Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Konqueror/Rekonq on oS 13.1, bugs or missing info?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Konqueror/Rekonq on oS 13.1, bugs or missing info?

    I'm developing on the openSUSE 13.1 official release, with up to date patches, and no broken RPM dependencies. I'm building a web site with pages that I'd like to appear as close to identical as possible, across a variety of browsers and Operating Systems ( ya, right ).

    The concerns I'm expressing here are about an HTML DIV with height and width explicitly specified in pixels.

    To simplify comparison across browsers on a specific machine, for now I have the font related information specified as follows.
    Code:
    font:  normal  normal  400  14px/1em  monospace  !important ;
    The appearance of a page is as expected, on Linux using any of Chromium, Firefox, Chrome, Midori, Opera, QupZilla, SeaMonkey, or Epiphany. It's also correct on MS-Windoze using Chrome, Firefox. It's even correct using IE ( imagine that! ).

    The appearance of a page is not as expected on Linux using either of Konqueror or Rekonq.

    If I use the inspector in Rekonq, it shows that the Computed Style has honored the font-family and font-size. Despite that, there are several words more per line ( and so plenty of characters more) with Rekonq, than with the browsers that seem to actually be using the correct font-family and font-size, and the appearance with Konqueror is similar to Rekonq.

    That gives me the impression that despite what the inspector shows me, Rekonq can't be using the font-family and font-size the inspector claims it is, or the number of characters per line would be much closer to what it is with the other browsers I've listed.

    I've also noticed something odd in the inspector in Rekonq. In some cases if I specify a border of 2px and padding of 1px, the inspector will instead show me something such as a border of 0px and padding of 3px. Although in the right circumstances that's not necessarily going to disrupt the intended layout, it does seem rather unusual.

    For me, this all raises these questions:

    1. Is there some mistake I've made in the CSS font statement which I haven't caught, that somehow just happens to appear to work as I expected in all the other browsers I've listed?
    2. Is there something special/unusual that must be done for fonts after installing Konqueror or Rekonq? As it is, I've just installed the RPM's and left the installed browsers configured as they were, immediately after being installed. For example, are there separate fonts that must be installed for the *konq* browsers?
    3. Is there something special/unusual that must be done in using CSS with Konqueror or Rekonq, that isn't needed with any of the other browsers I've listed?
    4. Does this situation appear to have uncovered some sort of design-flaws/bugs in Konqueror and Rekonq?

    Any pertinent thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Konqueror/Rekonq on oS 13.1, bugs or missing info?

    Quote Originally Posted by toes View Post
    Any pertinent thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Have you tried a different font than "monospace"?
    There seem to be problems with this particular one throughout KDE, I remember a bug report for KMail that it doesn't show "monospace" properly.

    Other than that, Konqueror and rekonq do use the standard system fonts, no need to install special fonts for them.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 11-Sep-2014 at 08:06.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Konqueror/Rekonq on oS 13.1, bugs or missing info?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Have you tried a different font than "monospace"?
    There seem to be problems with this particular one throughout KDE, I remember a bug report for KMail that it doesn't show "monospace" properly.

    Other than that, Konqueror and rekonq do use the standard system fonts, no need to install special fonts for them.
    I searched for issues with Konqueror and Rekonq in Bugzilla and the forums; I must admit I hadn't thought to search for a problem with that particular generic font-family.

    Originally I had a list of font families for the browsers to choose. In the list of font families, fairly popular fonts of other types were listed first. But I still had the same sort of problem; the other browsers displayed the page as I expected it to be formatted, Konqueror and Rekonq didn't.

    Since the dev. tools in some browsers don't show which font-family they've chosen, when displaying computed styles they just parrot back the font-family specifier, I changed to a single font-family to try to get a better idea what was happening. At least if I know that Konqueror and Rekonq are tied to the system fonts and there is a problem with "monospace", that gives me a new direction to try.

    Thanks!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •