Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

  1. #1

    Default Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

    Why is it that distros brag about coming out with the latest Firefox, when it's not even the latest?
    Suse's release of RC1 Distrowatch description says they added Firefox 32.

    Firefox 33 just came out!

    But I know it is a hard situation to keep up with FireFux because they sometimes release new
    browsers weekly!

    Instead of releasing news about the latest browser, why don't you create some kind of system
    that lets users know that Firefox will be consistenly updated as the new releases become available?

    Why does the Linux OS need to lag behind Winblows? In order to beat the competition, you need to
    stay Ahead of them.

  2. #2
    Chris Maaskant NNTP User

    Default Re: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

    AlliedForces wrote:

    > Why does the Linux OS need to lag behind Winblows? In order to beat the
    > competition, you need to


    Go to school.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stoney Stanton - England
    Posts
    1,102

    Default Re: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,703

    Default Re: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

    I might point out you can always instal the latest No one stops you there is even a Mozilla repo that has the latest within days of the release. You can also download the daily codes and compile them yourself. The "official" repos tend to be a little conservative and try to put out known stable code. Also for most packages you don't get the newest you get patches/fixes to the version that ships. If you want the cutting edge latest you must install yourself you don't get it as a automatic update. Some people like stability.

    When you ride the cutting edge be prepared to bleed!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

    On 2014-10-15 17:06, AlliedForces wrote:

    > Instead of releasing news about the latest browser, why don't you create
    > some kind of system
    > that lets users know that Firefox will be consistenly updated as the new
    > releases become available?


    How long have you been using Linux? A day? Don't you know that we do
    have such a system? :-/

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-10-15 17:06, AlliedForces wrote:

    > Instead of releasing news about the latest browser, why don't you create
    > some kind of system
    > that lets users know that Firefox will be consistenly updated as the new
    > releases become available?


    How long have you been using Linux? A day? Don't you know that we do
    have such a system? :-/
    Right, and it is system-wide for all packages.
    On Windows every program has to implement this itself.

    And openSUSE does release the latest Firefox version through the standard updates.
    Ok, it lags behind the official release a few days, but the maintainence process (packaging the new version, build packages, testing the packages) takes its time. So what?

    Btw, at the time when openSUSE 13.2 RC1 was release, Firefox 32 was the latest version.
    So how could it include anything newer?
    Last edited by wolfi323; 15-Oct-2014 at 12:45.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

    On 2014-10-15 21:46, wolfi323 wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2669606 Wrote:
    >> On 2014-10-15 17:06, AlliedForces wrote:
    >>
    >>> Instead of releasing news about the latest browser, why don't you create some kind of system
    >>> that lets users know that Firefox will be consistenly updated as the new releases become available?

    >>
    >> How long have you been using Linux? A day? Don't you know that we do
    >> have such a system? :-/
    >>

    > Right, and it is system-wide for all packages.
    > On Windows every program has to implement this itself.


    Right.
    And in Linux, you can also update Firefox straight from the developers.
    I believe there is also a nightly build, if you wish.

    It stands to reason that the distributions need some days to take the
    package when released upstream, verify, adapt, and prepare it, then
    distribute it via the openSUSE update channel. Microsoft, if they
    distributed Firefox, which they don't, would do the same: take their time.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    405

    Default Re: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I might point out you can always instal the latest No one stops you there is even a Mozilla repo that has the latest within days of the release. You can also download the daily codes and compile them yourself. The "official" repos tend to be a little conservative and try to put out known stable code. Also for most packages you don't get the newest you get patches/fixes to the version that ships. If you want the cutting edge latest you must install yourself you don't get it as a automatic update. Some people like stability.

    When you ride the cutting edge be prepared to bleed!!
    Firefox 33.0 isn't the cutting edge. It is the latest release from Mozilla. Beta, Aurora and Nightly are the cutting edge versions.

    Why should a user need to add the Open Build Service repo to get Firefox 33.0, Thunderbird 31.2.0 and SeaMonkey 2.30 when they should be in the update repo for security reasons.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

  9. #9

    Default Re: Firefox 32... Yippee! (not)

    Quote Originally Posted by rafter22 View Post
    Why should a user need to add the Open Build Service repo to get Firefox 33.0, Thunderbird 31.2.0 and SeaMonkey 2.30 when they should be in the update repo for security reasons.
    Yes, and it will be released as standard update in a few days. A user does _not_ need to add the Open Build Service repo to get them.
    That was exactly my point.

    Firefox 33 has been submitted to the maintenance process already:
    https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...intenance:3068
    And here's Thunderbird 31.2.0 and seamonkey 2.30:
    https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...intenance:3070
    https://build.opensuse.org/project/s...intenance:3081

    But the process takes a few days until the package ends up in the Update repo.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 16-Oct-2014 at 08:14.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •