Is there a way to install the ymp files from terminal?

Hey peeps,

I’m an former Archlinux user(don’t stone mee!) and I got hooked on opensuse do it its feature set and Btrfs integration.
I saw that now you can even boot into snapshots, yay!

Anyways, I’m a terminal guy so is there any way I can use ymp files in the terminal. There has to be some way to extract the repo url and
application name.

I’m loving openSuse and will be nagging you for info in the future!

Hi
Just use zypper to add the repository and then the application your after?

For example;

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Miscellanous/openSUSE_13.2/ "Misc"
zypper ref
zypper in medit

or

zypper in http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Miscellanous/openSUSE_13.2/x86_64/medit-1.2.0-3.1.x86_64.rpm

or if you create a login to OBS (https://build.opensuse.org/) You can directly grab any binary that exists, you just need to be root user to install.

osc se medit

No matches found for 'medit' in projects
####################################################################
matches for 'medit' in packages:

# Project                             # Package
home:Lazy_Kent:xfce                   medit
home:colAflash                        medit
home:malcolmlewis:Miscellanous        medit
home:malcolmlewis:SLE_11_SPn_General  medit
home:malcolmlewis:SLE_12_General      medit
home:roman-neuhauser:arch-community   medit
home:zhonghuaren                      medit

osc getbinaries home:malcolmlewis:Miscellanous medit openSUSE_13.2 x86_64

Creating binaries
_buildenv                                                          100% |=================================|  33 kB    00:00     
_statistics                                                        100% |=================================|  716 B    00:00     
medit-1.2.0-3.1.x86_64.rpm                                         100% |=================================| 1.1 MB    00:03     
medit-lang-1.2.0-3.1.noarch.rpm                                    100% |=================================| 160 kB    00:00     
rpmlint.log                                                        100% |=================================|   58 B    00:00 

Now that creates a directory called binaries, you could then copy that to a local directory and then use createrepo or a plain rpm directory for you to install from, without ever going near a GUI :wink:

Wow thanks a lot, that really helps! I haven’t even gotten into the OBS yet, now seems like a good time.

Thanks again!

Hi
The ymp (1-click) files just add the repo and install the package and dependences, which if you add the repo and install manually will also happen. If you use zypper you can also see and install patterns (collections of rpms).

Between zypper and osc, can’t go wrong from the command line, but with osc, if the package isn’t built you can do that yourself most of the time.

Switch to root to install those packages from the binaries directory.

packages=(/path/to/binaries/*.rpm); echo zypper in "${packages@]}"

It should print out which packages zypper is going to install, remove the echo so zypper can actually install those packages :wink: