Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasma 5 issue on 13.2

Default Plasma 5 issue on 13.2

I did a fresh install with a minimal X server in order to do an install of Qt5/KDEF5/Plasma 5 only then installed them via the standard 13.2 repo (with the plasma5-session package/pattern). I don't know if it matters but I've left the compositor enabled with the default OpenGL 2.0/GLX settings and disabled all Desktop Effects for now, at least.
    The Plasma UI (UX?) is scaled way too large in a lot of respects. Especially icons in the Plasma UI, not the desktop icons however. The 'Add widgets' thing is way too large to be usable. There are a few things that look out of place too. Here are some screenshot examples.

http://imgbox.com/XKXMPX9K
    http://imgbox.com/M7sNlwBw

http://imgbox.com/f8bc5W2j

I'm running 13.2 x64. Here's some relevant info:

Code:
    xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
    DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DisplayPort-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 160mm x 90mm
       1920x1080     60.00*+  59.94    30.00    24.00    29.97    23.98  
       1920x1080i    60.00    59.94  
       1600x1200     60.00  
       1280x1024     60.02  
       1360x768      60.02  
       1280x720      60.00    59.94  
       1024x768      60.00  
       800x600       60.32  
       720x480       60.00    59.94  
       640x480       60.00    59.94  
    DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn XT [Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition]
    Code:
    find /dev -group video
    /dev/fb0
    /dev/dri/card0
    /dev/dri/controlD64
    Code:
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    Any suggestions on how to get it to a "normal" state?

P.S. I want to post this over on the KDE Forums as well but it's impossible to create a user account ("KDE Identity") right now. :/

Default Re: Plasma 5 issue on 13.2

apparently this can happen in multimonitor setup. i.e. wrong monitor gets set as default. i guess removing HDMI attached monitor and restarting X could confirm this

I only have one display (it's actually a 52 inch LCD TV).
    I'm not sure how your suggestion would work or still be applicable being as I only have one display and not two.

oops, sorry, somehow i concluded you have 2 monitors. maybe you can try installing kscreen5 package, and adjust resolutions there?

i586 binary
    x86_64 binary

Quote Originally Posted by echoes- View Post
    I only have one display (it's actually a 52 inch LCD TV).
    I'm not sure how your suggestion would work or still be applicable being as I only have one display and not two.
    Looks like a DPI issue to me. Plasma 5 tries to scale the UI according to that.

Code:
    HDMI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 160mm x 90mm
    I doubt that your 52 inch TV would have a size of only 160x90mm, so that's the problem apparently. These values will result in a huge DPI value.

What does this say?
    Code:
    xdpyinfo |grep resol
    What driver are you using?
    If radeon, you might try fglrx. The repo is available since yesterday. Maybe you can adjust values in the Catalyst Control Center (never used it myself, so I'm not sure).

If that doesn't help, you probably should specify the correct size of your display in the Xorg configuration, or set the DPI value manually (also possible via xrandr)...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 12-Nov-2014 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Looks like a DPI issue to me. Plasma 5 tries to scale the UI according to that.

Code:
    I doubt that your 52 inch TV would have a size of only 160x90mm, so that's the problem apparently. These values will result in a huge DPI value.

What does this say?
    Code:
    xdpyinfo |grep resol
    What driver are you using?
    If radeon, you might try fglrx. The repo is available since yesterday. Maybe you can adjust values in the Catalyst Control Center (never used it myself, so I'm not sure).

If that doesn't help, you probably should specify the correct size of your display in the Xorg configuration, or set the DPI value manually (also possible via xrandr)...
    After a lot of reading I figured that the DPI/screen size could be the issue. I wasn't sure how to troubleshoot it though.

Code:
    xdpyinfo |grep resol
      resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
    I'm pretty sure the driver is just the radeon driver because I didn't change anything with drivers. I'm simply using what OpenSUSE comes with out-of-the-box.

After a lot of reading I figured that the DPI/screen size could be the issue. I wasn't sure how to troubleshoot it though.

Code:
    xdpyinfo |grep resol
      resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
    Ok, so X changes the DPI to 96x96. But that might just as well be the problem.
    Try to explicitely set a DPI value, I suppose about 40 should be good on a quick calculation.

I would suggest to open the file .xinitrc.template (in your home directory) in a text editor, and search for this:
    Code:
    ## Add your own lines here...
    #
    Just below that, insert the following line:
    Code:
    xrandr --dpi 40
    Save the file as .xinitrc (in your home directory), and logout/login.
    Is it better now?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Ok, so X changes the DPI to 96x96. But that might just as well be the problem.
    Try to explicitely set a DPI value, I suppose about 40 should be good on a quick calculation.

I would suggest to open the file .xinitrc.template (in your home directory) in a text editor, and search for this:
    Code:
    ## Add your own lines here...
    #
    Just below that, insert the following line:
    Code:
    xrandr --dpi 40
    Save the file as .xinitrc (in your home directory), and logout/login.
    Is it better now?
    Okay. Thanks! I'll try it in a few hours when I get home from work.

Unfortunately that didn't change anything. I even rebooted.

i did mess around with KDE's font DPI settings and that did change some of the scaling of the Plasma UI/UX but not the (still oversized) icons.

Unfortunately that didn't change anything. I even rebooted.

i did mess around with KDE's font DPI settings and that did change some of the scaling of the Plasma UI/UX but not the (still oversized) icons.
    That did resize everything here (fonts, dialogs, including the icons in the panel), except the folderview's icons. You have to resize them manually in the folderview's settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast