Thread: 13.2 Thunderbird font rendering inconsistent with Gnome Shell settings

Default 13.2 Thunderbird font rendering inconsistent with Gnome Shell settings

Hi everyone,

I'm really enjoying openSUSE 13.2 and the new Tumbleweed, but the perennial complaint of font rendering/subpixel hinting keeps rearing its head.

This time, it's the font rendering of Mozilla apps, especially Thunderbird. Please notice the difference between the nice fonts in Nautilus and the rest of Gnome Shell, and the uglier fonts in Thunderbird:

Any ideas on what I can do to tweak this? I am aware of the Namtrac repo for Infinality font rendering, but I'd just like to know if it's possible to get decent results with the stock system first.

Thanks for the help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: 13.2 Thunderbird font rendering inconsistent with Gnome Shell settings

Hi
    Have you tried Settings -> Tweak Tool -. Fonts and played with the Hinting and Antialiasing, I set mine to Full and Rgba. You might need to restart the shell, Atlt+F2 r <enter>
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: 13.2 Thunderbird font rendering inconsistent with Gnome Shell settings

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Have you tried Settings -> Tweak Tool -. Fonts and played with the Hinting and Antialiasing, I set mine to Full and Rgba. You might need to restart the shell, Atlt+F2 r <enter>
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I do like the regular GTK app font rendering, which I have set to "Slight" RGBA. But Thunderbird seems to be using Medium or Full, which I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by sb56637 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I do like the regular GTK app font rendering, which I have set to "Slight" RGBA. But Thunderbird seems to be using Medium or Full, which I don't like.
    Have you gone into Preferences | Display | Formatting tab in Thunderbird and played with Font settings?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

Quote Originally Posted by rafter22 View Post
    Have you gone into Preferences | Display | Formatting tab in Thunderbird and played with Font settings?
    Also thanks for the reply. Yes, I looked around there too. The fonts are set to the same style (DejaVu Sans), but there are no subpixel hinting settings in TB.

Try Valmar's Muzlocker font rendering repo for openSUSE 13.1:

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/

Valmar has not yet published a 13.2 repo but I bet that the 13.1 repo will work with OpenSUSE 13.2. This repo dramatically improves the font rendering with Mozilla products. You will need to either reboot or log out/in after you install the repo.

FYI,

Gordon
    Laptop #1: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | HP ZBook 17 G2 (17")
    Laptop #2: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | System76 Darter (14")

Quote Originally Posted by gldickens3 View Post
    Try Valmar's Muzlocker font rendering repo for openSUSE 13.1:

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.1/

Valmar has not yet published a 13.2 repo but I bet that the 13.1 repo will work with OpenSUSE 13.2. This repo dramatically improves the font rendering with Mozilla products. You will need to either reboot or log out/in after you install the repo.

FYI,

Gordon
    Thanks Gordon, I actually prefer the Namtrac repo, but I was just wondering if there's a way to make this work with the default font libs first.