Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Window text problems

  1. #1

    Default Window text problems

    I apologise ahead of time for not spending more time searching for an answer (I don't have the patience, due to my tiredness).

    I decided to try Tumbleweed and ended up breaking the graphical system, so I reverted the system by changing the packages back to the 13.1 repositories. While the system works, I'm left with lots of boxes instead of text in any GNOME 3 window (in Firefox's case, just the title bar). I took care to make sure I didn't have leftover packages that needed the distribution upgrade or had open dependencies, but maybe there was something I missed? I'm hoping this is an easy fix, as I'd rather not have to run through a reinstall.

    I'm not sure exactly what logs I'd need to pull (Xorg log?), but I've been up long enough, and I should get some sleep before I do anything else.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,402

    Default Re: Window text problems

    It is a bit difficult to assess how you did things. My guess is thet people here can not realy decide if your description "I reverted the system by changing the packages back to the 13.1 repositories" shows exact enough what you did (used YaST or zypper and what actions). How can they then advise you if you did it correct?

    In general, when in a text there are open rectangles shown, this means that there is no glyph (the image that forms the character) can be found for the character code to be shown. E.g. when in a text there is the ASCII code hex 41, but you have no font that has the picture for an A, then you will see an open rectangle instead. This is of course very unlikely to happen with the latter A, but more with non Latin scripts.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Window text problems

    On 2014-10-28 13:46, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > It is a bit difficult to assess how you did things. My guess is thet
    > people here can not realy decide if your description "I reverted the
    > system by changing the packages back to the 13.1 repositories" shows
    > exact enough what you did (used YaST or zypper and what actions). How
    > can they then advise you if you did it correct?


    I can only blindly advise to do the DVD upgrade procedure, upgrading
    13.1 to 13.1. It is like hunting geese with fragmentation grenades,
    but... you do get the target. ;-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Window text problems

    Quote Originally Posted by 13x31 View Post
    I decided to try Tumbleweed and ended up breaking the graphical system, so I reverted the system by changing the packages back to the 13.1 repositories. While the system works, I'm left with lots of boxes instead of text in any GNOME 3 window (in Firefox's case, just the title bar).
    Sounds to me like a incorrect pango plugins cache.

    Try to run:
    Code:
    sudo pango-querymodules --update-cache
    or on 64bit:
    Code:
    sudo pango-querymodules-64 --update-cache
    Btw, the same problem occurs when downgrading from Factory to 13.1.
    Well, a downgrade is not really tested nor supported...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Window text problems

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It is a bit difficult to assess how you did things. My guess is thet people here can not realy decide if your description "I reverted the system by changing the packages back to the 13.1 repositories" shows exact enough what you did (used YaST or zypper and what actions). How can they then advise you if you did it correct?

    In general, when in a text there are open rectangles shown, this means that there is no glyph (the image that forms the character) can be found for the character code to be shown. E.g. when in a text there is the ASCII code hex 41, but you have no font that has the picture for an A, then you will see an open rectangle instead. This is of course very unlikely to happen with the latter A, but more with non Latin scripts.
    Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that I downgraded my packages from Tumbleweed to 13.1; I was quite tired and trying to spend the least amount of time typing, which wasn't the best decision, but I figured I would probably have an answer or two by the time I woke up.


    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Sounds to me like a incorrect pango plugins cache.

    Try to run:
    Code:
    sudo pango-querymodules --update-cache
    or on 64bit:
    Code:
    sudo pango-querymodules-64 --update-cache
    Btw, the same problem occurs when downgrading from Factory to 13.1.
    Well, a downgrade is not really tested nor supported...
    This worked just fine (though I was holding my breath a bit until I saw the text XD). And yes, downgrading probably isn't a good idea, but I ended up with an unworkable graphical environment after upgrading to Tumbleweed, so the two choices I had was to either downgrade or to reinstall and reconfigure 13.1 (with the latter being more slightly annoying in my opinion). Normally I would've done this on another machine with a test partition/drive, but I just had an itching to tinker and that machine was already running.

    Anyway though, thank you for the help and quick response. I will definitely put this into my knowledge toolbox if I ever run into it again (hopefully never XD).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •