Thread: Audacity: libmad.so.0 missing for OpenSuse 13.1 system

Default Audacity: libmad.so.0 missing for OpenSuse 13.1 system

I am a bit of a newbie, working on newly installed 13.1 system (used 11.x before). Trying to get Audacity ( audacity-2.0.5-85.14.i586.rpm ) to work but always it won't install because of libmad.so.0 . Have tried to find other packages with that lib but obviously I am still too green. Could not find anything helpful in the help. Can anyone set me on the right path. My software management (installs) are weak.

Help!
    ak

Default Re: Audacity: libmad.so.0 missing for OpenSuse 13.1 system

Try getting it from Yast-software management

If you have not already done it add the packman repo. It will have the propritary codecs

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If you have not already done it add the packman repo. It will have the propritary codecs
    Right.
    The audacity you try to install apparently comes from Packman. Did you download it manually?
    The required libmad.so.0 is also available there (package "libmad0").

But it is easier to add the repo (you should find it in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories) and install using YaST or zypper. Then all required packages are automatically found and installed as well.

Btw, if you do not want to add the Packman repo or install restricted codecs for whatever reason, audacity is included in the standard repos as well (without support for restricted codecs like MP3 of course).

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Try getting it from Yast-software management

Many thanks for your help. I now have it working.
    ak

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Right.
    The audacity you try to install apparently comes from Packman. Did you download it manually?
    The required libmad.so.0 is also available there (package "libmad0").

But it is easier to add the repo (you should find it in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories) and install using YaST or zypper. Then all required packages are automatically found and installed as well.

Btw, if you do not want to add the Packman repo or install restricted codecs for whatever reason, audacity is included in the standard repos as well (without support for restricted codecs like MP3 of course).
    Thanks very much for providing a complete answer and good directions. I now have this working, and your help is much appreciated.
    Cheers
    ak

Quote Originally Posted by hans_downe View Post
    Thanks very much for providing a complete answer and good directions. I now have this working, and your help is much appreciated.
    Cheers
    ak
    Hello.

This is perhaps obvious, but if you wish to edit formats such as mp3, aiff etc. you should use the one from packman.
    OpenSuSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.5, 64bit
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX8350, MSI GeForce GTX 760, RME HDSP9632, 16GB HyperX Kingston DDR3, Samsung 840-Pro SSD 128GB, WD Desktop Black 1TB, Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 750GB

Quote Originally Posted by F_Sauce View Post
    This is perhaps obvious, but if you wish to edit formats such as mp3, aiff etc. you should use the one from packman.
    AIFF should actually work in the openSUSE version as well.

You're right about MP3 though, of course, and some other restricted formats like AAC.