Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Printing trouble - 13.2 beta1 KDE 32-bit

Default Re: Printing trouble - 13.2 beta1 KDE 32-bit

My laptop (factory 32 bits version) is also printing ok now! I guess i will change my main PC to Factory also.

Thanks all.

Default Re: Printing trouble - 13.2 beta1 KDE 32-bit

You do understand the concept of Beta software. ie things may be and probably are broken it is up to the beta testers (you) to report any problems uncovered. Looks like this one got fixed, but I know there are more. You should not be running a production system (even a desktop you rely on) on beta software. If you do be sure tobe very dilegent in backing up important data.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Printing trouble - 13.2 beta1 KDE 32-bit; fix available

Quote Originally Posted by crmrhm View Post
    Ever optimistic, I checked the repository about noon PDT today 29 Sep, and many of the packages had updates available. I installed those and, lo and behold, printing now works correctly. The test pages from both HP Device Manager and YaST Printer Configuration were good, as were prints of a PDF file and a LibreOffice Writer document.

Let's hope these latest packages make it into 13.2 soon.
    Thats great news - but I am concerned that if one can't locate a supporting bug report, then these packages may not make it in to 13.2.

Looking through bugzilla, I did note one bug on printing in openSUSE-13.2 where they noted there was a fix in factory and that fix would be applied to openSUSE-13.2. But I have no idea if that might mean the fix you tried , or a different one is to be applied.

IMHO, the safest course, dependent on how bad you want this fix in openSUSE-13.2, is to write a bug report. In the bug report one can describe the failure, and note also the factory version(s) of packages that fixed the problem. That will give the SuSE-GmbH packagers a good indication of the need for that factory update to make it into 13.2. By also identifying the packages that fixed the problem, the packagers will be able to close the bug report fairly quickly and not waste much time on it.

Good luck, and I'm most happy to read that you have made progress here.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    That's great news - but I am concerned that if one can't locate a supporting bug report, then these packages may not make it in to 13.2.
    IMHO, the safest course, dependent on how bad you want this fix in openSUSE-13.2, is to write a bug report.
    Bug report is at http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=899405

Bugzilla format certainly has changed since my last visit, as you mentioned in https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...57#post2666457

Regards,
    Howard

Blog Entries

Bug report is at http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=899405

Bugzilla format certainly has changed since my last visit, as you mentioned in https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...57#post2666457
    Many thanks. That is an educational bug report with response. I am not sure what that bodes for openSUSE-13.2, as upstream bug reports can be slow sometimes to have addressed. Hopefully the factory version that works for you (possibly with a SuSE-GmbH patch ?? ) will be continued until the upstream problem in hplip is addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Many thanks. That is an educational bug report with response. I am not sure what that bodes for openSUSE-13.2, as upstream bug reports can be slow sometimes to have addressed. Hopefully the factory version that works for you (possibly with a SuSE-GmbH patch ?? ) will be continued until the upstream problem in hplip is addressed.
    I installed openSUSE-Factory-DVD-i586-Snapshot20141001-Media.iso, and it still gives the four-sheet test page. Switching to the Factory Printing repository fixed it, after rebooting.
    Regards,
    Howard

It is reproducible, and there is now a fix available in the Printing repository.

I did a fresh installation as described by oldcpu in https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...74#post2666874 above.
    The hplip set up selected driver /usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hplip/hp-laserjet_pro_mfp_m127fn-hpijs.ppd.gz
    Using that to print a test page gave no result. The working 13.1 installations use driver hp-laserjet_pro_mfp_m127fn-hpcups.ppd.gz so I changed to that and got the four-sheet test page.

I added the repository at http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...nSUSE_Factory/ and switched all 20 installed packages to it. That was about 9 PM San Francisco time, 28 Sep 2014. There was no change in printing behavior - still a four-sheet test page.

Ever optimistic, I checked the repository about noon PDT today 29 Sep, and many of the packages had updates available. I installed those and, lo and behold, printing now works correctly. The test pages from both HP Device Manager and YaST Printer Configuration were good, as were prints of a PDF file and a LibreOffice Writer document.

Let's hope these latest packages make it into 13.2 soon.

Regards,
    Howard
    This was exactly my issue with my 13.2RC1 machine that I updated to 13.2 release.

hpcups driver picked by HPLIP: pages split into four (one-fourth up, maybe?).
    hpijs driver selected manually after setup: prints as expected.
    --Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12