firefox 33 woes

As the title suggests FF is bothering me a lot, of course only with start up time. [rant] I’m so pissed off with the start up times, especially when it takes 40-80 seconds to show up. I feel like f**k you FF, I’ll get back to you after I come back from school. Oh, I’m back from school and what on earth are you doing? busy much??[/rant]

I have done a few things to find out the reason

1. Restart with add-ons diabled
  2. Create new profile
  3. Uninstall and reinstall

of course, none of this helped. Strangely, this cropped up since I updated to 32.0 but it’s unbearable now. After digging a bit I found that it has something to do with network. I use wireless and strangely, to my surprise, FF starts instantly (~2-5 secs) when I’m not connected to any network. I’ve noticed network activity of up to 100B Up/down as soon as I launch FF.

Here is some command line output:

firefox

(process:18254): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
hrudai@Anon:~> firefox

(process:18742): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
1414424403707   FirefoxAccounts ERROR   error POSTing /certificate/sign: {"error":{},"message":null,"code":null,"errno":null}
1414424403707   FirefoxAccounts ERROR   HAWK.signCertificate error: {"error":{},"message":null,"code":null,"errno":null}
1414424403708   Sync.BrowserIDManager   ERROR   Non-authentication error in _fetchTokenForUser: null
1414424403711   Sync.BrowserIDManager   ERROR   Background fetch for key bundle failed: [object Object]
1414424403711   Sync.BrowserIDManager   ERROR   Could not authenticate: [object Object]
1414424456458   GMPInstallManager.simpleCheckAndInstall INFO    Last check was: 244 seconds ago, minimum seconds: 86400
1414424456458   GMPInstallManager.simpleCheckAndInstall INFO    Will not check for updates.

(process:19527): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(process:29050): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(process:30012): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(process:30177): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(process:368): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

FF health report : http://susepaste.org/43055596

http://susepaste.org/43055596 , http://susepaste.org/31024937

Will disabling ipv6 improve start up times? If so, how do I do it?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Hrudai.

hrudaireddy adjusted his tin foil beanie and wrote:

>
>
> Will disabling ipv6 improve start up times? If so, how do I do it?
>
> os: 13.1 64 bit, KDE 4.14, ATI 5000 series.
>
> Any input is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Hrudai.
>
>

Yast>/etc/syscontrol editor>desktop>Kde_use_ipv6

That will disable ipv6 on the desktop :slight_smile: also:

In FF`s address bar type

about:config

then agree to the dragons, search for ipv6, my settings were:

network.dns.disableIPv6; default boolean false

but by clicking on the setting you can try

network.dns.disableIPv6; userset boolean true

It does not seem to make any difference to me which one :slight_smile:

HTH

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus en verba
Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

On 10/27/2014 01:16 PM, hrudaireddy wrote:
>
> As the title suggests FF is bothering me a lot, of course only with
> start up time. I’m so pissed off with the start up times,
> especially when it takes 40-80 seconds to show up. I feel like f**k you
> FF, I’ll get back to you after I come back from school. Oh, I’m back
> from school and what on earth are you doing? busy much??
>
> I have done a few things to find out the reason
>
> 1. Restart with add-ons diabled
> 2. Create new profile
> 3. Uninstall and reinstall
>
> of course, none of this helped. Strangely, this cropped up since I
> updated to 32.0 but it’s unbearable now. After digging a bit I found
> that it has something to do with network. I use wireless and strangely,
> to my surprise, FF starts instantly (~2-5 secs) when I’m not connected
> to any network. I’ve noticed network activity of up to 100B Up/down as
> soon as I launch FF.
>
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Hrudai.
>
>

Are you sure you didnt tell firefox to load tabs when opening? See:
http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/64621067

openSUSE Factory 64 bit
KDE 4.14.1

That advice is of course only of some use when you do not use or want to use IPv6. It may not be that advisable to cut yourself off from the IPv6 world.

I agree. That didn’t make any difference.

Yup, that check-box is ticked. Indeed I created a new user account to test this behaviour. The same effect is mirrored. It seems my issue is a isolated one. I’ll probably install wireshark and check why there is that minute network activity.

Neither my home network nor my ISP is issuing ipv6 for home usage. So, I jumped in to give it a go. Apparently that didn’t turnout to be the culprit. Now I blame my poor troubleshooting skills.:frowning:

hcvv adjusted his tin foil beanie and wrote:

<snippity snip> ( load of garbae from me ) :slight_smile:

> That advice is of course only of some use when you do not use or want to
> use IPv6. It may not be that advisable to cut yourself off from the IPv6
> world.
>

True Henk, very true but when you are in the Wilds of North Wales UK where
even two bean cans and a piece of string is classified as a technological
breakthrough then I am happy with it :slight_smile:

But even with those settings I still have ipv6 on my LAN.

This is on 13.2 by the way.
F

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus en verba

But he OP is in Sydney and not in Beddgelert or the like. Your position on the globe is of very little influence to his problems.

>
>
> But he OP is in Sydney and not in Beddgelert or the like. Your position
> on the globe is of very little influence to his problems.
>
>

Ah but as the OP has stated his connection does not have ipv6.

So I think it has 100% relevance :wink:

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus en verba

Ok, I probably have missed that. In any case it is good to have the pros and cons of it here in case others search for a similar solution and find this thread.

>> Ah but as the OP has stated his connection does not have ipv6.
>>
>> So I think it has 100% relevance :wink:
>>
>>
>>
>> –
>> Mark
>> Caveat emptor
>> Nullus en verba
>> Nil Illigitimi Carborundum
> Ok, I probably have missed that. In any case it is good to have the pros
> and cons of it here in case others search for a similar solution and
> find this thread.

Hey no problem, yes you are correct it is always better to see all sides.

Cheers.
>
>

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus en verba

Did you see this thread regarding wireless and FF, Firefox Starts Slowly.

Otherwise, assuming other browsers are not having problems (Opera, Chrome), wired connection is okay, and all is okay after startup, take a gander at this stack exchange entry:

Apparently the wireless network here is causing the issue. When you connect to the wireless network, you first have to go to an unencrypted website (such as http://example.com), after which you’re redirected to a login page (captive portal). However before you have entered your credentials, any connections to https websites (or any port other than 80) will fail with a timeout. Linux does 5 or 6 attempts at establishing a connection (TCP SYN) it seems, and all of these have to timeout before Firefox understands it cannot connect to whatever server it’s trying to securely connect to. This is what’s taking so long.

There might be some good info at Linux Wireless.

Already tried a new profile (good), so cache was clear, no addons… Did you know Menu -> Help -> Troubleshooting Information, there is a button to “reset firefox”. It is suppose to keep a backup of your profile, so a user can copy it back. Interesting, but I think it is easier to just create a new profile :slight_smile: In FF Preferences what is your “Home Page”, maybe change it to blank.

I’d be curious what your solution turns out to be.

Okay, before I say thank you I’d like to ask you a question. Are you Jesus? coz you’re a saviour. Thanks a ton, I must also thank @axel_weber, the poster in the other thread. All I had to do was, tick “Assign Hostname to Loopback IP”. Now, I’m beginning to wonder, how did I miss that thread. I always search forums prior to posting anything, not to mention (DuckDuckgo, google, yahoo, bing). I should improve my keyword, search skills.

Apart from this, I have tried almost everything (reset FF, etc). I’m very much relieved now. Last but not the least thing, Why am I not receiving notifications from this thread. Of course I’m subscribed to this thread. Am I missing something here?

Thanks & Regards,
Hrudai.