Thread: KDE software updater

Default KDE software updater

Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm getting slightly annoyed at having to enter the root password, twice, when asking the KDE software updater to check then install updates. I brought this on myself by choosing strict permissions (switched from easy mode) but would prefer to keep it strict.

Does anyone know how to sudo'fy that whole process before I go all Linus on myself?

OpenSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.5, kernel 3.11.10-92

Default Re: KDE software updater

Quote Originally Posted by bmccun View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm getting slightly annoyed at having to enter the root password, twice, when asking the KDE software updater to check then install updates. I brought this on myself by choosing strict permissions (switched from easy mode) but would prefer to keep it strict.
    "strict" permissions require the root password for updates via the update applet, and for refreshing the repos.
    But you don't have to switch back to "easy" for this:
    You can override specific permissions in /etc/permissions.local .
    In this particular case, add this to the file:
    Code:
    org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update yes
    org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh yes
    Or use the approptiate lines from /etc/polkit-default-permissions.standard to have the default (easy) permissions for those actions.
    The run "sudo /sbin/set_polkit_default_privs" for the change to take effect.

Does anyone know how to sudo'fy that whole process before I go all Linus on myself?
    This doesn't use "sudo", but polkit to get the privileges.
    You set the permissions to "strict", so the permissions are "strict".
    No need to complain about that.
    If you think the default strict permissions are wrong, you should report that as bug: http://bugzilla.novell.com/ (same username/password as here).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 17-Aug-2014 at 03:40.

Thank you. Merged a few entries into polkit-default-privs.local, namely:

org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-eula-accept auth_admin_keep_always:auth_admin_keep_always:yes
    org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update auth_admin_keep_always:auth_admin_keep_always:yes
    org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh auth_admin_keep_always:no:yes
    org.freedesktop.packagekit.cancel-foreign auth_admin:auth_admin:auth_admin_keep

Quote Originally Posted by bmccun View Post
    Thank you. Merged a few entries into polkit-default-privs.local, namely
    package-eula-accept sounds like a good idea, you might need the root password for flash-player updates otherwise.

But to be honest, I'm not sure what those permissions exactly are for other than the two I mentioned.
    Especially "cancel-foreign" doesn't tell me anything... And the rule you posted does require you to enter the root password for that and is actually the same as the restricted one. So you might as well _not_ add it to permissions.local.

Not all of those packagekit permissions are actually relevant for openSUSE though (I know at least the one for "system-upgrade" shouldn't have any effect at the moment, as the packagekit zypp backend doesn't support a system upgrade anyway... ).

Btw, if you get a password dialog, you can click on "Details" to see which polkit rule caused it.