Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between package installation with rpm and zypper

Default Difference between package installation with rpm and zypper

Hello Everyone,

I want to know the difference between installing the package through rpm command and zypper. When I tried to install zenity package through rpm command it shows dependencies to be installed while I try to install the same package with zypper it is not installing any other packages. Why is it so?

Thanks.

Default Re: Difference between package installation with rpm and zypper

rpm does not pull in dependencies you got to do that manually
    zypper/yast/apper all resolve dependencies and will download and install any that are needed that can be found in the available repos

Does that help??

If you install via rpm, compiled from source on your computer or downloaded from internet, you have to make sure of all the dependencies and their version numbers. This method is preferable when you want to install a particular .rpm file else let the yast or zypper do the dirty job for you and you don't have to worry about version compatibility. They'll pull the appropriate dependency list for you. In general, zypper and yast are user friendly tools that makes ones life easier. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Hrudai.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    rpm does not pull in dependencies you got to do that manually
    zypper/yast/apper all resolve dependencies and will download and install any that are needed that can be found in the available repos

Does that help??

Thanks for the reply but why does zenity package lists dependencies when installing through rpm but doesn't list any dependencies while installing the same with zypper.

Quote Originally Posted by hrudaireddy View Post
    If you install via rpm, compiled from source on your computer or downloaded from internet, you have to make sure of all the dependencies and their version numbers. This method is preferable when you want to install a particular .rpm file else let the yast or zypper do the dirty job for you and you don't have to worry about version compatibility. They'll pull the appropriate dependency list for you. In general, zypper and yast are user friendly tools that makes ones life easier. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Hrudai.

Thank You Hrudai but when installing the same package with zypper doesn't install any dependencies whereas installing with rpm asks for dependencies.

Quote Originally Posted by nishanth9042 View Post
    Thank You Hrudai but when installing the same package with zypper doesn't install any dependencies whereas installing with rpm asks for dependencies.
    Hmm. Did you check the version of the package you're trying to install? I'm guessing, the (rpm)version you're trying to install is different from the one installed by zypper. Since a different version of a package may require different set of dependencies, you're asked to install dependencies. The best way to check this is using Yast aka Software Management. I'd recommend you to install a package using zypper or Yast. This way, you get the latest stable packages from the selected repos. It's much safer too coz the risk of breaking your install is very minimal.

Regards,
    Hrudai.

Hmm. Did you check the version of the package you're trying to install? I'm guessing, the (rpm)version you're trying to install is different from the one installed by zypper. Since a different version of a package may require different set of dependencies, you're asked to install dependencies. The best way to check this is using Yast aka Software Management. I'd recommend you to install a package using zypper or Yast. This way, you get the latest stable packages from the selected repos. It's much safer too coz the risk of breaking your install is very minimal.

Regards,
    Hrudai.

Yeah, I have checked the version and both are same.

Interesting. It could be because of what was packaged into the rpm and what was left out. I think the only way to be sure about it is by comparing their sources.
    Did you compile it yourself or downloaded it from the internet?

Regards,
    Hrudai.

Maybe your zypper cache or your RPM database are outdated/inconsistent.

Try running "sudo zypper clean -a" (or remove the directory /var/cache/zypp/).
    And if that doesn't help, "sudo rpm --rebuilddb".

And maybe it would help if you posted the exact dependency message you get.

There is absolutely no difference in dependency handling between zypper/YaST/apper/rpm, because everything uses rpm in the end.

Interesting. It could be because of what was packaged into the rpm and what was left out. I think the only way to be sure about it is by comparing their sources.
    Did you compile it yourself or downloaded it from the internet?

Regards,
    Hrudai.
    I have downloaded the package from official repository.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast