can't install zlib/libz

Hello,

I’m on opensuse 13.1, and I’m in the process of installing openssh.

But, when I run the opensuse “configure” , I get:

checking…
configure: error: *** zlib missing - please install first ***

So, I tried to install zlib, but I get :

>rpm -i zlib-1.2.5_git201105272030-20.1.4.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
zlib < 1.2.8-3.1.2 is obsoleted by (installed) libz1-1.2.8-3.1.2.x86_64

I tried to find the libz command , but no luck.
I did see the libz.so files in /lib64 , but I can’t find the rpm that it seems to say is already installed.
How does one install zlib ?

Thanks

You need zlib-devel

First of all, openssh is included with openSUSE, second of all you don’t install packages directly with RPM unless absolutely necessary but instead use the package manager;

zypper in openssh
systemctl enable sshd
systemctl start sshd

Will start and enable the ssh daemon. Which is installed by default on any normal system, merely not enabled or started by default.

thanks. I think that worked - I now see the openssh process.

For future reference, you can find applications to install by using;

zypper se something
Where you replace something with the name of the application you wish to find or part of the name.

zypper se -d something
Will search for something and includes the description instead of just searching for the filename.

zypper in something
Will install something and all dependencies that it needs.

Remember if you need to access the service from the outside, you need to open port 22 in the firewall. With that in mind, remember to have a strong password and prevent root login from the outside.

awesome. thanks for the bonus info.

you can find applications to install by using;

zypper se something
Where you replace something with the name of the application you wish to find or part of the name.

zypper se -d something
Will search for something and includes the description instead of just searching for the filename.

zypper in something
Will install something and all dependencies that it needs.

Remember if you need to access the service from the outside, you need to open port 22 in the firewall. With that in mind, remember to have a strong password and prevent root login from the outside.
GIS companies in India
GIS company in India
GIS companies in Ghaziabad