Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering switching to Opensuse

Hybrid View

Default Considering switching to Opensuse

Hello, I will first introduce myself as an undergrad physics student.

Since the summer, I have stopped using Windows OS and moved onto Linux based OS.
    I've tried Linux Mint 16 and 17 Cinnamon
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
    Lubuntu 14.04
    Debian 6

I have my secondary/"for work" laptop which is Lenovo T410S, I just swapped out my HDD to SSD and it's currently running Linux Mint 17 64bit Cinnamon Desktop.
    Here's the list of issues I've had with each distro:
    LM16&17,
    The touchpad and keyboard does not get recognized properly and it arbitrarily loads some combination of devices at each boot and I have to use modprobe to unplug and plug the touchpad and the OS itself I am finding it relatively unstable lately. DE crashes almost daily now. (No solution in the past 4 months)

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS:
    I HATE the Unity DE and it seems to break everytime I try to make any modification. (Issues I've had with LM17 did not occur here)

Lubuntu 14.04
    It breaks on itself as soon as I run the very first update, upgrade and dist-upgrade

Debian 6
    Very stable and standard repository is not as large as Ubuntu derivatives and I never had fully set it up on my laptop because I was switching from distro to distro quickly because I needed a reliable system within 3 days.

I have a one week "break" from school when I wouldn't need this laptop to be functioning at 100% in the next few weeks and I have a few options:
    1.ArchLinux
    2.Opensuse
    3.Give Unity another chance
    4.Wait for LM17.1 and hope for the best

My laptop will be used for:
    LaTeX, C and C++ editing, "ROOT" data analysis software, "R" data analysis language and software, Virtual Machine for Windows 7, SSH/SCP, Graphical Editing (Imagej or GIMP)

I am currently downloading Opensuse 13.1 to try out on Virtualbox but I never anticipated the issues I have with LM17 within VM because everything was loaded properly in the host Windows 7 OS. Would someone be able to advise me regarding what to watch out for if I were to make the switch to Opensuse regarding stability, known bugs, known incompatibilities and etc.?

My knowledge in Linux is limited to jumping from distro to distro (mainly staying with Linux Mint) for slightly over 4 months.

Thank you for your time
    -SJL

Blog Entries

Default Re: Considering switching to Opensuse

All those are great distros too

IMO, your solution is to be found not in alternate distributions, but in establishing a open source purchasing mentality.

Having said that, you can often iron out some of these niggles with the help of the distro support forums. Have you worked with these?

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are very similar as Mint is built from Ubuntu and Ubuntu is basically Debian....

Ubuntu is usually really quite good when it comes to just working...
    Have you considered kubuntu

But openSUSE is of course my personal fav. and choice.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hello,

I have been actively seeking a solution for my touchpad/keyboard issues in support forums
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=173213

unfortunately without success.

Instability surfaced only last week and I know for a fact that it's not a hardware issue because it has worked perfectly fine with Ubuntu (minus the failing HDD at the time)

I may try Kubuntu within this weekend but I was hoping for something with better reputations when it comes to stability because I am a little bit tired of re-installing everything more than once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    ... I was hoping for something with better reputations when it comes to stability because I am a little bit tired of re-installing everything more than once a month.
    In my experiences, stability is one of the primary reasons I settled on openSUSE, along with great configuration interface with Yast and a super-friendly, immensely helpfull Community on this Forum.

I have it installed on a multitude of machines, and I have set up a multitude of Linux newcomers with it, to their delight.

I urge you to give it a run and stick with it awhile to see.

Any difficulties, come back here to experience the help from seasoned veterans.

And, welcome aboard.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    Hello,

I have been actively seeking a solution for my touchpad/keyboard issues in support forums
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=173213

unfortunately without success.

Instability surfaced only last week and I know for a fact that it's not a hardware issue because it has worked perfectly fine with Ubuntu (minus the failing HDD at the time)

I may try Kubuntu within this weekend but I was hoping for something with better reputations when it comes to stability because I am a little bit tired of re-installing everything more than once a month.
    It read to me at one point like you had success.
    Personally I hate touch pads and all that and usually turn them off in favour of a wireless mouse. But that doesn't help you.

It's just something you'll have to work with for the time being.
    I'd prefer to skip thru whatever hoops are required in favour of a Linux install any day.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I used to like Mint but switch to openSuse when I got dis-satisfied with the look and feel of the Gnome applications.
    I also had a requirement for encrypting the laptop and openSuse's installer was the best for that.

However, if you like Gnome and Ubuntu you could try ZorinOS.
    I have it on my wifes laptop and it looks much better than Unity!
    http://zorin-os.com/gallery.html

I just finished testing Opensuse 13.1 on Virtualbox and I have to admit that I am truly impressed, one thing that I'd like to find out is if/how I can move an active application to another "desktop" or "workspace"(in Ubuntu/Linux Mint language)
    I also like the fact konsole is there by default. It's my favorite terminal. It seems that I will need to find my way to set up hotkeys and get used zypper instead of apt-get. I am finding that it boots a little bit slower than other distros with similar parameters which won't matter too much because my work laptop has SSD. I WILL need tips on optimizing it for SSD though. Starting with partition management (I am likely to have 0 swap)

As I've mentioned above, for some reason the hardware incompatibility did not occur with Ubuntu 14.04.1 for some reason. I think I am going to back everything up and try on Opensuse at full scale next week.

Regarding my thread at Linux Mint community, weird part is that the hardware incompatibility surfaced so arbitrarily, I thought it was fixed until it resurfaced and the entire OS crashed and refused to boot.

Blog Entries

One thing is for sure.
    If you want to get an accurate reflection of a newly installed systems stability. You need to maintain a status quo. That would mean;
    Install, Patch fully, add mutlimedia and additional basics, and run.
    Avoid any unusual additions of non-standard or proprietary form.

One problem with distro hopping is you can loose track of the facts and never really get a feel for any one system.
    On the other hand it is good for experience, and the more, the better.

Ubuntu's UI just takes some getting used to.
    But for stability I actually find openSUSE by far the best.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Well, I will admit that I am quite nicely settled in with Linux Mint, I know my around quite well except I cannot fix the touchpad/keyboard problem and that I cannot explain that recent crashes. I have booted OpenSUSE 13.1 using live cd without any issues but I want to wait to get 13.2 in the mean while I would greatly appreciate the following:

1.Setting up "Virtual Desktop" shortcuts
    such that I can move this active application to the next virtual desktop purely using keyboard (I didn't see one by default)

2. Optimizing for SSD
    fstrim equivalent,
    partition management.

3. I still need MS Word, I'm currently using Crossover 13, do I use .deb package or the red hat package?

4. Environmental variables:
    For ROOT and python I have added a few lines to my .bashrc and .rootrc using "export" this=$OverHere
    would the syntax still be valid?
    I also have access to Scientific Linux 6.5 which are installed in my lab computers, one thing I notice is that they use sentenv instead of export and cshell instead of bshell

I am currently quite comfortable with the Debian derivatives but not with other distros.

I have decided to go with KDE desktop instead of Gnome 3 because Gnome seems almost identical to Unity.
    I am currently down to Kbuntu and OpenSuse and currently Opensuse seems to have my favour due to reviews on its' stability and I am hoping that this jump is the very last one at least for the rest of the year.

I actually halted myself from formatting my drive about an hour ago to get opensuse installed because as little as the 4 things sound, they are important at least to me.

Blog Entries

1. Don't know. Not something I have ever had the need for.

2. I don't have SSD's either

3. There should be a .rpm or .bin

4. No idea

Sorry I can't be more useful. Standby for other replies from forum users.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast