Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Unable to Set Up HP Officejet Pro 8610

  1. #1

    Default Unable to Set Up HP Officejet Pro 8610

    I am using openSUSE 13.1 (64-bit) and the desktop environment is KDE.

    I am trying to set up an HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer. Both the printer and the PC are connected via Ethernet cables to a router.

    I should be a pretty easy job setting up an HP printer using HP Linux Imaging and Printing (HPLIP) as I have done it before with other HP printers. But the darn thing does not seem to be able to detect my Officejet Pro printer...

    My installed HPLIP version is 3.13.10-4.2. I have done some research online and, according to this site
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web..._pro_8610.html
    it would seem that I need to have HPLIP v. 3.14.4.

    So, what repository do I need to add to YaST in order to install HPLIP v. 3.14.4?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    24,119
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Unable to Set Up HP Officejet Pro 8610

    Quote Originally Posted by tb75252 View Post
    My installed HPLIP version is 3.13.10-4.2. I have done some research online and, according to this site
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web..._pro_8610.html
    it would seem that I need to have HPLIP v. 3.14.4.

    So, what repository do I need to add to YaST in order to install HPLIP v. 3.14.4?
    The Printing repo offers a newer version.

    The easiest way may be to go to
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/hplip
    then select 'Show other versions', navigate to 'Show unstable packaes' and you'll see a number of package versions available. You could use the '1-Click Install' to subscribe to the 'Printing' repo, or just try installing the package by itself. (The package manager will guide you through anything else that may be required.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: Unable to Set Up HP Officejet Pro 8610

    As an alternative to deano_ferrari's suggestion, you can download and install hplip 3.14.6 starting at http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...all/index.html. I've used that successfully with openSUSE 13.1 on numerous machines.

    Quote Originally Posted by tb75252 View Post
    But the darn thing does not seem to be able to detect my Officejet Pro printer...
    In the setup step, it has never detected our network printer on a router. I have to check the manual detection option and supply the printer's network IP address (available from the printer or router). Everything works after that.

    Howard

  4. #4

    Default Re: Unable to Set Up HP Officejet Pro 8610

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    The Printing repo offers a newer version.

    The easiest way may be to go to
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/hplip
    then select 'Show other versions', navigate to 'Show unstable packaes' and you'll see a number of package versions available. You could use the '1-Click Install' to subscribe to the 'Printing' repo, or just try installing the package by itself. (The package manager will guide you through anything else that may be required.)
    Thanks, Deano! Went with the 1-Click Install option and the printer is now set up and woking fine.

    It would appear that the Printing repository is not a trusted site as I received several warning windows while I was installing it so that I could get the new version of HPLIP...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: Unable to Set Up HP Officejet Pro 8610

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    The Printing repo offers a newer version.
    Thanks for the tip about the Printing repository. I did not know it existed. That will be a lot quicker than the hplip installer .run file from SourceForge, which does config and make before installing.
    Regards,
    Howard

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •