Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bogor City,West Java,Indonesia
    Posts
    118

    Default Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    I'm trying to install opensuse(windows xp) with 40 gb free disk space. Can you tell me how to do that? I'm using desktop with 2gb ram and amd athlon x2 desktop.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    On 2014-10-03, mki <mki@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > I'm trying to install opensuse(windows xp) with 40 gb free disk space.
    > Can you tell me how to do that? I'm using desktop with 2gb ram and amd
    > athlon x2 desktop.


    OK. Much more information is required before _anyone_ can help you:

    1. Which version of openSUSE?
    2. What is current configuration of your hard drive(s)? If you can't describe it properly, expect to be asked to boot
    into a Linux shell using a bootable USB stick/DVD and be asked to output the result of `fdisk -l' (with code tags).
    3. Can you provide more information concerning your hardware (e.g. is it a 32-bit or 64-bit motherboard?)?

    My recommendation specifically for your dual boot configuration will probably end up being:

    1. Before doing anything else, backup _all_ your data onto external media (e.g. DVD/USB storage).
    2. If you want to continue to use Windows, get rid of XP because it is *_no_ _longer_* supported and therefore
    represents a security risk - unless you've decided not to connect it to the internet which I guess is not the case. If
    you can afford it buy Windows 7, or if you can stomach it buy Windows 8.
    3. Since you're going to have to install a new version of Windows anyway, you're going to have to blank the hard drive
    and so you'll have all the choices in the world of how to partition your drive. So in order give you any further advice,
    we first need to know the size of the entire drive(s).
    4. If your _unwilling_ to buy Windows 7/8, then it would be irresponsible for anyone here to recommend how to dualboot
    with Windows XP - and so the best recommendation would not be to dual boot, but to run a single OS that is currently
    supported, e.g. openSUSE 13.1 (and in your case I'm guessing subversion i586_KDE or i586_GNOME). That's easily done with
    the openSUSE DVD installer because you can simply ask it to use the entire hard drive.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bogor City,West Java,Indonesia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    1. Opensuse 13.1
    2. C hard disk with 78 GB. 38 for windows and 40 GB for opensuse.
    3. I'm using 32 bit motherboard

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bogor City,West Java,Indonesia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    I don't want to erase the windows because my fathers must use the windows such as autoCAD,ETABS, and something like that. I'm unwilling to spend money for windows 7/8.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bogor City,West Java,Indonesia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    Any idea please?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    On 2014-10-03, mki <mki@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > Any idea please?


    For a single thread, please try to reply in a single post rather than multiple posts because it makes things much harder
    to responders who are trying to help you. I've combined your posts here for your convenience, but try to make like
    easier for others!

    On 2014-10-03, mki <mki@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > I don't want to erase the windows because my fathers must use the
    > windows such as autoCAD,ETABS, and something like that. I'm unwilling to
    > spend money for windows 7/8.


    I understand. A few points:

    1. Since it's your father's computer, make sure he's backed up everything he might every need in case anything goes
    wrong. There is always a chance you may lose all the data on the computer and/or that you leave the computer completely
    unbootable (into Windows or Linux).

    2. Make sure your father is aware that Windows XP is no longer officially supported and therefore insecure. If the
    software he uses (e.g. AutoCAD) is an important part of his work, the he _MUST_ buy Windows 7/8 because his machine is
    would otherwise would not be fit for professional use.

    3. Are you 100% sure you want to install a GNU/Linux distribution? If so, why openSUSE? I only ask because it's not a
    distribution that ideal for GNU/Linux beginners. You might have a very good reason, but it would be useful to know.

    On 2014-10-03, mki <mki@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
    > 1. Opensuse 13.1
    > 2. C hard disk with 78 GB. 38 for windows and 40 GB for opensuse.
    > 3. I'm using 32 bit motherboard


    I'm afraid the information to provided to the most question (#2) means very little and doesn't make sense. The 40 GB for
    openSUSE cannot go into `C' because GNU/Linux systems cannot install (with one or two odd exceptions) onto ntfs filing
    systems. I suspect it will be a very good idea for you to try to understand partitioning properly (e.g. what's the
    difference between a primary and extended partition?) before attempting to dual boot. You might benefit from having a
    look at the following links:

    http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...s-new-to-Linux
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Basics_of...,_mount_points

    However. It's true to say that the openSUSE installer is very smart. It may ...just may... work without you having to
    understand a thing. If you download the legacy 32-bit version of openSUSE from http://software.opensuse.org/131/en and
    use Free ISO Burner onto DVD, set the BIOS to boot from DVD, and boot the openSUSE installer, it may recommend a
    partition layout that _may_ work. I haven't even mentioned things like md5 checksums, media checks, and the MBR. Ideally
    you would investigate those things before attempting the dual boot. But it's certainly possible you could end up with a
    dual boot system that functions perfectly well without studying all these things... however I cannot guarantee you will
    get away with it...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Bogor City,West Java,Indonesia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    1. I've been use ubuntu and linux mint but IMO I prefer openSUSE because I want to learn more about GNU/Linux and how its work more than just using it.
    2. My fathers knew that because He uses not genuine version of Windows.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    On 2014-10-03 17:06, mki wrote:
    >
    > 1. I've been use ubuntu and linux mint but IMO I prefer openSUSE because
    > I want to learn more about GNU/Linux and how its work more than just
    > using it.
    > 2. My fathers knew that because He uses not genuine version of Windows.


    Ok, we need some info. Boot any Linux live that you can get. If you do not have any, suggest you download this one:

    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/iso/openSUSE-13.1-Rescue-CD-i686.iso.meta4
    Using Windows, I suggest you use DownThemAll!, a Firefox plugin, to do it: http://www.downthemall.net/. Using Linux, I suggest aria2c instead.

    http://en.opensuse.org/SDBownload_help

    If your machine can boot from a usb stick, use one.

    http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Create_a_..._using_Windows
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Create_a_...using_Mac_OS_x

    If not, burn to cd.

    Then boot it.


    Finally, what wee need you do to do is, in a terminal there, do:

    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    lsblk --output NAME,KNAME,RM,SIZE,RO,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTLABEL,MOUNTPOINT,UUID,PARTUUID,MODEL,ALIGNMENT
    and paste it all here, from initial command prompt, to last command prompt, in a single mouse sweep, and please do so inside code tags (the '#' button in the forum editor).


    You can connect to internet from that live Linux. Keep the live handy, it is useful for repairs.



    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 9
    Posts
    14,582

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    Ok it is unclear what you consider free space. Free space in this context is unpartitioned space on the the hard drive. Note that Microsoft has confused everyone by naming partitions drives. ie C: refers to a partition on a drive not the drive. So when you say c drive is that the drive or the p[partition that MS has missed named c drive??

    Ok Assuming you do have 40 gig free non partitioned space and that ther is only one Windows partition ( ie there are not recovery or utiltiy partitions hidden away) the installer should just use that space. it will create a swap,root and home partition by default There may be an extended partition created depending on how many partitions are really on the drive.

    If you want more help or don't understand this you need to post the actual partitions by booting a Linux live disk and showing us the output of

    fdisk -l

    Note that is a lower case L not a one)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,320

    Default Re: Dual booting opensuse and windows xp

    First of all, Windows XP thinks it's the only OS in the world - so the easiest way to dual boot is to start with an empty first hard drive and install Windows XP there. Then install openSUSE afterwards. You may find that backing up your entire Linux installation, installing Windows XP and then reinstalling Linux, albeit longwinded, is less timeconsuming than trying to add Windows XP to an existing Linux set up unless you virtualise Windows XP rather than dual boot.

    There is no problem about using Windows XP alongside Linux for ever as long as you don't connect to the Internet - well, actually, if you do once a month, you still get MS's minimal security updates. I used Windows XP alongside Linux for several years because it had a program for which there was no Linux alternative at the time - I just used it solely for that program and nothing else - and your father can do that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •