NVIDIA Graphics Driver Extraction failed

Hi,

I have a 86x64 architecture and opensuse 13.1, I have downloaded NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 343.22, but the sh extraction command failed with this message:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-343.22.run
Verifying archive integrity… OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 343.22…Extraction failed.

Signal caught, cleaning up

How can I fix it ?

By installing the drivers the right way;
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

Ok Why not get it from the repositories??

Also are you sure that you have

1. A NVIDIA card. If so which one
  2. that the system is not an Optimus (Intel+NVIDIA GPU)
  3. you have the other things needed to actually install this way this would include the kernel source and the gcc complier
  4. you run the files as root??

Maybe just use the one click install

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

My system is:

Architecture x86-64

OS Opensuse 13.1, kernel version is 3.11
processor 4xIntel(R) Core™ i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
graphics card Intel VGA compatible controller
graphics card nVidia 3D controller

It seems to be an Optimus (Intel+NVIDIA GPU).

My trouble is with FreeCAD if I launch it, my machine gives this output:

studio@linux:/opt/FreeCAD/bin> ls
FreeCAD FreeCADCmd
studio@linux:/opt/FreeCAD/bin> FreeCAD
FreeCAD 0.15, Libs: 0.15R3793 (Git)
© Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre 2001-2011

#### ###

# # # #

## #### #### # # # #

# # # # # # # ##### #

# #### #### # # # #

# # # # # # # # ## ##

# #### #### ### # # #### ## ##

Xlib: extension “GLX” missing on display “:0”.
This system does not support OpenGL

How can I fix this ?

ok You have an optimus based graphic system Intel+NVIDIA. you can not use the regular NVIDA driver on such a system please first uninstall any NVIDA drivers you may have installed then go here and follow the instructions exactly!!!

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

This will install bumblebee and also a special version of the NVIDIA driver. this should correct your problems.

That happened to me, last year. It turned out to be because there was not enough free space in “/tmp”

How can I increase free space in /tmp ?

I have launched df -h and the output is:

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 20G 18G 315M 99% /
devtmpfs 5,9G 16K 5,9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 5,9G 88K 5,9G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5,9G 5,5M 5,9G 1% /run
tmpfs 5,9G 0 5,9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 5,9G 5,5M 5,9G 1% /var/run
tmpfs 5,9G 5,5M 5,9G 1% /var/lock
/dev/sda6 425G 24G 401G 6% /home

Well /tmp should be cleared with a reboot. If not you can clear it by booting to a live media and deleting all in /tmp

Note it is not exactly clear the /tmp it where the problem is. It maybe that you have accumulated large log files. If you have errors that you don’t attend to this can build up to take a lot of space. Unless you have installed every Linux program you run into or are using large databases 20 gig should be plenty of space (the size of root as reported)

So look in /var/log and /var/tmp and /run/log and see if you have any huge log files hanging around. Note if you do you should investigate what they ssay since it indicates a recuring problem. Use less filename.log to view since the files are usually too big to view in an editor.

I have checked and I don’t have large log files.

How can I increase space in the partition where /tmp is ?

My partitions are:

linux:/usr/local/man # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes, 1465149168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk label type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x85db5f28

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 206848 512002047 255897600 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 512002048 552962047 20480000 6 FAT16
/dev/sda4 552962048 1465145343 456091648 f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda5 552964096 561156095 4096000 6 FAT16
/dev/sda6 561158144 1465145343 451993600 6 FAT16

Well a problem is I don’t see one Linux file system listed in that list. Is there another drive? Where exactly is Linux installed?

linux is installed in sda3

cfdisk (util-linux 2.23.2)

Disk Drive: /dev/sda
                                                                           Size: 750156374016 bytes, 750.1 GB
                                                                 Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 91201

Name                         Flags                       Part Type                FS Type                                [Label]                            Size (MB)

Unusable                                                                       1,05                 *
     sda1                         Boot                         Primary                 ntfs                                   [Riservato per il]                    104,86                 *
     sda2                                                      Primary                 ntfs                                                                      262039,15                 *
     sda3                                                      Primary                 ext4                                                                       20971,52                 *
     sda5                         NC                           Logical                 swap                                                                        4195,36                 *
     sda6                         NC                           Logical                 ext4                                                                      462842,50                 *
                                                               Logical                 Free Space                                                                     1,96                 *

How can I resize it ?

Well you can’t at least not without resizing and moving other partitions. You could reduce the size of the Windows partition (sda2) then move sda3 up then resize sda3 then resize the file system on sda3.

Note the above operations are inherently dangerous and you should do a full backup before attempting them. Any mistake or problem could result in data loss. .

IMO you should first see what is taking up all the extra space on the root partition and fix that. It is a lot safer then moving partitions around.

Note there is a possible way if you have a spare drive. you could simply create a partition there and mount it as /tmp This maybe a temp fix and you can set things back. But as I said it really does not address the problem of why you don’t have enough free space on root.

I have tried to follow the instructions:

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_13.1/

But this is the output:

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_13.1/
If only one argument is used, it must be a URI pointing to a .repo file.
addrepo (ar) [options] <URI> <alias>
addrepo (ar) [options] <file.repo>

Add a repository to the system. The repository can be specified by its URI or can be read from specified .repo file (even remote).

Command options:
-r, --repo <file.repo> Just another means to specify a .repo file to read.
-t, --type <type> Type of repository (yast2, rpm-md, plaindir).
-d, --disable Add the repository as disabled.
-c, --check Probe URI.
-C, --no-check Don’t probe URI, probe later during refresh.
-n, --name <name> Specify descriptive name for the repository.
-k, --keep-packages Enable RPM files caching.
-K, --no-keep-packages Disable RPM files caching.
-g, --gpgcheck Enable GPG check for this repository.
-G, --no-gpgcheck Disable GPG check for this repository.
-f, --refresh Enable autorefresh of the repository.

How can I fix it ?

I have enlarged /root partition and the extraction works, but the following problem still remains:

My trouble is with FreeCAD if I launch it, my machine gives this output:

studio@linux:/opt/FreeCAD/bin> ls
FreeCAD FreeCADCmd
studio@linux:/opt/FreeCAD/bin> FreeCAD
FreeCAD 0.15, Libs: 0.15R3793 (Git)
© Juergen Riegel, Werner Mayer, Yorik van Havre 2001-2011

#### ###

# # # #

## #### #### # # # #

# # # # # # # ##### #

# #### #### # # # #

# # # # # # # # ## ##

# #### #### ### # # #### ## ##

This system does not support OpenGL

How can I fix this ?

Please read the instructions and follow EXACTLY

I suspect you missed a space somewhere

Best to copy and paste

Name of the Repo is missing:

zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_13.1/ Bumblebee

Your first attempt to install the nvidia driver replaced some files needed by the Intel card, reinstall the package xorg-x11-server and it should work again.

You are right:

it missed bumblebee at the end of the URL.

Then I have followed exactly the instruction, but after having installed nvidia-bumblebee and nvidia-bumblebee-32bit, after rebooting the system, the GPU crashed and I have to reinstall the NVIDIA driver manually from terminal.

I have checked bumblebee opening a terminal and typing:

studio@linux:~> optirun --status
312.116694] [ERROR]You’ve no permission to communicate with the Bumblebee daemon. Try adding yourself to the ‘bumblebee’ group
312.116727] [ERROR]Could not connect to bumblebee daemon - is it running?

So bumblebee is not running.

How can I fix it ?

You must NOT have the regular driver installed it will NOT work with your system unless you turn off the Intel GPU. Some BIOS can do it some can’t.

If you install bumblebee you must have no trace of the normal NVIDIA driver in the system it will mess up the Intel. Only use the bumblebee version of the NVIDIA driver

Completely uninstall all NVIDIA packages. There are 5 normally installed.

You can log into a terminal as root and run yast to remove the NVIDIA drivers.

[QUOTE=gogalthorp;2668602]You must NOT have the regular driver installed it will NOT work with your system unless you turn off the Intel GPU. Some BIOS can do it some can’t.

If you install bumblebee you must have no trace of the normal NVIDIA driver in the system it will mess up the Intel. Only use the bumblebee version of the NVIDIA driver

Completely uninstall all NVIDIA packages. There are 5 normally installed.

You can log into a terminal as root and run yast to remove the NVIDIA drivers./QUOTE

How can I see the NVIDIA drivers installed and remove them ?