Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

  1. #1

    Default Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Hi,

    I am unable to stream audio in browser when device is in use by mediaplayer. When I use audio/video in browser my audio fails in other applications. I have tried several combinations by enabling/disabling pulseaudio, created various .asoundrc but nothing has worked. Every time I need to use audio output from other application I need to close the earlier application; which is very frustrating.

    My hardware, codec & playback device details are as follows -
    Code:
    # lspci -nn | grep -i audio
    00:01.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller [1002:9902]
    00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller [1022:780d] (rev 01)
    
    # head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
    Codec: ATI R6xx HDMI
    
    # aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: 92HD87B2/4 Analog [92HD87B2/4 Analog]
      Subdevices: 0/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    I don't know what to do here.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,774

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Quote Originally Posted by chigurh View Post
    I don't know what to do here.
    You could start informing us which version of openSUSE you use and which desktop environment.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You could start informing us which version of openSUSE you use and which desktop environment.
    Right.............

    Code:
    # uname -a
    Linux chigurh.mydomain.com 3.11.10-21-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 21 15:28:46 UTC 2014 (9a9565d) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I use default KDE Desktop Environment.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,774

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    When you do not know which openSUSE version (or even which Linux ditribution and version):
    Code:
    cat /etc/os-release
    The above only reveals the version of the kernel, wich may help in finding out which version of openSUSE this is most probably, but not 100% (and it requires extra thinking of the addressees.).
    Last edited by hcvv; 19-Oct-2014 at 07:31.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you do not know which openSUSE version (or even which Linux ditribution and version):
    Code:
    cat /etc/os-release
    The above only reveals the version of the kernel, wich may help in finding out which version of openSUSE this is most probably, but not 100% (and it requires extra thinking of the addressees.).
    My bad, I am using 13.1 -

    Code:
    # cat /etc/os-release
    NAME=openSUSE
    VERSION="13.1 (Bottle)"
    VERSION_ID="13.1"
    PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)"
    ID=opensuse
    ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
    CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:opensuse:13.1"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
    HOME_URL="https://opensuse.org/"
    ID_LIKE="suse"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,803

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Ok You should be using pulse audio which then should merge audio streams.

    Either some app is going direct to the hardware and thus blocking other streams or pulse is not configured.

    First step is to go to yast-sound device and check to see the pulse is active ( bottom right button)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Ok You should be using pulse audio which then should merge audio streams.

    Either some app is going direct to the hardware and thus blocking other streams or pulse is not configured.

    First step is to go to yast-sound device and check to see the pulse is active ( bottom right button)
    I have pulseaudio enabled but no joy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,803

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Hmmm what browser and what mediaplayer and what desktop

    You might want to install pavucontrol it might give a clue since it allows control for every sound producing app an app that does not show up is probably going straight to the dev file and blocking access

  9. #9

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Hmmm what browser and what mediaplayer and what desktop

    You might want to install pavucontrol it might give a clue since it allows control for every sound producing app an app that does not show up is probably going straight to the dev file and blocking access
    I am using Mozilla Firefox-ESR, There is pavucontrol installed, I checked all settings there. The sound works concurrently among various desktop media players such as Amarock, VLC, Xine, etc but not with browser/s.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,803

    Default Re: Unable to play concurrent audio while streaming audio/video in browser or otherway

    Sorry I have no clue. It sounds like the browsers are trying to use the /dev directly thus blocking others. But I don't know why it would do that. It works fine here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •