digikam 4.3.0

Running opensuse_64 13.1 bottle, KDE4.14.1.
I did a weekly zypper on my main desktop and my laptop yesterday. Somehow digikam 4.3.0(build date 17 September) have been corrupted and crash one time after another. I started up a VM openSUSE factory who has digikam 4.2.0 and it works like a charm against the same network share.

Anybody else experience this?

regards

Same for me.

I managed to reduce the number of crashes by turning off the feature “show images from subfolders” (that’s not the original wording, but my back-translation from the language my system is configured to use). This way, there are less thumbnails to be shown at a time, and sometimes (especially when selecting a folder containing not too many images) I am able to use digikam for up to three or four minutes before it crashes.

I am a bit disappointed because the end-user software is so buggy and unstable, and because OpenSUSE updates occasionally break things. I never had these problems with Ubuntu - either they are lucky, or they must be thoroughly testing packages before releasing them…

???
I hope you do realize that there never was an official openSUSE update to digikam 4.3.0.
The current version in the update repo for 13.1 is 3.5.0.

You are using inofficial 3rd party repos, so don’t complain about openSUSE’s updates breaking things and openSUSE being so buggy and unstable.

That said, some more information might help.
Like running digikam in a terminal window and posting the last lines of output when it crashes.
Or at least describing in more details what you do that makes it crash. I just tried and cannot reproduce a crash here…

Then maybe filing a bug report at KDE would be a good idea (including a backtrace).
The developers could then investigate the crash and fix it.

And if you want to have a stable version, switch back to 3.5.0 from the update repo.

I am also running 13.1 with KDE 4.14.1
I have the KDE Core and Core Extras repos enabled. I suspect that your Digikam 4.3.0 is installed from Core Extras.

When 4.3.0 was first released, there were numerous issues due to a libKexiv2 patch that need to be installed.
That “seemed” to affect some folks who manage videos as well as images, did not affect me.

Since you mention that your managed assets (images, videos) are on a network share, then I presume you run Digikam with mysql.
I do not, so you may need to dig into that aspect.
Starting Digiikam from the CLI is always a good way to get extra information and messages.
I’ll also observe that Digikam upgrades frequently modify the database schemas as new features are added, and many folks have issues going 'backwards" once a schema has been modified by the upgrade (e.g. 4.3.0 back to 4.0.0).

I suggest you subscribe to the Digikam mailing list via https://www.digikam.org/support where these issues get discussed and identified, if not fixed. Almost always, the fixes require a local compile (by you) or a wait for the correction to propagate thru the packaging process.

There you will see how difficult it is for the DK developers to manage the update complexity across the various Linus distros, as well as Win and OSX.
IMHO, the openSUSE packagers for Digikam do an excellent job keeping up with the rapidly evolving Digikam application for those of us who want to stay bleeding edge with this application. If you prefer stability, keep an eye on the mailing list for initial issues to subside before upgrading your version.

My Digikam is version 4.3.0-19.2 from the KDE Core Extras Repo, has been stable for a couple days now.
Also, open Digikam and look in Help - Component Information.
This seems the best way to navigate the ‘version’ discussions, where the issues almost always reside.
Version numbering gets somewhat muddled in the packaging and build process.
Compare what you have installed to this list, which for me is currently working well.

digiKam version 4.3.0
CPU cores: 4
Demosaic GPL2 pack support: Unknown
Demosaic GPL3 pack support: Unknown
Exiv2 can write to Jp2: Yes
Exiv2 can write to Jpeg: Yes
Exiv2 can write to Pgf: Yes
Exiv2 can write to Png: Yes
Exiv2 can write to Tiff: Yes
Exiv2 supports XMP metadata: Yes
LibCImg: 130
LibEigen: 3.2.0
LibExiv2: 0.23
LibJPEG: 80
LibJasper: 1.900.1
LibKDE: 4.14.1
LibKExiv2: 2.3.1
LibKGeoMap: 2.0.0
LibKdcraw: 2.4.2
LibLCMS: 119
LibLensFun: 0.2.8-0
LibPGF: 6.12.24 - external shared library
LibPNG: 1.6.6
LibQt: 4.8.5
LibRaw: 0.15.4
LibTIFF: LIBTIFF, Version 4.0.3 Copyright (c) 1988-1996 Sam Leffler Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
Marble Widget: 0.19.0 (stable release)
Parallelized PGF codec: No
Parallelized demosaicing: Unknown
RawSpeed codec support: Unknown
Database backend: QSQLITE
Kdepimlibs support: Yes
Kipi-Plugins: 4.3.0
LibGphoto2: 2.5.2.1
LibKface: 3.4.0
LibKipi: 2.1.0
LibOpenCV: 2.4.9

According to digikam SQLite is used for the data base. Installed version is:
4.3.0-19.2 from vendor obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE

Tested version:
4.3.0-19.1 from KDE:Extra with priority 99 and vendor obs://build.opensuse.org/KDE -with no luck. The same problem.

But I can see some pattern, directly when try to click the directorys below(a lot of directorys work a-ok) in digikam:

digikam
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'ConnectionTest' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
digikam(2637)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Norsbo/3 HÃSTTÃVLING.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2637)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata using Exiv2   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Norsbo/3 HÃSTTÃVLING.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
KCrash: Application 'digikam' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/jodot/.kde4/socket-jodotpc/kdeinit4__0
digikam(2637)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Norsbo/3 HÃSTTÃVLING.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2637)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata using Exiv2   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Norsbo/3 HÃSTTÃVLING.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
Unable to start Dr. Konqi
[1]+  Exit 253  

digikam
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'ConnectionTest' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
digikam(2720)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/jodot/vol2/My Pictures/England 2002-10/MOV01235.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2720)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata using Exiv2   (Error # 11 :  /home/jodot/vol2/My Pictures/England 2002-10/MOV01235.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 10 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 13 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 16 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 61 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 64 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 62 and type 'Read', disabling...
digikam: Fatal IO error: client killed

digikam
digikam(3488)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/unsorted1/MOV01980.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(3488)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata using Exiv2   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/unsorted1/MOV01980.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 

[1]+  Stopped                 digikam
jodot@jodotpc:~> QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 14 and type 'Read', disabling...
^C
[1]+  Exit 253                digikam

digikam
digikam(2805)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Saudi Arabia/Riyadh3/MOV01400.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(2805)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata using Exiv2   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Saudi Arabia/Riyadh3/MOV01400.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 

The above directorys work a-ok in 13.2_64 KDE Factory and Digikam 4.2.0 (tested today again).

I will wait some more days before try again.

How it look like when I only test some directorys and not let digikam to crash but close it “normal”:

digikam
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
digikam(4036) KWidgetItemDelegateEventListener::eventFilter: User of KWidgetItemDelegate should not delete widgets created by createItemWidgets! 
digikam(4036) KWidgetItemDelegateEventListener::eventFilter: User of KWidgetItemDelegate should not delete widgets created by createItemWidgets! 

regards

This problem is probably KDE bug 339144
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=339144

The noted bug 339144 is a potential source of trouble.
The updated library will be libkexiv2 2.3.2

As you can see, my current install still runs OK with version 2.3.1

I think the issue is dependent on how much metadata manipulation you have stored.

Database:
Older Digikams required mysql (or equiv) when running with network file systems.
More recent versions are partially operational when sqlite is used, but see the FAQ item here:
https://www.digikam.org/node/219

Appears there are still some issues. Some suggested fixes are found in that reference.

I noticed that apper had some updates today, among them DigiKam to 4.3.0-20.1. Runned a zypper dup, booted but it was still the same problem and crashed trying to open the same directories.

Deleted digikam 4.3.0 in YaST2 and then went to http://download.opensuse.org/factory-snapshot/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/ and downloaded digikam-4.2.0-2.1.2.x86_64.rpm and install it. Digikam still complaining about the same files/directories but do not crash any longer. So I’m pleased for the moment. I have locked digikam 4.2.0 in YaST2/software manager.

digikam
digikam(3063)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Saudi Arabia/Riyadh3/MOV01400.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(3063)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Saudi Arabia/Riyadh3/MOV01400.MPG" 
digikam(3063)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Saudi Arabia/Riyadh3/MOV01400.MPG" 
digikam(3063)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/jodot/vol2/My Pictures/Saudi Arabia/Riyadh3/MOV01408.MPG: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(3063)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Saudi Arabia/Riyadh3/MOV01408.MPG" 
digikam(3063)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Saudi Arabia/Riyadh3/MOV01408.MPG" 
digikam(3063)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Norsbo/3 HÃSTTÃVLING.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(3063)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Norsbo/3 HÄSTTÄVLING.jpg" 
digikam(3063)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/j*****/vol2/My Pictures/Norsbo/3 HÄSTTÄVLING.jpg" 
digikam(3063)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Norsbo/3 HÃSTTÃVLING.jpg: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(3063)/KEXIV2: Cannot load metadata from file   (Error # 11 :  /home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Gamla Berget 2010/Gamla Berget 2010-2/MVI_0016.MOV: The file contains data of an unknown image type 
digikam(3063)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::createThumbnail: Cannot create thumbnail for  "/home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Gamla Berget 2010/Gamla Berget 2010-2/MVI_0016.MOV" 
digikam(3063)/digikam (core) Digikam::ThumbnailCreator::load: Thumbnail is null for  "/home/*****/vol2/My Pictures/Gamla Berget 2010/Gamla Berget 2010-2/MVI_0016.MOV" 

regards

Good news!
The fixes from the mentioned bug report have been added to digikam in KDE:Extra right now:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/rdiff/KDE:Extra/digikam?linkrev=base&rev=21

So if you’re lucky, your problems might be fixed with the next update…

Installed Digikam 4.3.0-24.1 (via zypper) on Thursday on 2 PC’s, -works like a charm and I cant any see any messages about problems when start from a konsole(terminal). Subjective I feel that it is slower when starting up (init database->network drive).

Another thing that has been touched before and in this tread, -I have a NFS share on my server contains my pictures mounted as a local directory in my PC’s. Setting up Digikam I point out the local directory as a source for the pictures, means that Digikam read the local directory and openSUSE takes care of the communication with the network share. Or?

Is this still considered as a network drive in Digikam? Why I asking? Could be good to know next time I’m post :wink: .

regards

Similar success reported on the Digikam mailing list when installed Digikam 4.3.0-24.1.

Have a look at Settings-Configure-digikam

• Under Collections Tab, It lists network files systems that are supported (which does include NFS) as well as a Removable Media category.
  • Under Database Tab, it explicitly states that SQLite DB must be on a local drive, and mySQL servers locally or remote supported as well.

I assume you have a separate SQLite DB on each machine that accesses to NFS server?

• I believe that works, as long as you choose options to write metadata changes back to the image files, and not just to the database. It is unclear to me how sidecar metadata files would work with this arrangement; I don’t use them.
  • Seems multiple clients simultaneously trying to access the Collections could be an issue (file locks, etc)

Slow startup (again somewhat of a guess)

• By default, digikam scans the collections for new files on start-up, comparing (I assume) to what the database has record of. This would keep your multiple clients synched, but does take time and happens at LAN speed, not local HDD speed.
  • It is possible to change the default scan on startup, but I can’t seem to find the how-to-do-it. There was an option under Settings-Configure-Digikam-Miscellaneous to turn on/off the scan at startup.
  • When opening Tools-Maintenance, I see that the Scan for new items is checked, perhaps unchecking this turns off the auto scan on start-up now. This is a way to launch a manual rescan as well

On further look, it would appear that the disable scan on startup option was removed a while ago.
The embedded documentation (KDE help) is out of date.

See THREAD

Ohh… I will state for my self that I looking for information how Digikam works on local/network. All informations is welcome. I deleted the database connected for my local directory today (connected to my server) and instead ask Digikam to use my network share. It took 28min (25200 files, 52,6GB, -29min). One minut shorther than local directory. On the other hand…

top - 11:41:30 up 1 day, 46 min,  3 users,  load average: 1.16, 2.06, 2.36
Tasks: 210 total,   4 running, 206 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 23.7 us,  3.7 sy,  0.0 ni, 72.1 id,  0.5 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:   3533500 total,  1833324 used,  1700176 free,     9236 buffers
KiB Swap:  2095100 total,   770612 used,  1324488 free,   462156 cached

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND    
 1656 jodot     20   0 2329392  15032    908 R 100.3 0.425  89:29.73 akonadise+ 
 1942 jodot     20   0 2278972 477896  23492 S 4.981 13.52  30:32.97 firefox    
  861 root      20   0  498328 219016 169952 S 1.328 6.198  15:27.96 Xorg       
 8103 jodot     20   0  529048  14544   8040 S 1.328 0.412   0:04.11 konsole    
 1639 jodot     20   0 3161760 103388  36364 S 0.664 2.926   6:40.68 kwin 

“akonadise+”, was occupy my PC for 1,5 hours after Digikam said it was done.

I’m learning :slight_smile:

regards

That’s “akonadiserver”, i.e. Akonadi, KDE’s PIM storage framework.
It was probably synchronizing things.

Totally unrelated to digikam though.

Hi wolfie323! Thank for info on updates.

I switch of Akonadi service/server several mount ago in 13.1. Took to much power locally when I store my data on my server in the basement. On the other hand I started up Kmail/Thunderbird and have local copies of the mail on my PC’s some weeks ago. Yes it takes a lot of juice to sync. I havent change anything else and what I can find out today Digikam was causing a lot of activity. Oh no! My PC’s are not standard 13.1 environments running.

regards

You cannot really “switch off” Akonadi.
It is started automatically whenever an application requests it.

So e.g. if you start KOrganizer or KMail (and since 4.13 also knotes), you start akonadiserver.
If you don’t want to have it running, don’t use any KDEPIM applications.
Make sure “Show events” is turned off in the digital clock in the panel (this shows all calendar events and needs Akonadi), and that you do not have the “KOrganizer Reminder Module” (korgac) running (which is autostarted on login, and the icon is hidden in the system tray).

It is possible to uninstall akonadi if you really want to get rid of it, but then you have to uninstall kdepim (and all included applications) as well.

Yupp as I wrote, -kmail got me drag in again Akonadi - KDE UserBase Wiki but I live without the service for some time yes:P.

-mail if you aren’t able to read some emails and see a message with " please wait … ", you may logout and login KDE session to reinitialize all processes, might help.

Show a shortcoming that I have here.

Best regards

Not sure what you mean with that.
But even if you use kmail, akonadi should not start again on the next login (unless you start kmail again of course).
You can quit akonadi e.g. by running this in a terminal window:

akonadictl stop

But that’s explained on the page you mention anyway.

-mail if you aren’t able to read some emails and see a message with " please wait … ", you may logout and login KDE session to reinitialize all processes, might help.

Just restarting Akonadi should help as well:

akonadictl restart
Not sure what you mean with that.

As I have write in post/treads before in the forum.

regards

Sorry for the late reply (I wasn’t online at the forum for some time).

The reason why I upgraded to 4.3.0 was because the 13.1’s official 3.5.0 was unstable and kept crashing for me (it was not only crashing but eating up all the memory; had to “ulimit” it to keep the computer from getting unresponsive). Of course I went the official way, and the Digikam people confirmed the bug and told me about 3.5.0 being out-of-date, with “my” bug being fixed in 4.x sqq. They instructed me to upgrade to a more [rd]ecent version, which I did. So, no, sticking to the the distribution’s official version would not have been a solution. :wink: Exactly that was what was making me unhappy: no official bugfix in the distribution for some ten months after the Digikam developers had fixed the bug in their official releases.

BTW, the problem has dissolved in the meantime, because the digikam version delivered with 13.2 is up-to-date.