Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual-boot USB Flash drive

Default Re: Dual-boot USB Flash drive

Trouble with doing an install is that things are set up for the target hardware where as a live image is set to detect and adjust to most any hardware. The reason is quick boots. On an installed system the settings are all preordained to that hardware and booting on anything different can be problematic. The ISO image is made to do the detection at every boot (thus taking longer but more likley to work). So it is not as straight forward as it initially appears.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Trouble with doing an install is that things are set up for the target hardware where as a live image is set to detect and adjust to most any hardware. The reason is quick boots. On an installed system the settings are all preordained to that hardware and booting on anything different can be problematic. The ISO image is made to do the detection at every boot (thus taking longer but more likley to work). So it is not as straight forward as it initially appears.
    Again, you make another good point, G.

I did not mention it yet in this thread, but I have elsewhere on the forum: For my main troubleshooting tool, I carry around a USB key with Puppy Linux (so far, boots every USB-bootable PC I have encountered and configures very nicely) and a Puppy Linux boot CD.

Personally, if I was planning a lot of machine hopping, I would be using Puppy Linux, boots darn near anything.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~~~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Thanks for the useful tips, Fraser_Bell and gogalthorpe! Yes, I am often consulted by friends and family to help repairing their PC. Have been putting BartPE, UBCD4Windows and System Rescue on my USB Flash drive. Will try to add Puppy Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by hallergard View Post
    Thanks for the useful tips, Fraser_Bell and gogalthorpe! Yes, I am often consulted by friends and family to help repairing their PC. Have been putting BartPE, UBCD4Windows and System Rescue on my USB Flash drive. Will try to add Puppy Linux!
    Puppy Linux will want its own USB key, usually. But, there are ways around that, if you insist. I just prefer to have it on its own key. (Fits nicely on a small key) I add extra directories to the root of the key and in there carry my reference files and a lot of installation files for both Linux and Windows, including things like the latest Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, and even ISOs for openSUSE install DVDs, etc.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~~~~

hallergard
    But I cannot do it with windows
    Fraser_Bell
    Puppy Linux will want its own USB key
    Took the above as a challange, and here is the result: http://goo.gl/3n8tl8 and http://youtu.be/LHTO66-bfiwdd
    It is possible to shrink an NTFS partition with Ranish Partition Manager and then just ignore the conflicts. It is also possible to shrink FAT32 and NTFS partitions with GParted - but (at least for me) the conflicts rather soon took away the ability to boot the first (Windows) partition.

Actually for shrinking a NTFS partition I would now recommend using Gparted.

Quote Originally Posted by hallergard View Post
    Actually for shrinking a NTFS partition I would now recommend using Gparted.
    I still recommend that, myself. Just be certain to run a full filesystem check of the NTFS partition with Windows (preferably a mini-Windows external boot, such as found on the Hiren's Boot CD) afterwards before using the NTFS partition very much.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~~~~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12