GTK software manager gone for 13.2?

Hi,

I can’t seem to figure out how to launch the GTK software manager for YaST in 13.2 and Factory. I even tried running “yast2 sw_single --gtk”, and it says GTK interface not found, falling back to QT. Has the GTK interface been eliminated?

Thanks!

Should that be:

yast2 --gtk sw_single

I prefer the qt interface. However:

yast2 --gtk

Seems to work both in 13.2 RC1 and in factory.

[QUOTE=nrickert;2669129]Should that be:

yast2 --gtk sw_single

Hmm, it still says “GTK GUI wanted but not found, falling back to Qt”. I have yast2-control-center-gnome installed too. Any more tips? Thanks for the help!

[quote="“rahim123,post:3,topic:103565”]

I’m not sure what is missing on your system. Here, I do have Gnome, XFCE and LXDE installed (as well as KDE which is what I mainly use). I guess you are missing something that one or more of those desktops brought in.

I have just searched for “yast” in Yast software managment. That should find everything with “yast” in either the name or the description. All but 5 of what I have installed in those search results have package names that begin “yast”. But I have nowhere near all of the packages whose names begin “yast”.

Of the 5 exceptions, three have names beginning “pattern”, and the other two are “autoyast2-installation” and “libyui-ncurses-pkg6”. This is with factory 20141002. I’ll update to 20141009 first thing tomorrow morning. I did previously look at a system already updated to 20141009, and the gtk interface works there too.

One of the patterns is “patterns-openSUSE-gnome_yast”. If you don’t have that installed, you might want to try installing it to see if it solves your problem.

Check that you have libyui-gtk6 and libyui-gtk-pkg6 installed, and install them if not.

Apparently the YaST GTK interface got removed from the patterns (i.e. it is not installed by default even on GNOME) because of some problems with the Gtk interface.
The changelog of the patterns package contains this:

Thu Oct  2 03:11:46 UTC 2014 - badshah400@gmail.com
- Pattern gnome_yast: Replace libyui-gtk-pkg and
  yast2-control-center-gnome in gnome_yast pattern with its qt
  version; the gtk bindings have critical bugs (see bnc#897910,
  bnc#891183, bnc#852730) but seem unmaintained for now.

No idea though what the plans are regarding this, i.e. whether the bugs will get fixed and YaST GTK added back in time for 13.2 or not.

Interesting. Then why is it working for me?

I can understand it working in a factory install that I have been updating with “zypper dup”, because I might have already had the packages. But why is it working in 13.2-RC1, for which I did a clean install? I did not explicitly install “libyui-gtk6”.

Thanks very much wolfi323! That was the trick.

Humorously, the mentioned “patterns-openSUSE-gnome_yast” package requires the QT packages. :slight_smile: (As mentioned, this is apparently due to bugs in the GTK interface.)

Well, this change has been accepted to 13.2 5 days ago:

But the package in 13.2 RC1 is from September 29th and still specifies libyui-gtk and yast2-control-center-gnome as requirements.
The change went into 13.2 after the RC1 apparently and is not in the repo yet.

But it is in Factory.

No idea then why YaST Gtk doesn’t work for the OP then on 13.2 then (for Factory it’s clear). Maybe he installed a different desktop and only added GNOME/yast2-control-center-gnome afterwards? That would not pull in libyui-gtk I think (unless he would explicitely install the gnome_yast pattern).

But manually installing libyui-gtk6 and libyui-gtk-pkg6 should fix it in both cases.