Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

  1. #1

    Default Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    Trying to install Oracle's Java on openSUSE 13.1 (64bit) with KDE desktop and Firefox browser. I think I am losing the plot here.
    I have un-installed IcedTea-Web and then followed Oracle's Java.com site instructions for installing Java which ran OK.

    There are additional instructions for installing the plugin but here I am stuck. First I cannot find a plugin directory anywhere which is related to Firefox so I cannot edit the link referred to in to instructions. Now using Dolphin to try and find the file libnpjp2.so it is not found. I think I have searched from root down but no luck. I say think I have searched because, unfortunately, the format of Dolphin has been changed and the old search screen no longer appears.

    Could somebody put me right here please?

    Budgie2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    405

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    I believe I installed the Oracle Java plugin to Firefox by going to the .mozilla/plugins folder.

    Right clicking in the folder.
    Selecting Create New > Basic link to file or directory.
    Clicked the open file dialog button to the right of the "Enter path of file or directory" field.
    Navigated to /usr/java/default/lib/amd64/libnpjp2. and clicked OK.
    The filename was entered when I clicked OK.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by rafter22 View Post
    I believe I installed the Oracle Java plugin to Firefox by going to the .mozilla/plugins folder.

    Right clicking in the folder.
    Selecting Create New > Basic link to file or directory.
    Clicked the open file dialog button to the right of the "Enter path of file or directory" field.
    Navigated to /usr/java/default/lib/amd64/libnpjp2. and clicked OK.
    The filename was entered when I clicked OK.
    Hi and many thanks. Seems sensible but I fall at first fence as there is no .mozilla/plugins folder on my system so I have no idea where firefox looks for the file or a link. I could try creating a plugins directory and putting in the link. It might work as I believe Firefox looks in several places for the plugins.

    OTOH I do have libnpjp2.so in the same place as you. (Why in amd64 directory I wonder, this machine is Intel based?)
    What worries me why I could not use Dolphin "Find" to find the said file.

    Thanks for the reply. Will let you know how I get on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,283
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    If a plugin isn't available and if you don't mind installing the browser plugin by installing the Oracle SE JDK 7 (version 8 was released only about a month or so ago)

    - I wrote a series of simple scripts that install Oracle SE JDK 7 in less than a minute, including browser plugin (but isn't automatically enabled). I made various improvements including enabling Oracle Java to be installed side by side with openJDK on your system (original SDB doesn't do this)
    https://github.com/putztzu/openSUSE_Oracle_Java_Install

    - After installation, make sure you run the following to configure which Java you want on your system.
    Code:
    # update-alternatives --config java
    - Install the Java plugin, here are the Oracle instructions for installing the browser plugin for SE JDK 7.
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs...n-install.html

    Note that the above installs the <latest, current> version of JDK7 as of this writing which may or may not be the case for the FF plugin if it exists.

    HTH,
    TSU

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    On 2014-08-20 15:56, Budgie2 wrote:
    >
    > Trying to install Oracle's Java on openSUSE 13.1 (64bit) with KDE
    > desktop and Firefox browser. I think I am losing the plot here.
    > I have un-installed IcedTea-Web and then followed Oracle's Java.com site
    > instructions for installing Java which ran OK.


    It is quite simple, really.

    First is not remove icedtea or whatever java flavour you get as default,
    because YaST/zypper/apper/etc will not recognize the oracle java as
    valid. Applications will, but not the packagers; yast will want to
    remove applications that need java because it /thinks/ there is no java
    installed.

    Then you just install the oracle java *rpm*, and tell
    update-alternatives about it.

    (that is, you get two javas, one official, the other from oracle, and
    use "update-alternatives" which to use in fact).


    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_Java
    Section: Java Runtime Environment Install using Oracle's RPM


    Some other docs:

    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...a-for-opensuse
    https://en.opensuse.org/index.php?ti...va&oldid=62245


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    Hi Rafter22, Robin and Tsu2,
    Many thanks. I had already succeeded in getting the Oracle Java Plugin to work thanks to rafter22's suggestion as he made it possible for me to find the file and all I had to do then was create plugins directory. I had already un-installed IcedTea. I will now start over and use update-alternatives. Thanks to all for bringing this to my attention.

    Meanwhile I still have two problems:-

    First, trying to use web configuration tool on netgear switch. With the Oracle Java I now get "Application Blocked by Security Settings." Have tried making the device an exception in the Java/Javascript security settings but these present very limited options compared with Java from the dark side. Any ideas what settings I should be changing?

    Second problem, why could I not find the necessary file libnpjp2.so using the find button in Dolphin, even when starting from root directory?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    If a plugin isn't available and if you don't mind installing the browser plugin by installing the Oracle SE JDK 7 (version 8 was released only about a month or so ago)

    - I wrote a series of simple scripts that install Oracle SE JDK 7 in less than a minute, including browser plugin (but isn't automatically enabled). I made various improvements including enabling Oracle Java to be installed side by side with openJDK on your system (original SDB doesn't do this)
    https://github.com/putztzu/openSUSE_Oracle_Java_Install

    - After installation, make sure you run the following to configure which Java you want on your system.
    Code:
    # update-alternatives --config java
    - Install the Java plugin, here are the Oracle instructions for installing the browser plugin for SE JDK 7.
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs...n-install.html

    Note that the above installs the <latest, current> version of JDK7 as of this writing which may or may not be the case for the FF plugin if it exists.

    HTH,
    TSU
    Hi Tsu,
    It could be because I have been stumbling in the dark until now but I now have your scripts and want to get things right.

    The first script appears to be:-

    Code:
    ln -s -T /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/ /usr/lib64/jdk_Oracle
    I do not have /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67. I have /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67. Am I missing something here?

    Budgie2

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    405

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi and many thanks. Seems sensible but I fall at first fence as there is no .mozilla/plugins folder on my system so I have no idea where firefox looks for the file or a link. I could try creating a plugins directory and putting in the link. It might work as I believe Firefox looks in several places for the plugins.

    OTOH I do have libnpjp2.so in the same place as you. (Why in amd64 directory I wonder, this machine is Intel based?)
    What worries me why I could not use Dolphin "Find" to find the said file.

    Thanks for the reply. Will let you know how I get on.

    Sorry! I install multiple versions of Firefox for testing and the .mozilla/plugins folder is for my manually installed Beta and Nightly versions.

    For the 64-bit openSUSE build of Firefox 31.0 I have installed, the plugins are in usr/lib64/browser-plugins. That would be usr/lib/browser-plugins for the 32-bit Firefox.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,283
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi Tsu,
    It could be because I have been stumbling in the dark until now but I now have your scripts and want to get things right.

    The first script appears to be:-

    Code:
    ln -s -T /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67/ /usr/lib64/jdk_Oracle
    I do not have /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67. I have /usr/java/jre1.7.0_67. Am I missing something here?

    Budgie2
    Be sure you downloaded and installed installed the JDK RPM, not the JRE. The JDK includes the JRE plus much, much more.

    TSU

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,283
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cannot Find or Install Oracle Java Plugin for Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2014-08-20 15:56, Budgie2 wrote:
    >
    > Trying to install Oracle's Java on openSUSE 13.1 (64bit) with KDE
    > desktop and Firefox browser. I think I am losing the plot here.
    > I have un-installed IcedTea-Web and then followed Oracle's Java.com site
    > instructions for installing Java which ran OK.


    It is quite simple, really.

    First is not remove icedtea or whatever java flavour you get as default,
    because YaST/zypper/apper/etc will not recognize the oracle java as
    valid. Applications will, but not the packagers; yast will want to
    remove applications that need java because it /thinks/ there is no java
    installed.

    Then you just install the oracle java *rpm*, and tell
    update-alternatives about it.

    (that is, you get two javas, one official, the other from oracle, and
    use "update-alternatives" which to use in fact).


    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_Java
    Section: Java Runtime Environment Install using Oracle's RPM


    Some other docs:

    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...a-for-opensuse
    https://en.opensuse.org/index.php?ti...va&oldid=62245


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)
    Unless someone fixed the official SDB, it stomps all over other Java so update-alternatives won't work.
    Use my scripts to install Oracle JDK 7 side by side with openJDK and you can still switch between the two.

    Explanation is in the Discussion notes to the SDB and the main page of my scripts.

    TSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •