Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering switching to Opensuse

Default Considering switching to Opensuse

Hello, I will first introduce myself as an undergrad physics student.

Since the summer, I have stopped using Windows OS and moved onto Linux based OS.
    I've tried Linux Mint 16 and 17 Cinnamon
    Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
    Lubuntu 14.04
    Debian 6

I have my secondary/"for work" laptop which is Lenovo T410S, I just swapped out my HDD to SSD and it's currently running Linux Mint 17 64bit Cinnamon Desktop.
    Here's the list of issues I've had with each distro:
    LM16&17,
    The touchpad and keyboard does not get recognized properly and it arbitrarily loads some combination of devices at each boot and I have to use modprobe to unplug and plug the touchpad and the OS itself I am finding it relatively unstable lately. DE crashes almost daily now. (No solution in the past 4 months)

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS:
    I HATE the Unity DE and it seems to break everytime I try to make any modification. (Issues I've had with LM17 did not occur here)

Lubuntu 14.04
    It breaks on itself as soon as I run the very first update, upgrade and dist-upgrade

Debian 6
    Very stable and standard repository is not as large as Ubuntu derivatives and I never had fully set it up on my laptop because I was switching from distro to distro quickly because I needed a reliable system within 3 days.

I have a one week "break" from school when I wouldn't need this laptop to be functioning at 100% in the next few weeks and I have a few options:
    1.ArchLinux
    2.Opensuse
    3.Give Unity another chance
    4.Wait for LM17.1 and hope for the best

My laptop will be used for:
    LaTeX, C and C++ editing, "ROOT" data analysis software, "R" data analysis language and software, Virtual Machine for Windows 7, SSH/SCP, Graphical Editing (Imagej or GIMP)

I am currently downloading Opensuse 13.1 to try out on Virtualbox but I never anticipated the issues I have with LM17 within VM because everything was loaded properly in the host Windows 7 OS. Would someone be able to advise me regarding what to watch out for if I were to make the switch to Opensuse regarding stability, known bugs, known incompatibilities and etc.?

My knowledge in Linux is limited to jumping from distro to distro (mainly staying with Linux Mint) for slightly over 4 months.

Thank you for your time
    -SJL

Blog Entries

Default Re: Considering switching to Opensuse

All those are great distros too

IMO, your solution is to be found not in alternate distributions, but in establishing a open source purchasing mentality.

Having said that, you can often iron out some of these niggles with the help of the distro support forums. Have you worked with these?

Linux Mint and Ubuntu are very similar as Mint is built from Ubuntu and Ubuntu is basically Debian....

Ubuntu is usually really quite good when it comes to just working...
    Have you considered kubuntu

But openSUSE is of course my personal fav. and choice.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hello,

I have been actively seeking a solution for my touchpad/keyboard issues in support forums
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=173213

unfortunately without success.

Instability surfaced only last week and I know for a fact that it's not a hardware issue because it has worked perfectly fine with Ubuntu (minus the failing HDD at the time)

I may try Kubuntu within this weekend but I was hoping for something with better reputations when it comes to stability because I am a little bit tired of re-installing everything more than once a month.

[QUOTE=SJLPHI;2669864]I have a one week "break" from school when I wouldn't need this laptop to be functioning at 100% in the next few weeks and I have a few options:
    1.ArchLinux
    2.Opensuse

LaTeX, C and C++ editing, "ROOT" data analysis software, "R" data analysis language and software, Virtual Machine for Windows 7, SSH/SCP, Graphical Editing (Imagej or GIMP)/QUOTE]

The Lenovo T410s should be good to run any major GNU/Linux distro and it does have a pointer as well as a touch-pad.
    Good luck with testing openSUSE 13.1 and please do raise any issues here. Some very wise and helpful users monitor this forum. You might consider adding Fedora to your list of test candidates. As a very 'general user' I run openSUSE 13.1 KDE on Lenovo X230 laptop with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by SJLPHI View Post
    ... I was hoping for something with better reputations when it comes to stability because I am a little bit tired of re-installing everything more than once a month.
    In my experiences, stability is one of the primary reasons I settled on openSUSE, along with great configuration interface with Yast and a super-friendly, immensely helpfull Community on this Forum.

I have it installed on a multitude of machines, and I have set up a multitude of Linux newcomers with it, to their delight.

I urge you to give it a run and stick with it awhile to see.

Any difficulties, come back here to experience the help from seasoned veterans.

And, welcome aboard.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Blog Entries

I have a one week "break" from school when I wouldn't need this laptop to be functioning at 100% in the next few weeks and I have a few options:
    1.ArchLinux
    2.Opensuse
    This is mostly opinion.

Forget Arch. It will take more than a week. It's an excellent system for learning the nuts and bolts, but that takes time.

I'm sympathetic with your disapproval of Unity.

Obviously, I'm an opensuse user and prefer opensuse to Mint, though I do have Mint installed somewhere.

The kind of problems that you are describing are as likely to occur on opensuse as on Mint. They seem to be the problems of the software (mostly drivers) not yet handling the newest hardware. That's a fact of life in the open source world. One sometimes has to make do, and hope that the next version will handle things better (it usually does).

I guess one advantage of opensuse is that version 13.2 will come out soon, and probably have newer kernel and drivers than the other systems that you have tried. But there's still no guarantee that it will solve your problems.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Thumbs up Re: Considering switching to Opensuse

1.ArchLinux
    2.Opensuse
    As you are a beginner, strictly don't go for ArchLinux as it's command line interface (CLI) based on only. First try ArchLinux on a virtual machine and install it only when you feel comfortable with it. If don't like Unity you can go for Kubuntu or Ubuntu-GNOME.

LaTeX, C and C++ editing, "ROOT" data analysis software, "R" data analysis language and software, Virtual Machine for Windows 7, SSH/SCP, Graphical Editing (Imagej or GIMP)
    All your work requirements will easily be served by any major distro.

My knowledge in Linux is limited to jumping from distro to distro (mainly staying with Linux Mint) for slightly over 4 months.
    A piece of advice. Instead of jumping from one distro to other, settle down with any one distro, get used with linux environment. And don't switch just because you are facing some issues, post in the forums for help.

Also before installing check the look and feel of distro and the desktop-environment KDE/GNOME.

Some praise for openSUSE- stable, good laptop hardware support, large collection of wiki articles, active forum support, a very strong GUI control tool - yast

Blog Entries

Hello,

I have been actively seeking a solution for my touchpad/keyboard issues in support forums
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=173213

unfortunately without success.

Instability surfaced only last week and I know for a fact that it's not a hardware issue because it has worked perfectly fine with Ubuntu (minus the failing HDD at the time)

I may try Kubuntu within this weekend but I was hoping for something with better reputations when it comes to stability because I am a little bit tired of re-installing everything more than once a month.
    It read to me at one point like you had success.
    Personally I hate touch pads and all that and usually turn them off in favour of a wireless mouse. But that doesn't help you.

It's just something you'll have to work with for the time being.
    I'd prefer to skip thru whatever hoops are required in favour of a Linux install any day.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

On 2014-10-17 16:46, vish 99 wrote:

> A piece of advice. Instead of jumping from one distro to other, settle
    > down with any one distro, get used with linux environment. And don't
    > switch just because you are facing some issues, post in the forums for
    > help.

My thought exactly :-)

Of course, if you don't like the feeling or can not get it to work right
    or it is too difficult, jump :-)

Ah, and 13.1 is a long term version, so if it works for you (SJLPHI),
    you don't need to reinstall for a year and a half more, close to two
    years (making a total of about 3 years)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

I used to like Mint but switch to openSuse when I got dis-satisfied with the look and feel of the Gnome applications.
    I also had a requirement for encrypting the laptop and openSuse's installer was the best for that.

However, if you like Gnome and Ubuntu you could try ZorinOS.
    I have it on my wifes laptop and it looks much better than Unity!
    http://zorin-os.com/gallery.html

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast