Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kde5 questions

Default kde5 questions

I am using kde5 on opensuse 13.2. I alternate my default desktop between kde4 and kde5.

Anyway I wonder if anyone can help me with some kde5 questions:-

1 - I have installed sddm and would like to give it a try. How can I select it as the default? Would it allow me to logon to kde4 (in a similar way that kdm lists all the possible logon options)

2 - I have installed konqueror5. This starts fine and lets me select a webpage from the bookmarks but when I click on a link in the webpage nothing happens. I suspect that I am missing some libs but which.

3 - Although the different yast component parts are listed in the menu there does not seem to be en entry for the yast menu. If I open bash / su / yast2 - this opens fine.

4 - A minor one last. After many year of using opensuse I missed the starting kde sound when the default was changed to no sound - so I always change the settings on kde4 so that I get the sound on start up. The kde5 settings seem similar (to the kde4 ones) but these do not appear to have any affect. I do have kmix5 installed.

Many thanks

Default Re: kde5 questions

I have solved 1 - using sddm as a logon manager (yast / system / etc/sysconfig editor) it logs on fine but when you logoff it doesn't take you back to the logon screen

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    I have solved 1 - using sddm as a logon manager (yast / system / etc/sysconfig editor) it logs on fine but when you logoff it doesn't take you back to the logon screen
    Yes, that's a known problem: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/286
    As a workaround, uninstall the package gnome-keyring-pam, it doesn't make sense/is not used with KDE anyway (its purpose is to automatically unlock the GNOME keyring on login).

2 - I have installed konqueror5. This starts fine and lets me select a webpage from the bookmarks but when I click on a link in the webpage nothing happens. I suspect that I am missing some libs but which.
    No. Konqueror5 is just not working at the moment. Use rekonq5 instead...

I cannot answer the other two at the moment, I will try later to see what I experience.
    Regarding YaST, you should at least be able to create a menu entry with the kmenuedit if it is missing.

Konqueror is working here, altough crashy (i'd recommend as wolfi323, either rekonq5, or qupzilla-qt5). Make sure you have kio-extras5 installed.

3 - Although the different yast component parts are listed in the menu there does not seem to be en entry for the yast menu. If I open bash / su / yast2 - this opens fine.
    Which menu is that?

4 - A minor one last. After many year of using opensuse I missed the starting kde sound when the default was changed to no sound - so I always change the settings on kde4 so that I get the sound on start up. The kde5 settings seem similar (to the kde4 ones) but these do not appear to have any affect. I do have kmix5 installed.
    This should in theory work, just make sure you have oxygen5-sounds installed.

Many thanks for the postings.

Can report:

1 - uninstalled gnome-keyring-pam and sddm is now wroking fine (a nice change from kdm)

2 - since there are issues with knoqueror5 I have uninstalled this and am using konqueror4 in kde5 (bonus here is that it brings across previously saved passwords)

3 - my miistake. I went to add a menu entry for yast2 and it was already there

4 - have added oxygen5-sounds but still no logon sound (only a very very minor issue)

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by sumski View Post
    Konqueror is working here, altough crashy (i'd recommend as wolfi323, either rekonq5, or qupzilla-qt5). Make sure you have kio-extras5 installed.
    Hm, it doesn't work here, and never did. I can browse directories, but when I enter an URL just nothing happens. (and yes, I do have kio-extras5 installed, from KF5)
    Are you using a newer snapshot maybe? Or my package is broken...

I installed konqueror5 and libKF5Konq6 from KDE:Unstable:Frameworks now and it does indeed work.

But then, I also tried my own packages built for Factory, and with those it works too (well, not really perfect as sumski wrote, but at least it does load something...).

So this seems to have started working only recently I'd say.
    My 13.2 packages are built against plain 13.2 at the moment, kde-baseapps5 does not build in particular (needs frameworks 5.4.0 already) so konqueror5 is not the latest version there. I will build this against KF5 too and hope it will "work" then.

This should in theory work, just make sure you have oxygen5-sounds installed.
    I tried now, and it doesn't work here either.
    I can play the sound fine with the test button, but it is just not played on login/logout.

This is with plasma 5.1.1 and the VLC backend.

Actually it seems the notification settings have no effect at all in general.

2 - since there are issues with knoqueror5 I have uninstalled this and am using konqueror4 in kde5 (bonus here is that it brings across previously saved passwords)
    Actually kwalletd5 should ask on first use whether you want to import KDE4's wallets, so it's not really a bonus...

3 - my miistake. I went to add a menu entry for yast2 and it was already there
    Yes, I had a look now and the YaST entry is there in Applications->System, in both Kicker and Kickoff.
    In Kicker it's the last entry, you have to scroll down.
    In Kickoff it's shown as "Control Center" with the default settings (i.e. with "Show Applications by name" deactivated), so maybe that's why you didn't find it...

Blog Entries

I had a look at Plasma 5 too in a 13.2 sandbox

Decided to stick with kde4

At this rate Plasma 5 will be retired before it's production ready. JMO
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    I had a look at Plasma 5 too in a 13.2 sandbox

Decided to stick with kde4

At this rate Plasma 5 will be retired before it's production ready. JMO
    Yeah but remember how unstable kde4 was?
    Its okay now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Yeah but remember how unstable kde4 was?
    Its okay now.
    You could be right
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    You could be right
    Yep, kde4 was barely usable then when first introduce, unlike the plasma 5 .
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast