Thread: where is the log file for a system crash?

Default where is the log file for a system crash?

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have a 13.2 64 bit kde install. With the packman multimedia rpm's and an updated kernel 3.17.1-5.1.Was just running knonueror, amarok, dolphin and chrome and the system just locked up. I had to do a forced p/c shut down.

Default Re: where is the log file for a system crash?

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have a 13.2 64 bit kde install. With the packman multimedia rpm's and an updated kernel 3.17.1-5.1.Was just running knonueror, amarok, dolphin and chrome and the system just locked up. I had to do a forced p/c shut down.
    The log files are normally in /var/log, have a look in the messages file (as superuser), around the time before the restart, assuming you rebooted since
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    The log files are normally in /var/log, have a look in the messages file (as superuser), around the time before the restart, assuming you rebooted since
    Unfortunately, just noticed there is no messages log file there any more thanks to systemd. There is a "README" file in its place, explaining how to get the "journal" replacement or alternative ways for syslog.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Unfortunately, just noticed there is no messages log file there any more thanks to systemd.
    Install "rsyslog" and you will get messages back.

Is this possibly a freeze related to your graphics display? Those occasionally happen on my laptop with Intel graphics. It isn't logged, because the system is frozen at the time.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Many thanks.

I have installed rsyslog. Hopefully my system crash was a one-off but I wanted to be in a position to see what happened if it happens again.