has been upgraded all along since SuSE 8.1...

    But that's a matter of personal preference of course.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •