Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Is there a way to install the ymp files from terminal?

  1. #1

    Question Is there a way to install the ymp files from terminal?

    Hey peeps,

    I'm an former Archlinux user(don't stone mee!) and I got hooked on opensuse do it its feature set and Btrfs integration.
    I saw that now you can even boot into snapshots, yay!

    Anyways, I'm a terminal guy so is there any way I can use ymp files in the terminal. There has to be some way to extract the repo url and
    application name.

    I'm loving openSuse and will be nagging you for info in the future!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,525
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Is there a way to install the ymp files from terminal?

    Quote Originally Posted by klepto View Post
    Hey peeps,

    I'm an former Archlinux user(don't stone mee!) and I got hooked on opensuse do it its feature set and Btrfs integration.
    I saw that now you can even boot into snapshots, yay!

    Anyways, I'm a terminal guy so is there any way I can use ymp files in the terminal. There has to be some way to extract the repo url and
    application name.

    I'm loving openSuse and will be nagging you for info in the future!
    Hi
    Just use zypper to add the repository and then the application your after?

    For example;
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Miscellanous/openSUSE_13.2/ "Misc"
    zypper ref
    zypper in medit
    
    or
    
    zypper in http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Miscellanous/openSUSE_13.2/x86_64/medit-1.2.0-3.1.x86_64.rpm
    or if you create a login to OBS (https://build.opensuse.org/) You can directly grab any binary that exists, you just need to be root user to install.
    Code:
    osc se medit
     
    No matches found for 'medit' in projects
    ####################################################################
    matches for 'medit' in packages:
    
    # Project                             # Package
    home:Lazy_Kent:xfce                   medit
    home:colAflash                        medit
    home:malcolmlewis:Miscellanous        medit
    home:malcolmlewis:SLE_11_SPn_General  medit
    home:malcolmlewis:SLE_12_General      medit
    home:roman-neuhauser:arch-community   medit
    home:zhonghuaren                      medit
    
    osc getbinaries home:malcolmlewis:Miscellanous medit openSUSE_13.2 x86_64
    
    Creating binaries
    _buildenv                                                          100% |=================================|  33 kB    00:00     
    _statistics                                                        100% |=================================|  716 B    00:00     
    medit-1.2.0-3.1.x86_64.rpm                                         100% |=================================| 1.1 MB    00:03     
    medit-lang-1.2.0-3.1.noarch.rpm                                    100% |=================================| 160 kB    00:00     
    rpmlint.log                                                        100% |=================================|   58 B    00:00
    Now that creates a directory called binaries, you could then copy that to a local directory and then use createrepo or a plain rpm directory for you to install from, without ever going near a GUI
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is there a way to install the ymp files from terminal?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Wow thanks a lot, that really helps! I haven't even gotten into the OBS yet, now seems like a good time.

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,525
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Is there a way to install the ymp files from terminal?

    Quote Originally Posted by klepto View Post
    Wow thanks a lot, that really helps! I haven't even gotten into the OBS yet, now seems like a good time.

    Thanks again!
    Hi
    The ymp (1-click) files just add the repo and install the package and dependences, which if you add the repo and install manually will also happen. If you use zypper you can also see and install patterns (collections of rpms).


    Between zypper and osc, can't go wrong from the command line, but with osc, if the package isn't built you can do that yourself most of the time.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is there a way to install the ymp files from terminal?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Just use zypper to add the repository and then the application your after?

    For example;
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Miscellanous/openSUSE_13.2/ "Misc"
    zypper ref
    zypper in medit
    
    or
    
    zypper in http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Miscellanous/openSUSE_13.2/x86_64/medit-1.2.0-3.1.x86_64.rpm
    or if you create a login to OBS (https://build.opensuse.org/) You can directly grab any binary that exists, you just need to be root user to install.
    Code:
    osc se medit
     
    No matches found for 'medit' in projects
    ####################################################################
    matches for 'medit' in packages:
    
    # Project                             # Package
    home:Lazy_Kent:xfce                   medit
    home:colAflash                        medit
    home:malcolmlewis:Miscellanous        medit
    home:malcolmlewis:SLE_11_SPn_General  medit
    home:malcolmlewis:SLE_12_General      medit
    home:roman-neuhauser:arch-community   medit
    home:zhonghuaren                      medit
    
    osc getbinaries home:malcolmlewis:Miscellanous medit openSUSE_13.2 x86_64
    
    Creating binaries
    _buildenv                                                          100% |=================================|  33 kB    00:00     
    _statistics                                                        100% |=================================|  716 B    00:00     
    medit-1.2.0-3.1.x86_64.rpm                                         100% |=================================| 1.1 MB    00:03     
    medit-lang-1.2.0-3.1.noarch.rpm                                    100% |=================================| 160 kB    00:00     
    rpmlint.log                                                        100% |=================================|   58 B    00:00
    Now that creates a directory called binaries, you could then copy that to a local directory and then use createrepo or a plain rpm directory for you to install from, without ever going near a GUI
    Switch to root to install those packages from the binaries directory.

    Code:
    packages=(/path/to/binaries/*.rpm); echo zypper in "${packages[@]}"
    It should print out which packages zypper is going to install, remove the echo so zypper can actually install those packages
    "Unfortunately time is always against us" -- [Morpheus]

    .:https://github.com/Jetchisel:.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •