Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 13.2 x64 RC1 booting slowly. Want to know what's going on before filing a bug.

Default Re: 13.2 x64 RC1 booting slowly. Want to know what's going on before filing a bug.

Gnome-clocks still occasionally floods the journal.
    Nonetheless, disabling journal-on-disk seems a more sensible default IMHO, especially on the Gnome Live Media that is more likely to end up in laptops.
    After all, it is almost useless to ordinary desktop users and server sysadmins know how to set it up should they need one.
    Since this is not a "bug" proper, I don't know how to get the attention of the packagers; may be Wolfi323 knows how to...

Default Re: 13.2 x64 RC1 booting slowly. Want to know what's going on before filing a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Gnome-clocks still occasionally floods the journal.
    Well, this is definitely worth a bug report, I'd say.

Nonetheless, disabling journal-on-disk seems a more sensible default IMHO, especially on the Gnome Live Media that is more likely to end up in laptops.
    I don't think it would be a good idea to not have any on-disk logs at all by default.

On 13.1 the persistent journal is disabled by default, you have to manually create /var/log/journal/ to activate it. But there, rsyslog is installed by default and writing the logs.
    For Factory/13.2 they switched to use the journal by default instead. rsyslog is not installed automatically any more IIANM, to not have the same logs twice.

Since this is not a "bug" proper, I don't know how to get the attention of the packagers; may be Wolfi323 knows how to...
    You mean "disabling journal-on-disk"?
    You could suggest it on the opensuse-factory mailing list. But this has been discussed before.
    I don't think many people there would like your idea...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, this is definitely worth a bug report, I'd say.
    Well, dup-ing to 13.2 and will see what happens...

I don't think it would be a good idea to not have any on-disk logs at all by default.

You mean "disabling journal-on-disk"?
    You could suggest it on the opensuse-factory mailing list. But this has been discussed before.
    I don't think many people there would like your idea...
    OK, just tuning mine so it doesn't hurt so much.

Thanks,
    Bruno

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123