Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin in super user mode

Default Dolphin in super user mode

Hello.
    From normal user, I could not start dolphin in super user mode : "Wrong password"
    But the password is correct as I can start Konsole in super user mode.
    This is a very new behavior.
    Any help is welcome
    Thanks for helping. JCD

server leap 15-- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 42.3 -- ASUS g750JZ KDE leap 42.3 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

Default Re: Dolphin in super user mode

Works as expected here.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

How did you invoke Dolphin in Super User mode?
    Did you do it from the menu or the command line like the following?
    Code:
    kdesu dolphine
    Should not matter, but might help you figure out the issue.
    Remember to type slowly and be watchful if the keyboard is switched to support an alt mode, in fact, you can verify by typing your password into kwrite and then pasting into the password prompt.

TSU

When configuring rights for "SU", instead of putting the user in the "wheel" group, I put by mistake the user in the admin group that does not exist.
    Thread is solved.

Thank you for taking times top help me.
    Thanks for helping. JCD

server leap 15-- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 42.3 -- ASUS g750JZ KDE leap 42.3 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

When you mean "su" when you write "SU", IMHO it is not needed tp configure anytthing there for kdesu and friends to function as intended. And I shouldn't know inwhich file you would like to configure something for the su program.

But as you say "it is solved" that is allright.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you mean "su" when you write "SU", IMHO it is not needed tp configure anytthing there for kdesu and friends to function as intended. And I shouldn't know inwhich file you would like to configure something for the su program.

But as you say "it is solved" that is allright.
    The file in question is : /etc/pam.d/su
    The bad line was :
    Code:
    auth     required       pam_wheel.so    group=admin
    I have removed the line
    Thanks for helping. JCD

Thanks for reporting back

Not that I understand what was wrong. Using file manager as root (or Konsole) always worked out of the box for me.

Nor do I have any use for the wheel group (I am not realy sure why it exists on openSUSE).

But as said, when you are happy, that s fine.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Thanks for reporting back

Not that I understand what was wrong. Using file manager as root (or Konsole) always worked out of the box for me.

Nor do I have any use for the wheel group (I am not realy sure why it exists on openSUSE).

But as said, when you are happy, that s fine.
    This give the possibility to restrict the use of "su" for some user only. People who knows the root password but which are not in the "wheel" group cannot becomes root. This suppose also that they cannot log directly as root.

Don't ask me too much. My knowledge is limited anyway.
    Thanks for helping. JCD

Blog Entries

Am I correct in interpreting...

The question actually was how to grant Super User permissions to a User running "ordinary" (non-Super User) Dolphin?

I've used the wheel group in the past, but not to grant such permissions to an ordinary logged in User (which is dangerous, since it elevates the ordinary User's permissions permanently). I use it mainly to allow multiple Admins and services elevated access so that I don't have to give everyone root's password (which is very bad practice).

The <proper> way for a normal User to use "Super User Dolphin" is to just select that item from the menu. The User will be prompted for root permissions and then Dolphin should run in a kdesu/sudo environment.

TSU

Well, IMHO the only real secure way to protect root permission is a strong password (and a policy to change it regularly). It should not be possible that there are users that know the root password, but are not alowed to be root.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast