Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Automatic update then, "Oh no! Something has gone wrong." message...Nvidia driver perhaps?

Default Re: Automatic update then, "Oh no! Something has gone wrong." message...Nvidia driver perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Yep I don't run Gnome.
    No, I mean you don't have that nvidia driver problem that this thread is about.
    Actually this is unrelated to GNOME. The driver packages installed nvidia's libglx to the wrong place, so it couldn't be loaded.
    This in turn breaks OpenGL/Xorg's GLX extension of course, without which GNOME does not work.

But this is fixed since Sunday.

Not that sure something have have happened with the default kernel problem But that seems to have been caused by an older kmp packages that was broken.
    Well, you didn't actually have a problem. You just had the kernel-default installed in addition to kernel-desktop.
    This in itself is no problem.

So IF what you say is true then why did the older kmp pull in the default kernel and default NVIDIA packages at the last kernel update?
    The newer kmp was installed so that is the one that should have been fixed and used, right?
    Yes.
    But again, the older one with the wrong dependency was still in the RPM database, and its dependencies were still denoted in the RPM database.
    So the system might have installed nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-default (and kernel-default as a consequence), to fulfill the missing dependency (which is only a recommends anyway) for that "already installed" package.

But again, this is just a theory. And it didn't happen here.

The only way to find out what really happened is to reproduce the "problem". But if it was like that, we cannot really reproduce it any more, because the packages are not available any more.

And I'm not certain I would not have had problem but I did catch the screwup
    Depends on whether all necessary kernel modules would have been installed for the kernel that you boot.
    Since you only _removed_ the kernel-default stuff AFAIK (and didn't install anything in addition), you should not have had any problem.

But again, even if you would have had a problem, it would be a totally, completely different issue than discussed in this thread.

In any case the NVIDIA stuff as been quirky since 13.1 came out
    Not in my experience. There have been some issues with the dependencies recently, yes, that was because the UVM kernel module is now needed for CUDA support, so it should be automatically installed as well.
    I didn't have any problem, except that the driver was not available for some weeks when 13.1 came out.

Default Re: Automatic update then, "Oh no! Something has gone wrong." message...Nvidia driver perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, you didn't actually have a problem. You just had the kernel-default installed in addition to kernel-desktop.
    This in itself is no problem.

Yes.
    But again, the older one with the wrong dependency was still in the RPM database, and its dependencies were still denoted in the RPM database.
    So the system might have installed nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-default (and kernel-default as a consequence), to fulfill the missing dependency (which is only a recommends anyway) for that "already installed" package.

But again, this is just a theory. And it didn't happen here.
    Ok, gogalthorp, please forget about this theory completely.
    This cannot be what happened on your system.

I had a look of the exact package dependencies (of the 331.79 KMP packages) now, as I have access again to that nvidia system where they are still installed in addition to the latest ones (without any problems, btw ).

Neither the nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp nor the nvidia-gfxG03-kmp packages do require _any_ kernel package (only kernel-xxx-devel, but that does not require/recommend kernel-xxx either). So they cannot pull in kernel-default, even if you would install nvidia-uvm-gfxG03-kmp-default or nvidia-gfxG03-kmp-default (just try that in YaST or with zypper and you'll see, you don't have to accept the changes)

Your "problem" with kernel-default being installed automatically therefore cannot have been caused by the nvidia packages.

Well something did lol. I really never had a problem it is just that I saw a lot of NVIDIA pain recently and thought my experience may have had some bearing. The kernel install may or may not have lead to a problem but I caught and fixed it before I rebooted. So who know for sure. If I suddenly was booting to kernel default it may have been a problem for me. But I don't know if default would have shown up as default boot or not. In any case don't like spooky installs for apparently no good reason. And there seems to be a lot of poltergeist around NVIDIA as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    And there seems to be a lot of poltergeist around NVIDIA as of late.
    Not really.

In this case xorg-x11-server in Factory got changed to use update-alternatives to install libglx. This was done to actually ease some of the problems with the nvidia driver (especially if you install it "the hard way"), I suppose (I don't have access to the mentioned feature request/FATE entry).
    The nvidia driver packages have been adapted to this change as well to use update-alternative on openSUSE>13.1.

Unfortunately a mistake crept in, and libglx was now installed to the new location on 12.3/13.1 as well, but update-alternatives was not called there of course, so the symlink was wrong.
    Nothing "poltergeist" really, just a human mistake/oversight.
    And it has been fixed within 24hrs this time (even though it was weekend).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234