Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Kwallet and GPG

  1. #1

    Default Kwallet and GPG

    Hi guys, I would like to use GPG encryption instaed of the Blowfish one on Kwallet. I'm using 13.1 with KDE.
    The key is correctly configured with KGpg but, differently from other distributions with KDE I've used, when making a new wallet, It doesn't ask to me if I would like to use GPG key.
    I mean like this:



    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,180
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    I am doing just that with my factory install. But it is using KDE 4.13.80 (really, a beta for KDE 4.14).

    My guess is that you will need to wait for KDE 4.14 to use GPG encryption for Kwallet.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I am doing just that with my factory install. But it is using KDE 4.13.80 (really, a beta for KDE 4.14).

    My guess is that you will need to wait for KDE 4.14 to use GPG encryption for Kwallet.
    You are right... even Manjaro got 4.13.
    Just checked even on my Factory install on the other computer.

    Do you suggest to go with factory even here, or use only the update KDE repo ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,180
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    Quote Originally Posted by vixxo View Post
    Do you suggest to go with factory even here, or use only the update KDE repo ?
    I guess that depends on how risk averse you are.

    At the moment, factory seems pretty stable. I would guess that using 13.1, but attempting to install KDE from factory, would be asking for problems.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I guess that depends on how risk averse you are.

    At the moment, factory seems pretty stable. I would guess that using 13.1, but attempting to install KDE from factory, would be asking for problems.
    No way to single-update Kwallet to have this feature ?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    Quote Originally Posted by vixxo View Post
    No way to single-update Kwallet to have this feature ?
    No.

    You have to add the KDE:Current repo to your system and upgrade the whole KDE to 4.13. (4.14 should be in there soon, as it has been released yesterday)
    See also https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repo...KDE_SC_release

    In short, add the repo and do a "full repository vendor change update": https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_c..._Vendor_change

    (and if you already use the KDE:Extra repo, you have to change its URL accordingly to avoid dependency problems)

    I'm using that repo here on 13.1, and I do get that dialog. I don't use GPG encryption myself though, so cannot tell if it actually works.

    I would rather recommend this than upgrading to Factory, especially if it's only for KWallet. The KDE:Current repo should be stable, it only contains stable/released KDE versions.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Aug-2014 at 00:48.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No.

    You have to add the KDE:Current repo to your system and upgrade the whole KDE to 4.13. (4.14 should be in there soon, as it has been released yesterday)
    See also https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repo...KDE_SC_release

    In short, add the repo and do a "full repository vendor change update": https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_c..._Vendor_change

    (and if you already use the KDE:Extra repo, you have to change its URL accordingly to avoid dependency problems)

    I'm using that repo here on 13.1, and I do get that dialog. I don't use GPG encryption myself though, so cannot tell if it actually works.

    I would rather recommend this than upgrading to Factory, especially if it's only for KWallet. The KDE:Current repo should be stable, it only contains stable/released KDE versions.
    Thank you guys!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,180
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I don't use GPG encryption myself though, so cannot tell if it actually works.
    Yes, it works -- but with limitations.

    As far as I can tell, I cannot switch back to using blowfish. And I cannot change which of my GPG keys that is to be used for the encryption. If I use the Kwallet option to change password, it tells me to use "kgpg" or "kleopatra" to change the gpg passphrase.

    Presumably, I could export the kwallet content to files, then delete the wallet, then recreate it with different encryption and then import the content. Surprisingly, if I export kwallet content to files, that goes to an unencrypted file.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  9. #9

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    As far as I can tell, I cannot switch back to using blowfish.
    Right.
    AFAICS you can only choose the method when creating a _new_ wallet.

    And I cannot change which of my GPG keys that is to be used for the encryption. If I use the Kwallet option to change password, it tells me to use "kgpg" or "kleopatra" to change the gpg passphrase.
    So it just uses your default GPG key as set in KGPG/Kleopatra I suppose.

    Surprisingly, if I export kwallet content to files, that goes to an unencrypted file.
    Well, that's the point of an "export", I would think.
    If you copy/paste keys in the wallet, they won't get stored encrypted in the clipboard either.

    Btw, I cannot find any option to export kwallet content. Is this new in 4.14?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,180
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Kwallet and GPG

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    So it just uses your default GPG key as set in KGPG/Kleopatra I suppose.
    During kwallet setup, it does allow you to select which of the existing keys to use.

    Btw, I cannot find any option to export kwallet content. Is this new in 4.14?
    While running KDE Wallet Manager:

    File --> Export as XML.

    I remember exporting wallet content back when I was running opensuse 12.3. So I don't think this is new.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •