Thread: Convert LVM root to RAID1 - stop booting

Default Convert LVM root to RAID1 - stop booting

Hi,

OpenSuse 12.3

I've read somewhere there's no problem in use LVM RAID at system/root LVM , since the /boot keeps out of this LVM .
    So , I added new disk at my VM and convert the LV root to type RAID1 , but now after restart it's doesn't boot anymore.
    Give error :
    Code:
    FATAL : Module dm_raid not found
    and as consequence :
    Code:
    Can't process LV root : raid1 target support missing from kernel ?
    How I workaround this ?
    I tried at grub boot , edit the options and added :
    Code:
    insmod lvm
    insmod mdraid1x
    insmod raid5rec
    But not help...

So any hope ?

Thank's
    Cesar

Default Re: Convert LVM root to RAID1 - stop booting

You need to recreate initrd so it includes necessary kernel modules. It has nothing to do with grub. Boot any live distro/rescue disk, and do approximately
    Code:
    mount /dev/path--to-your-root /mnt
    mount /dev/path-to-boot /mnt/boot
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    chroot /mnt
    mkinitrd

Cool [SOLVED] Re: Convert LVM root to RAID1 - stop booting

Thank's !!! work perfectly !!! (*2)

Just a note , as information for who is trying to use the root FS as LVM RAID5 . The GRUB2 doesn't work with LVM RAID5 , at other server where I'm installed a fresh 13.1 version and where I've configured previously the LV as RAID5 (with rescue disk) , during the install (*1) the GRUB2 not able to install, needs change to GRUB , then works fine.

(*1) to OpenSuse 13.1 installer recognize LVM RAID5 , needs to abort the installer at the first screen, then you will be redirected to a CUI/TEXT menu where need enter into Expert menu and load the dm-raid module. Then start again the installer (thru the same menu).

(*2) this install is old and I become upgrading the distribution, so, the bootloader is GRUB , not GRUB2 ... I don't know if GRUB2 works with LVM RAID1

Default Re: [SOLVED] Re: Convert LVM root to RAID1 - stop booting

Quote Originally Posted by ceinma View Post
    The GRUB2 doesn't work with LVM RAID5
    This would be a bug. If you have evidence, please open bug report. But I suspect what you actually mean is "yast does not allow you to install bootloader on LVM" which is something different.
    I don't know if GRUB2 works with LVM RAID1
    It works with LVM "mirror" but currently not with LVM "raid1". Patch was recently posted to add support for raid1; if you think it would be desirable, open bug report.