Thread: Cannot remove kmail widget from panel

Default Cannot remove kmail widget from panel

Before you say, "Just right click and select remove", I have to point out that right-clicking the icon gives me a menu of PANEL options, not widget options.

I've also read the directions for editing a non-existent Desktop file.

I suppose I could remove the panel, re-install it and re-add the widgets; but, I'd like to avoid it.

This is a new install of 13.1 using the KDE/plasma interface. It replaces the CentOS installation I've been using for the last ten years.

Default Re: Cannot remove kmail widget from panel

Quote Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
    Before you say, "Just right click and select remove", I have to point out that right-clicking the icon gives me a menu of PANEL options, not widget options.

I've also read the directions for editing a non-existent Desktop file.

I suppose I could remove the panel, re-install it and re-add the widgets; but, I'd like to avoid it.
    There is _no_ KMail "widget".
    Can you please post a screenshot to clarify what icon you want to get rid of?

Probably you mean KMail's system tray icon. In this case even removing the panel and creating a new one wouldn't help...
    But then you should in fact get a context menu when you right-click on it, including an option to quit KMail.
    Have you tried to _left_ click on the icon?

The Kmail client "whatever you want to call it". I dragged a copy out of the application launcher and put it on a panel.

Right clicking does have a "Icon Settings" but there isn't any Remove.

Since I created the panel and added the icons, I do not understand why destroying the panel and rebuilding it would result in the Kmial client still being on the new panel.

Left clicking launches Kmail.

unlock widgets (right click desktop select unlock widgets)
    click the cashew on right of panel this brings up the panel config panel put mouse over the icon click the red X that pops up. that should remove the icon

lock the widgets again (right click desktop select lock widgets)

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    unlock widgets (right click desktop select unlock widgets)
    click the cashew on right of panel this brings up the panel config panel put mouse over the icon click the red X that pops up. that should remove the icon

lock the widgets again (right click desktop select lock widgets)
    Thank you! This worked, even though "there is no Kmail widget".

Quote Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
    Thank you! This worked, even though "there is no Kmail widget".
    Right, "there is no Kmail widget".
    What you added was an "Icon" widget.

That's why I asked for a screenshot, because I was not sure what exactly you meant.
    (KMail does show an icon in the system tray when it is running)

Btw, the feature to remove widgets by just right-clicking on them was removed because users accidentally removed their task manager (or similar widgets) and filed bug reports about that...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-Oct-2014 at 07:56.

Note that in KDE everything on the screen is a widget. Only question is what kind of widget. For the kmail icon it is a widget representing a short cut to kmail. Widgets can be active code like the clipboard or the clock widgets. But if a program is running it can be shown as a widget on the task manager which itself lives on a panel widget.

Widgets are vector objects thus perfectly scalable unlike icons in other OSs which are fixed sized graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Note that in KDE everything on the screen is a widget. Only question is what kind of widget.
    Well, that depends on how you define "widget".

You are right that in X (not only KDE) every GUI component is a "widget".

Maybe we should better call them "plasmoids" here, to be clear what is meant.
    At least that's the most common use of the word "widget" nowadays IMHO.

For the kmail icon it is a widget representing a short cut to kmail.
    Yes, but as I wrote, kmail also shows an icon in the system tray when it is running (this can be turned off though, but it is on by default IIANM).
    I thought the OP meant this one.

Widgets can be active code like the clipboard or the clock widgets. But if a program is running it can be shown as a widget on the task manager which itself lives on a panel widget.
    No.
    The task manager doesn't show widgets.
    It shows a list of open windows/applications.
    It is a widget/plasmoid itself though.

And I referred to the system tray, which just shows icons.
    Especially the old system tray specification (still used by KDE3 and most GTK applications e.g.) didn't even allow active code. Back then actually a window was opened by the application with just an icon, that got embedded into the system tray.

Widgets are vector objects thus perfectly scalable unlike icons in other OSs which are fixed sized graphics.
    But (old style) system tray icons are _not_.
    They have a fixed size.

But I think we are getting off-topic now...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-Oct-2014 at 09:36.