Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse 13.2 - A list of minor problems

Default OpenSuse 13.2 - A list of minor problems

I've been using OpenSuse 13.2 (with gnome 3-14.1) for the last few weeks and have encountered a few issues I can't fix myself. Maybe these are known issues and/or someone might have a solution for some of my problems.

Rhythmbox is controlling the master volume:
    Is there a way to get rid of this "feature"? It does not make sense to me, when I want to reduce the volume of the music playing in the background, that everything else is affected by this as well.

KeepassX and Skype window positions keep changing:
    This is a minor complaint, but still somewhat annoying. Every time I launch or hide KeepassX and Skype (maybe other Qt4/5 applications as well), the window will shift towards the centre of my screen (usually up or left).

Auto-Typing in KeepassX fails randomly (libxdotool?)
    Auto-Typing will randomly drop letters. I noticed this problem in many gnome-shell versions (starting with 3.6), but with Keepass2, which is using libxdotool.

Spell checking in Firefox:
    This is a major issue in my opinion. I can manually choose the correct language, but it seems as after a while firefox will default to "English (Malawi)", and sometimes to a random language.

Aside from these issues, I'm very pleased with OpenSuse 13.2 so far and would like to keep it as my default system.
    Maybe someone could help me fix this, or at least point me in the right direction (filing bug reports?).

Thanks!

Default Re: OpenSuse 13.2 - A list of minor problems

Go to Bugzilla, search if these bugs are already reported, and if not, file them.
    You can log in with the same username/pw as on the OpenSuse forums.

For volume control install pavucontrol package it will give you control over each application . Note it looks like you use Gnome but in KDE there is a control verimix which can live on the system tray and is a bit more convenient then pavucontrol.

Can't help with rest since you use gnome and I know KDE

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    For volume control install pavucontrol package it will give you control over each application . Note it looks like you use Gnome but in KDE there is a control verimix which can live on the system tray and is a bit more convenient then pavucontrol.

Can't help with rest since you use gnome and I know KDE
    Gnome already has the option to control the volume per application. My problem is that one application somehow controls the master volume too.
    Let's say I reduce the volume in rhythmbox and it will also affect the master volume at the same time for some weird reason.

In KDE there is a fix to that in one of the /etc files I forget which don't know if it applies to Gnome. A search here may uncover the thread that discussed it.

Quote Originally Posted by thermion View Post
    I've been using OpenSuse 13.2 (with gnome 3-14.1) for the last few weeks and have encountered a few issues I can't fix myself. Maybe these are known issues and/or someone might have a solution for some of my problems.

Rhythmbox is controlling the master volume:
    Is there a way to get rid of this "feature"? It does not make sense to me, when I want to reduce the volume of the music playing in the background, that everything else is affected by this as well.
    You can probably blame PulseAudio for that, as it preferred to mimic the behaviour of Windows (7). If this was 13.1/KDE/PulseAudio, adding option
    "flat-volumes = no", to the end of /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and rebooting, worked for me. You should also check if there is a default statement and note that it could be a comment only or not. I haven't tested it on 13.2 or on Gnome, so for quick recovery take a copy of daemon.conf before you change it.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    ...You should also check if there is a default statement and note that it could be a comment only or not...
    Ok, just checked /etc/pulse/daemon.conf on my 13.2 (updated today to GA level), it contains the ";" commented statement ";flat-volumes = yes" which confirms that P/A defaults to using "flat volumes", where individual apps' volume setting can adjust the overall or master volume.

So just add an uncommented statement setting flat-volumes to no, to the end of that file and reboot, as previously described.
    Last edited by consused; 02-Nov-2014 at 12:37. Reason: Clarification
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Ok, just checked /etc/pulse/daemon.conf on my 13.2 (updated today to GA level), it contains the ";" commented statement ";flat-volumes = yes" which confirms that P/A defaults to using "flat volumes", where individual apps' volume setting can adjust the overall or master volume.

So just add an uncommented statement setting flat-volumes to no, to the end of that file and reboot, as previously described.
    Sorry for the late reply! I will definitely check my /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and see if it will work.
    Thanks

Well, still no luck.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to deal with these silly issues. I did three installations of 13.2 on different hardware, and they all suffer from the same problems.
    Windows not keeping their position and size, spell-checking randomly choosing different languages, every application changing my master volume setting... no thanks.

Guess I'll stay with debian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast