Upgraded to 13.2 today - now a weird vistual glitch in Software Management

Earlier today I upgraded (in-place) my openSUSE 13.1 system to openSUSE 13.2. Everything went fine except for one strange video issue. The check boxes that show whether or not a particular package has been installed in Yast2/Software Manager can’t be checked. It’s easiest to just show a picture. gcc has been installed. You can see the “installed at” date in the bottom, right part of the window, but none of the boxes ever show checks in them. I’m using the ncurses/Yast/Software Manager (with no problems) until it’s resolved.

http://tamusquash.com/opensuse-13_2-yast2.jpg

I assume that it’s related to the AMD Radeon module bug that was supposed to have been fixed in kernel 3.16.4 and newer. When I tested openSUSE 13.2rc1 on my system (it came with kernel 3.14.3) the video was an absolute mess. Here’s an earlier post with those details: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/501770-3-16-kernel-and-AMD-Radeon-module.

Does anyone have an idea why I seem to have a video problem that is limited to the checks in boxes now showing? Any chance it gets fixed down the line with openSUSE 13.2 and kernel 3.16?

Thanks!

Do you have this problem with the software management module only? Or also with other Yast modules?

I have a similiar problem, but not identical. I’am using KDE4 and Opensuse 13.2. All Yast modules do not show the KDE design and icons but the Gnome Hicolor icons.

In former Opensuse versions, Yast had different theme packages for Yast. In this version I can not find these theme packages.

Does somebody know how to get the KDE design/icons in Yast2?

Best regards

Michael

You’re right. I hadn’t realized it, but I just checked several other Yast modules, and they all had the problem. I am using Xfce, BTW.

YaST never used the user’s KDE design, as it runs as root. But of course the default settings were the same for a user and root.
Now YaST has been ported to Qt5, so it is totally unrelated to KDE4 (which is based on Qt4).
It should still use KDE4/Qt4’s style if you didn’t configure a specific Qt5/KF5 style.
You have to set it for root though, by running systemsettings as root:

kdesu systemsettings

The same applies to the color scheme.

The oxygen icon theme for YaST has been dropped.

@wnewnum:
I’m not sure, but Qt tries to adapt to the desktop environment you use.
So in your case its probably caused by the fact that you use XFCE.
It’s probably using the Gtk style (your picture would look like that), so try to change that (I cannot tell you how though, or whether it would be the GTK2 or GTK3 one).

Well, this wound up being pretty simple. I changed “Appearance” from Raleigh to Adwaita, and now my check boxes are showing. Because I’d had problems with my Radeon chipset using rc1, I’d kind of assumed it was related to that. Kind of strange because Raleigh worked under openSUSE 13.1. Oh well… Thanks to both of you who replied in this thread. You were both very helpful! :slight_smile: