Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: SIS mirage 3 graphics card on opensuse 13.1 works only in low resolution

  1. #1

    Default SIS mirage 3 graphics card on opensuse 13.1 works only in low resolution

    on my old laptop with SIS mirage 3 graphics card I installed opensuse 11.3 insted of 13.1 (my error ), and resolution seemed quite well (it should have been 1024x768), then I installed opensuse 13.1 and resolution is the 600x800.
    how can I get better resolution ???

    many thanks, ciao, pier :-)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,002

    Default Re: SIS mirage 3 graphics card on opensuse 13.1 works only in low resolution

    If I were to make an educated guess, it has the same issue as this gentleman here had on his Intel, where the driver does not properly recognize the display; https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ong-resolution

    Try the same method, first generate a suitable modeline for your system;
    cvt 1024x768

    When you get the output, you need to do;
    xrandr --newmode "1024x768_60.00" and_put_the_output_of_the_cvt_here
    xrandr --addmode VGA1 "1024x768_60.00"
    xrandr --output VGA1 --mode "1024x768_60.00"

    You may need to change the VGA1 to suit the output of your system, just typing xrandr will list it. It may be VGA1, DVI1, LVDS.. etc. You'll have to adjust it yourself.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

    .: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

  3. #3

    Default Re: SIS mirage 3 graphics card on opensuse 13.1 works only in low resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    on my old laptop with SIS mirage 3 graphics card I installed opensuse 11.3 insted of 13.1 (my error ), and resolution seemed quite well (it should have been 1024x768), then I installed opensuse 13.1 and resolution is the 600x800.
    how can I get better resolution ???
    Well, SiS graphics chips are not really supported well any more (and they never really were supported that well either anyway).

    But this sounds that your actually not using the sis driver at all, but the generic fbdev driver.
    Please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log to clarify.

    In that case you should be able to set the resolution in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options->Console Resolution. This actually sets the boot menu's and text mode's resolution, but is used by fbdev for the graphical resolution as well.

  4. #4

    Default Re: SIS mirage 3 graphics card on opensuse 13.1 works only in low resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, SiS graphics chips are not really supported well any more (and they never really were supported that well either anyway).
    ok ..

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    But this sounds that your actually not using the sis driver at all, but the generic fbdev driver.
    Please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log to clarify.
    I pasted it here
    http://paste.opensuse.org/5744421
    I supposed yes so I tried the below solution...

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    In that case you should be able to set the resolution in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options->Console Resolution. This actually sets the boot menu's and text mode's resolution, but is used by fbdev for the graphical resolution as well.
    maaaany thanks, it worked very well

  5. #5

    Default Re: SIS mirage 3 graphics card on opensuse 13.1 works only in low resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    oI pasted it here
    http://paste.opensuse.org/5744421
    I supposed yes so I tried the below solution...
    Yes.

    You might try to add "nomodeset" to the boot options, and/or force X to use the sis driver via /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf. (although the latter one will probably make X fail to start, the driver should be the preferred one anyway if it works, according to the log)
    But I don't know whether the sis driver would support your chip or not, or whether it even still works.
    I don't really see an error in your log when it is loaded.

    You probably don't miss much anyway, except some 2d hardware acceleration, i.e. XV support. This is mainly used to scale a video's resolution (when viewing in full screen mostly, or if you resized the player window). Without it the software has to resize the images manually via the CPU, which might slow down things.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 06-Sep-2014 at 04:05.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •