Volume defaults to low level, Cannot open Settings to adjust it

Hi,
For some reason my master Volume control keeps defaulting back to 100% when I need it at 115%. I used to be able to use the Crossed tools icon shown in the bottom of the popup when you click on the speaker symbol in the upper toolbar. That no longer does anything. Little wheel spinns for a few seconds and quits. If I go to Applications/Settings that wont load either. Now I gave no access to advanced Audio functions or any other settings!?! I searched Audio and tried to get into settings that way, no good. Anyone know how I can fix my access to Settings and Advanced Audio? I tried to boot into recovery mode, but no option menu appeared, it just ran screens of commands loading up for 30 sec, then booted normally. I never tried Recovery mode on SUSE before, but did use it on BackTrack and Linux Lite so I thought it would be similar, nope!
Using OpenSUSE Gnome AMD 13.1 full install from dvd, updated as of last week. On a PacBel EasyNote TK-50, AMD Atheon II x2 F320 @ 2.10MHz, 4Gb DDR3
Thanks

[QUOTE=mannshands;2662421]Hi,
For some reason my master Volume control keeps defaulting back to 100% when I need it at 115%. I used to be able to use the Crossed tools icon shown in the bottom of the popup when you click on the speaker symbol in the upper toolbar. That no longer does anything. Little wheel spinns for a few seconds and quits. If I go to Applications/Settings that wont load either. Now I gave no access to advanced Audio functions or any other settings!?! I searched Audio and tried to get into settings that way, no good. Anyone know how I can fix my access to Settings and Advanced Audio? I tried to boot into recovery mode, but no option menu appeared, it just ran screens of commands loading up for 30 sec, then booted normally. I never tried Recovery mode on SUSE before, but did use it on BackTrack and Linux Lite so I thought it would be similar, nope!
Using OpenSUSE Gnome AMD 13.1 full install from dvd, updated as of last week. On a PacBel EasyNote TK-50, AMD Atheon II x2 F320 @ 2.10MHz, 4Gb DDR3
Thanks/QUO

This is the reason most people give up on Linux distros. Daft problems popping up out of nowhere, with no easy obvious fix(where is SUSE MrFixit?). Then there is hours of filtering thru tons of **** on the net while waiting for someone who may or may not be an expert, to reply to your forum inquiry. In this case 25+hrs with no one replying yet. This is obviously not for businesses who require reliability. More like a hobby.

You must realise that every single person on this forum is a volunteer - none of us get paid and as a consequence unfortunately we don’t have unlimited time to reply to every single issue - many of us are experts at a specific field of IT, not everyone uses Linux as a desktop either, they use it a server platform.

Sometimes we simply don’t always have an answer to every question because there are too many variables to consider and millions of possible hardware combinations, some of which are simply broken and buggy because of insufficient support by the hardware manufacturer or refusal to release specifications so that they can be supported properly and need to be reverse engineered.

As for the businesses requiring “reliability”, you should opt to buy support from SUSE directly as they offer business products that have 24/7/365 Enterprise grade services. Alternatively use KDE because then more of us can help - I simply don’t use GNOME.

Miuku,
>:)your points perfectly support my point that SUSE is not for average users who need reliable tools, good 24hr support available and simple ways to make adjustments. Linux should just quit trying to sell itself to average consumers. We cant waste so much time on searching out fixes or waiting for volunteers that evidently can not handle the traffic. I still have not had so much as an acknowledgement from the Forum mod that my question is being considered by someone. I seriously feel I wasted 2 weeks getting out the bugs only to hit these roadblock. I read somewhere Linux was stable now, with few crashes, maybe so. But it also suffers from bizarre glitches and incompatibilities requiring huge hassles searching depositories and dependencies. And endless patches, and even more updating than Windowz.
Forgive me but I’m going back to Win 7 .It works, its reliable, and its easy to find solutions to issues.
Goodbye SUSE, the world is not ready for you yet! I will use LinuxLite 2.0 on older laptops. It never displayed the odd glitches SUSE has.

It’s just fine for the normal users but you expect commercial level of support from a community distribution - that’s not how it works. Also you chose GNOME on a distribution that is geared for KDE - perhaps you should use the desktop environment that is used by majority of the users.

If you want “24/7” support, you should buy it from SUSE - exactly like you would do it from any other commercial vendor. Yes, even Microsoft.

Well I also run KDE so I can give little help on a Gnome problem But in any case both use pulse so they do have a somewhat similar audio system. So try installing paucontrol; that will give individual sound control over each app. In my case the mic in the kmix kept getting set back to 0 so I install veromix (I don’t think that works in gnome) and removed kmix completely. Don’t know if there is any such option in gnome sorry…