Qtcreator / designer problems

I’m trying to install Qtcreator from the latest source taken off their web site - qt-everywhere-opensource-5.3.2. I can’t get past the ./configure stage as it show problems with the xcb libraries. I have installed everything I can find in this area with YAST but the problem persists. Any ideas?

On a secondary note as I may have some version confusion I did have a version installed from the buildservice that I think was called KDE:QT4 however as I wanted to update it I over installed using this repo

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt53/openSUSE_12.3 KDE:Qt53.repo

This doesn’t seem to be a 5.3 version at all. It shows Qt Creator 3.2.1 based on Qt 5.3.2 so I am not sure if this is the same as the source I am trying to install. Worse still documentation is missing and when I try to start a Qt project it complains about no kits. I didn’t have either problem with the one on the build service which seems to have disappeared. Maybe there is a fix for this aspect?

:wink: Sorry there seems to be 3 questions - which are the most up to date? how do I get the documentation and kits aspect fixed? how do I resolve the xcb lib problem?

One thing I do need is the documentation and examples which do come with the source files.

John

Somewhere you mention a repo that has 12.3 in it’s path. Does this mean that you run openSUSE 12.3?

That’s the Qt4 version obviously.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt53/openSUSE_12.3 KDE:Qt53.repo

This doesn’t seem to be a 5.3 version at all. It shows Qt Creator 3.2.1 based on Qt 5.3.2 so I am not sure if this is the same as the source I am trying to install.

There is no qt-creator 5.3. 3.2.1 is the latest version.
If you look at The Qt Project, you’ll see this when you click on “Other downloads”:

Qt 5.3

Select the file according to your operating system from the list below to get the latest Qt 5.3 for your computer. The binary packages include Qt 5.3.2 libraries and Qt Creator 3.2.1

Worse still documentation is missing and when I try to start a Qt project it complains about no kits.

No idea about the kits as I don’t use qt-creator, and only have the Qt4 version installed.

Which package did you install exactly?
It should be libqt5-creator, that should pull in everything else that’s necessary.

how do I resolve the xcb lib problem?

Which xcb lib problem?
You mean when you compile qt yourself?
You probably miss the package libxcb-devel.

But I wouldn’t recommend compiling it yourself.

One thing I do need is the documentation and examples which do come with the source files.

The examples are in the libqt5-xxx-examples packages, the documentation is in the libqt5-xxx-doc packages.

I would really recommend to add the repo to your system if you haven’t done so already, and then use YaST to install the packages.

If you don’t necessarily need the latest Qt5 version, install the Qt4 version instead, it is included in 13.1.
The package is called “qt-creator” and works fine here.
It’s definitely easier to install, as libqt4 doesn’t have that many subpackages.

Be sure you have the development version of the packages that it says it need.

Thanks Wolfie. That clears a lot up. I had been getting the impression that the version numbering was causing me some confusion.

Out of interest the one I had installed before is here

http://software.opensuse.org/package/qt-creator

KDE:Qt under show none supported packages. This does come with the documentation in one click. I have installed it again which removed the one from the repo address I posted. There wasn’t a “kit” problem with this one last time I had it installed but there seems to be now. The qtdesigner icon is not active.

My reason for looking for upgrades came from a problem with Qtdesigner. I built something that used knob widgets. Quote - these inherit everything from sliders - unfortunately this includes odd behaviour when a knob is clicked on. The knobs can be rotated with the mouse wheel or by dragging but there doesn’t seem to be any way of discarding mouse clicks. :’(

I think I will go back to the repo package again and ask about any problems as they crop up.

John

Just in case anyone else finds these posts later

I just used YAST to update all libxcb files and the loaded everyone that it found - I still get this message at the end of a very extensive configure.

Running configuration tests…
The test for linking against libxcb and support libraries failed!
You might need to install dependency packages, or pass -qt-xcb.
See src/plugins/platforms/xcb/README.
john@… :~/Documents/Software/Qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.3.2>

Think I will go though the files mentioned in the readme but it mentions substitution on Ubuntu and other things on Fedora. rotfl! - after a good nights sleep.

I suspect I may find it’s paths problem but there is no indication of how to get round that if it is. A missing file would be preferable.

John

Just a note: if you use qt-creator from the KDE:Qt repo (it is included in 12.3’s main repo as well), you should probably also install libqt4 from there.
Either use “zypper dup --from” or click on “Switch all system packages to the versions in this repository” in YaST’s repository view.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_change_update#Full_repository_Vendor_change

And another thing: try to remove ~/.config/Trolltech.conf and/or ~/.config/QtProject, maybe that helps?

Other than that I don’t know really. As I said, the package in the standard 13.1 repo works fine for me, as did 12.3’s before I upgraded to 13.1.
And libqt-creator from KDE:Qt5 worked fine as well when I tried it once.

But maybe you can add a “Kit” in Tools->Options->Build and Run->Kits.

As I have trashed my machine trying to fix xcb dependencies when compiling from source I would suggest that people don’t try the things I mentioned. Now when I reboot kde wont start. Possible causes

A YAST update adding 32bit xcb files as well

A very extensive patch update via Zypper. 200mb + saving 25mb

Chasing down the files mentioned in the qt install xcb readme, libxcb1, libx11-xcb1 and libxrender plus their dev versions.

There were no worrying dependency warnings. This is the first time I have had this happen. I often install unsupported photographic applications from the build service and compile a few others from source if that’s the only option. I must admit I was a little worried about updates to X but expected warnings.

:’(I think I need to start another thread to see what my options are.

John