Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Application on LAMP Stack

Default Installing Application on LAMP Stack

As usual I am out of my depth and seek some guidance please.

Running openSUSE 13.1 64 bit with KDE desktop I am trying to install OrangeHRM an HR management package which runs on LAMP stack.

For the LAMP stack the recommended package is XAMPP which I have been able to install without difficulty and get servers running.

The OrangeHRM installation instructions then suggest I use their web based installer but I fall at second fence with a permissions issue.

Before I go into details there is one instruction right at the start which I do not understand. (Cut and paste from the instructions is not working so I cannot copy.) The instruction states that at the start I must change the ownership of the OrangeHRM files to "nobody.nobody" I have done this (chown -R nobody:nobody) and checked this has indeed changed ownership, but how is this then used? Does "nobody" have a special significance. Should I have nobody as a user? All beyond me at present. Can somebody please advise.
    Budgie2

Default Re: Installing Application on LAMP Stack

You should not use XAMPP on openSUSE (or any Linux distribution at all if you ask me); you should have installed the LAMP pattern via YAST / zypper.

If you use xampp you are effectively left with an unmanaged mess that doesn't get integrated with the rest of the OS properly.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    You should not use XAMPP on openSUSE (or any Linux distribution at all if you ask me); you should have installed the LAMP pattern via YAST / zypper.

If you use xampp you are effectively left with an unmanaged mess that doesn't get integrated with the rest of the OS properly.
    Hi Miuku,
    Many thanks for the warning. I would be much happier with repo version. I hadn't thought to look because the OrangeHRM instructions were clear and I didn't trust myself to put together all the components.
    Will start over.
    Thanks again,
    Budgie2

On 2014-09-17 00:36, Budgie2 wrote:
    > must change the ownership of the OrangeHRM files to "nobody.nobody" I
    > have done this (chown -R nobody:nobody) and checked this has indeed
    > changed ownership, but how is this then used? Does "nobody" have a
    > special significance. Should I have nobody as a user?

You do:

Code:
    Telcontar:~ # grep nobody /etc/passwd
    nobody:x:65534:65533:nobody:/var/lib/nobody:/bin/bash
    Telcontar:~ #

If the user did not exist, the chown command would have said so.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

[QUOTE=robin_listas;2664889]On 2014-09-17 00:36, Budgie2 wrote:
    > must change the ownership of the OrangeHRM files to "nobody.nobody" I
    > have done this (chown -R nobody:nobody) and checked this has indeed
    > changed ownership, but how is this then used? Does "nobody" have a
    > special significance. Should I have nobody as a user?

You do:

Code:
    Telcontar:~ # grep nobody /etc/passwd
    nobody:x:65534:65533:nobody:/var/lib/nobody:/bin/bash
    Telcontar:~ #
    Hi Carlos and thanks. OK so there is a user "nobody." Still not sure how it is used. Will get back to it as I am still sorting out LAMP stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post

Hi Miuku,
    OK I have un-installed XAMPP and then installed LAMP pattern using YAST. My trouble now is that the installation instructions for OrangeHRM refer to a directory (/opt/xampp/htdocs) which does not exist so I guess their installer may not work. Meanwhile where should I put the OrangeHRM download file before I unzip it? Do you have time to help further?
    Regards,
    Budgie2

On 2014-09-17 01:16, Budgie2 wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2664889 Wrote:

> Hi Carlos and thanks. OK so there is a user "nobody." Still not sure
    > how it is used. Will get back to it as I am still sorting out LAMP
    > stack.

Regarding LAMP, I don't know. That "nobody" user is a convention. A
    process running as that user, for example, can only access directories
    and files that are accessibly by "others".

Linux permissions are defined for the owner, the group, and "others". If
    you are neither the owner, or belong to that group, then only the
    "other" set of permissions apply to you.

Well, the "nobody" user belongs to no group, and no user belongs to the
    "nobody" group. So a process running as that user can not access
    anything, unless that thing is set as accessible to everybody...

For instance, the process that updates the "locate" database, runs at
    that user. It searches the entire filesystem for filenames and stores
    them - but if you have a file or directory as "-rw-r-----", it can not
    see it.

Hope that explains the purpose of "nobody" :-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi Miuku,
    OK I have un-installed XAMPP and then installed LAMP pattern using YAST. My trouble now is that the installation instructions for OrangeHRM refer to a directory (/opt/xampp/htdocs) which does not exist so I guess their installer may not work. Meanwhile where should I put the OrangeHRM download file before I unzip it? Do you have time to help further?
    You don't actually even have to change the installer path - you just need to change your Apache documentroot to point to that location (or create a virtual host .conf file to do so - which is a better idea)

Or alternatively create a symlink /opt/xampp/htdocs which points to /srv/www/htdocs :-)
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

On 2014-09-17 08:46, Miuku wrote:
    > Or alternatively create a symlink /opt/xampp/htdocs which points to
    > /srv/www/htdocs :-)

Symlinks do not work with Apache - unless you change some setting. They
    don't on my system, at least. Default security setting somewhere.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    As usual I am out of my depth and seek some guidance please.

Running openSUSE 13.1 64 bit with KDE desktop I am trying to install OrangeHRM an HR management package which runs on LAMP stack.

For the LAMP stack the recommended package is XAMPP which I have been able to install without difficulty and get servers running.

The OrangeHRM installation instructions then suggest I use their web based installer but I fall at second fence with a permissions issue.

Before I go into details there is one instruction right at the start which I do not understand. (Cut and paste from the instructions is not working so I cannot copy.) The instruction states that at the start I must change the ownership of the OrangeHRM files to "nobody.nobody" I have done this (chown -R nobody:nobody) and checked this has indeed changed ownership, but how is this then used? Does "nobody" have a special significance. Should I have nobody as a user? All beyond me at present. Can somebody please advise.
    Budgie2
    First, to provide accurate advice, it's critical that you provide links to the documentation you're following and post errors verbatim. If you don't know how to copy from somewhere, describe that scenario and you can get help on that. Oftentimes, displayed errors are simply re-directed copies of what exists in your logs, so if you know where your logs are you may be able to post your information from there.

For starters, your description seems to build your solution out of order. It may work, but you can as easily run into problems at any time. In order, you should

- Install the LAMP pattern
    - Install the YAST web server applet, and configure your website(s).
    - Install XAMPP
    - Install your app modules (OrangeHRM)

Since you don't describe the file permissions modification in context, I can only speculate based on similar websites that are deployed in web frameworks (like XAMPP, but many other frameworks have similarities). Sometimes modified permissions improve security, but more often they are set to provide access where ordinarily blocked. Typically, you don't set a permission on an entire website, you are asked to set it on specific directories, typically those that hold data.

TSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast