Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,650

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Easiest is to go to the one click

    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

    Or go to Yast-Software management Search NVIDIA select the flavor for your card (if a new one use GO3 flavor. There are 5 packages selecting one should bring in the rest. Note be sure that any of the packages for given kernel matches your installed kernel ie if running desktop kernel (normally it is) do not accept any but desktop.There are 2 packages kernel dependent you will notice in the name

    BTW you should start a new thread for a new topic

  2. #22

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Okay, excellent. I used the one-click method and it completed successfully. Thank you.

    I will next time start a new thread, thanks. I was just responding to his reply in here, but yes, it should be a new one.

    Just to finish this, before I mark it [SOLVED], what is the command to see the currently enabled graphic driver?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,650

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    lspci -k

    should tell you need to sort out the video from the rest

  4. #24

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Perfect, thank you sir!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-11-04 23:56, Miuku wrote:
    >
    > nightwishfan;2672900 Wrote:
    >> Unlike the previous poster I never had any problems with it. It's
    >> development has sped up lately and it has a lot of support in the
    >> enterprise.

    > Pull the cord when XFS is writing.


    Pull the cord while reiserfs or btrfs or ext4 is writing.

    Of course, a filesystem with heavy optimization in memory can be damaged
    if stopped like that. So use an UPS. Reiserfs, on the other hand, was
    designed for that scenario (pull the cord), but sometimes it got
    corrupted royally, absolutely beyond repair.
    ... assuming, of course, that pulling the cord did not trash the HD by crashing the heads into the platters, which happens occasionally in such scenarios.

    Go ahead, pull the plug. Make the HD retailers happy.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    On 2014-11-05 12:16, Lachu wrote:
    >
    > I heard that EXT support compression too.


    What I heard was that it was designed for somebody to add it later, and
    it has flags for it. But nobody implemented it.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    On 2014-11-06 01:16, Fraser Bell wrote:

    > ... assuming, of course, that pulling the cord did not trash the HD by
    > crashing the heads into the platters, which happens occasionally in such
    > scenarios.


    Then dump those disks, they are no good. That should never happen unless
    you trip the cable with your foot and bring the computer down on the floor.

    The heads are on a spring that retracts them when there is no
    electricity. If you now tell me that there can be an electrical surge
    that damages the voice coils or the heads, then the power supply is
    defective, in not stopping that surge (which may be, buying cheap).

    There are disks that have a small internal battery in order to keep the
    non yet written data in the internal memory banks, to be written when
    electricity comes back.

    So no, pulling the cord is a design consideration, and should cause no
    physical damage.


    > Go ahead, pull the plug. Make the HD retailers happy.


    I did, hundreds of times. No problem, beyond some corruption. Sometimes
    total corruption, but no damage.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-11-06 01:16, Fraser Bell wrote:

    > ... assuming, of course, that pulling the cord did not trash the HD by
    > crashing the heads into the platters, which happens occasionally in such
    > scenarios.


    Then dump those disks, they are no good. That should never happen unless
    you trip the cable with your foot and bring the computer down on the floor.

    The heads are on a spring that retracts them when there is no
    electricity.

    There are disks that have a small internal battery in order to keep the
    non yet written data in the internal memory banks, to be written when
    electricity comes back.

    So no, pulling the cord is a design consideration, and should cause no
    physical damage.
    Mostly correct, but not completely. Although drives have come a long, long way since the early days, that retraction is still not 100% foolproof.

    It is rare, now, like a lightning strike to your big toe, but ...

    The crash can -- and still does -- happen on occasion, even on the very best quality drives.

    It is the reason why I always hold my breath when I have to shut down the hard way (ie: pull the plug or hold the off button until the machine turns off).

    I do not really care about scrambled drives and/or data. That is what backups were invented for, and why I religiously adhere to backup plans.

    (I hope I don't get into trouble, I know religion is a banned subject on these forums.)


    > Go ahead, pull the plug. Make the HD retailers happy.

    I did, hundreds of times. No problem, beyond some corruption. Sometimes
    total corruption, but no damage.
    Again, it is rare, but it does happen. You also have not been struck by lightning yet, correct?

    It may never happen, but then again ...
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,918

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    There is no force on this earth that will make me use XFS for anything.

    In the past I've had catastrophic mission critical data loss due to XFS failure (even though backups existed, of course) and nothing will convince me that it is anything but a massive headache.
    XFS is a great file system in my opinion. Used it a lot with CentOS and LVM for XenServer storage. This was all enterprise environment and it had nether failed for me. Even live resize of LVM partition didn't cause any headaches.
    Please look at this article to find out why IMHO XFS is generally better than ext4 :
    http://lwn.net/Articles/476263/

    On brtfs it looks promising though I've never used it. Lennart Poetterring likes it and since I like most of his ideas that's a good recommendation for me (though for most people Lennart is the devil of Linux YMMV) :
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc3NzU
    Best regards,
    Greg

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,918

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    XFS is a great file system in my opinion. Used it a lot with CentOS and LVM for XenServer storage. This was all enterprise environment and it had nether failed for me. Even live resize of LVM partition didn't cause any headaches.
    Please look at this article to find out why IMHO XFS is generally better than ext4 :
    http://lwn.net/Articles/476263/

    On brtfs it looks promising though I've never used it. Lennart Poetterring likes it and since I like most of his ideas that's a good recommendation for me (though for most people Lennart is the devil of Linux YMMV) :
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTc3NzU
    Also another story that shows XFS devs community is in good condition :
    http://lwn.net/Articles/573658/
    Best regards,
    Greg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •