Thread: Unable to start OpenSUSE live

Default Unable to start OpenSUSE live

Hello,

I'm having issues running OpenSUSE Live on my built desktop which is UEFI, I ran Live on my old MacBook and the GUI loaded but the mouse was lagging and annoying so I'm assuming the disc itself is fine.

When I try running live on my desktop I don't get anywhere.

Running Live from CD it looks like it's going to load but then halts with "Neavu Lu" error lines (I'm assuming are errors) on the screen and stops.
    Running Live from CD UEFI it looks a bunch of errors but I'm not sure because it looks like the screen is corrupted or it's loading so much stuff the screen can't catch up.

-OpenSUSE 13.1 GNOME

I'm new to linux, I have used Ubuntu in the past but decided to use OpenSUSE instead.

Default Re: Unable to start OpenSUSE live

What video card do you have? Looks like the neaveau (default NVIDIA OS diver) driver does not like the card

At the boot try press e then find line starting with linux (note it is long and wraps) go to true end of line enter a space then nomodeset press F10 to continue boot. This will force the load of a more generic driver. If you do a full install you will want to install the NVIDIA driver. If you have a NIVIDIA card????

BTW KDE is a bit better when full blown graphics is not present (ie driver failed to load) Gnome wants all the graphic power you can give it

Thank you.

I have Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti.

I haven't tried your suggestion yet, should I use KDE instead of GNOME because of my graphics card?
    Also on your suggestion should I boot the CD normally or using UEFI?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mlovelady View Post
    I have Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti.
    Assuming that you go with UEFI (the best choice in my opinion), when you see the boot screen on the live media you should hit the 'e' key. That allows you to edit the boot command.

Now scroll down for a line beginning "linux" (or, probably, "linuxefi"). Hit the END key to get to the end of the line. Then add " nomodeset" to the end of the line. Then press the key to continue booting (there will be a message on the bottom of the screen saying which key).

That should get you an install screen. The graphics won't look good. But you can install the "nvidia" drivers later to get quality graphics.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Well gnome won't work as well as KDE with the generic drivers that you force with nomodeset. But neither will be that great until you install the NVIDIA propritary driver.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

Note you can install it in the live but it will not persist for DVD If you use USB you can make it persistent.

Thank you both, you're awesome! I was able to load it in UEFI but now I see what you mean about the graphics being bad lol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mlovelady View Post
    Thank you both, you're awesome! I was able to load it in UEFI but now I see what you mean about the graphics being bad lol.
    Once you install nvidia drivers, graphics will be pretty good.

If you are not sure how, check this page: SDB:NVIDIA drivers
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);