Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

  1. #1

    Default BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    When it comes to file system layout and partitioning, what are the thoughts behind using BtrFS for the root partition and either XFS or Ext4 for the home? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each? I know Ext4 might be more of the standard/stable options, however I believe it might be slower in speed to the other two. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    There is no force on this earth that will make me use XFS for anything.

    In the past I've had catastrophic mission critical data loss due to XFS failure (even though backups existed, of course) and nothing will convince me that it is anything but a massive headache.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

    .: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

  3. #3

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    There is no force on this earth that will make me use XFS for anything.

    In the past I've had catastrophic mission critical data loss due to XFS failure (even though backups existed, of course) and nothing will convince me that it is anything but a massive headache.
    I guess I'm glad I went with BtrFS for root and Ext4 for home lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 9
    Posts
    14,525

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Did you allow extra space for root to allow for snapshots?

  5. #5

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Did you allow extra space for root to allow for snapshots?
    Yessir...is that good? Bad? Lol

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 9
    Posts
    14,525

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    If you let some extra space for the snaps nothing wrong. You might want to visit the BTRFS/snapper section in Yast and maybe tune back the frequency of snap shots and how many are kept.

  7. #7

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If you let some extra space for the snaps nothing wrong. You might want to visit the BTRFS/snapper section in Yast and maybe tune back the frequency of snap shots and how many are kept.
    Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks!
    I'm so new to this, I find myself fumbling around in YAsT trying to figure everything out. It seems like almost a one-stop-shop for most things in SUSE. I'm currently trying to find the Video Drivers for my laptop (ATI) and my desktop (Nvidia).
    Thanks for the tips!

  8. #8

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by EmpireITtech View Post
    I'm currently trying to find the Video Drivers for my laptop (ATI) and my desktop (Nvidia).
    The nvidia repo is already available for 13.2. Just add it in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories.

    ATI's fglrx driver does not work on 13.2 at the moment though, because of the new Xorg.
    See also http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...3-2-Tumbleweed .
    But, depending on your particular graphics card, the open source radeon driver might be good enough or even better...

  9. #9

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    The nvidia repo is already available for 13.2. Just add it in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories.

    ATI's fglrx driver does not work on 13.2 at the moment though, because of the new Xorg.
    See also http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...3-2-Tumbleweed .
    But, depending on your particular graphics card, the open source radeon driver might be good enough or even better...
    Okay, thanks!
    Where do I get the open source drivers for ATI? Or is that already used on openSUSE by default? My laptop is ATI, the GPU seems to work fine - I can never correctly wake from sleep, but that's on all Linux distro's not just SUSE - so maybe I don't need to do anything driver wise..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    633

    Default Re: BtrFS vs XFS vs Ext4

    When Ext4 was released I instead moved to Xfs. Unlike the previous poster I never had any problems with it. It's development has sped up lately and it has a lot of support in the enterprise.

    Quite recently I moved to btrfs for all my backups. I did so because it has features like checksumming and compression. I do have a lot of issues with snapper snapshots taking up space without real use, so I just disable snapper. I do think it is a good tool though. I would argue btrfs is the future and it would be best to learn it now.

    if you need a more classic filesystem that is just reliable and well tested you might want to go with ext4 or Xfs.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •